Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through October 02, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mud - I think Irv Wolf was the principal.....not 100% sure

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Correct....Irving Wolf was the principal in the late '50's into the '60's......I'm certain that you were on a first name basis with him...well...at least he was on a first name basis with you based on your number of visits to his office for various misdemeanors if not felonies.

(Message edited by GoBlue on September 17, 2007)

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey you guys...do you happen to remember a really great swimming teacher at Denby who would have taught the summer beginning swimming class there during the summer of 1966? I would love to thank her...ideas? she helped me get over a fear of water...

Eastside61

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M - Thompson......or something close to that?????

Goblue

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M: Sorry...'66 was after my time...but Eastside61 maintained his connections well past his era...witness the photos on various websites.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, Eastside! any idea if she's still alive?

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue - My wife Pat Kelly, Denby '63 attended Finney when it was a grade school. Cannon Recreation was on the south side, Finney was later expanded into a high school and it sucked up Cannon Recreation in the process.

Goblue

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket: Your wife was four years behind me. I was Jan. '59. I remember when Finney went up and the rec building disappeared.

Eastside61

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket - I hung out with a lot of guys who were Cannon Tars. I student taught at Finney in '65 just before grad. from MSU. It was an interesting experience, a very good high school initially and I had a GREAT master teacher who taught me alot......I don't remember Pat but I do remember chasing a lot of Denby Foxes around who lived in that neighborhood.....

Goblue

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Fess up ES61...you weren't JUST "chasin'" TAR foxes...story is you caught more than a few...and broke SH's heart in the process...shame on you!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I learned from the Fordham Master.....Thanks!!!! have you located SH anywhere on the earth????

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attn: All Denby Tars. Denby and the Denby threads are featured in this week's DetroitYES eNEWs.

Thanks all for a great thread!

Goblue

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yes....SH lives somewhere in a place called Alamito Hills, CA....I think its just south of San Fran. Apparently after her heart was broken she went through several marriages attempting to rediscover herself....but now has joined an order of cloistered nuns. What a waste!!! Shame on you!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I remember at the 20 yr reunion SH was searching for a Lutheran deacon or church elder who she admired.....she talked about how he played rt wing on some hockey club and was a true educator.....

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know the name of the teachers who taught drivers ed at Denby? I took it in the mid 60's and if I recall correctly the class may have been taught in some portable class rooms.

Eastside61

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S4Me - Several - George Shahady - John Ramm are two that I remember teaching Drtraining

Stinger4me

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who went to Denby, anybody know of a girl named Betty Kumaus? She may have lived on Rossiter. I knew her through a friend of mine who went to Highland Park CC, was friends with a Kathy Shock from GP.

Goblue

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger: the name Kathy Shock sort of rings a bell.

Eastside61

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sting / GB: I could run the name K Shock past the CSI investigators...it is the GP part that makes it iffy.....GB - You dated every girl who attended Denby between 1956 and 1966 while you were the assistant night manager at the Duchess Drive in during those years....look back over you hit list.....Sally, Sandy...go to the Kathy's.....

Stinger4me

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy Shock(sp?) had frosted hair probably brown, Betty Kumaus had really dark hair and a smile that would make you melt. I will check on this again to determine if your CSI investigators have any success.

Goblue

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...by '66 I had a kid with S.E.'59...besides, one date with SH hardly compares to your ventures with her!! The only time I was at the foot of Lakewood was a Sunday afternoon and I was looking for investment property...I did note the bronze plaque with your name on it though on that one visit. I wonder if Kathy Shock could have been a younger sister of Norvell?

Eastside61

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Good thinking! KS is a familiar name for some reason....

Goblue

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well....I'm sure that its difficult trying to remember them all.

Eastside61

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Since all the Elms with ET + who ever carved into them are gone....we will never know your true history....maybe because of the carving of the initials they were the trigger for Dutch Elm disease....
Go Green!

Goblue

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: NEVER put ANYTHING in writing!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - since SH is a u OF m alumni....get on the alumni web site and you will find her in AZ....I have listed your home address, Phone NuMBERS, E-mail address, SS# and AZ License # on the BO thread...You better turn off the lights and head for the mountains...wear green and a touch of white....

Goblue

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Wow!! Those Greenies sure get their panties wadded up tight don't they...I'm still rolling on the floor laughing about how easy it was to jerk their chains...tell me Doc...what does that say about their inferiority complexes??

But...your counsel is well taken...I think I'll head for the secret cave for a couple days...its near a little known gold stream so I might take a little time to do some panning. The pass is well mined so any fool coming through will have a deadly surprise.

Eastside61

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Better check out the BO site.....Your MA from MSU has been exposed and was SH listed amongst the alumni????

Goblue

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Shoot...I never set foot on the MSU campus...of course, that doesn't preclude one from having a degree from said university. Actually, I think I did once...we were recruiting teachers from what was admittedly an outstanding school of ed...that might have been around '67 or '68.

Eastside61

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You were probably busy talking to Bo......and just realize what you missed......outstanding university....outstanding campus and outstanding education.....OH! that's right you were actually trained at WMU....GO BRonco's....