Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through October 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is L.11,E.28 at Milwaukee and Riopelle.
E.28 went out of service in 1940. E 13 moved here in 1951. Remember, steamer companies were two piece. The steamer and hose wagon.Plagerized from Clarence Woodards History of the D.F.D.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to guess that the first picture isn't a firehouse, because of the glass block which seems out of character. Plus the other firehouses are so massive(as they should be), even the single engine houses.

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't looking at that, I was thinking that it didn't have a second floor either. But since this was in the area of OLD LADDER 13, I thought it might have been changed over the years.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansing, I'm not familiar with the building pictured in your post #22. Somewhere in the 7th Battalion you say (southwest)? My guess is not a firehouse, but that is just a guess.

Tony's explanation for the doors in your post #23 works for me. I don't think a chief ever ran there; I wonder if EMS used that extra door during the few years of the EMS era when that firehouse was active. A tillerman was decapitated by the bay door there in the '70s.

Dfd

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how did the spaghetti dinner go?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't able to make it. Dad is in the hospital and needs some pretty risky surgery. Please keep him in your prayers. He'll be having the surgery on Oct 4th.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dinner was a success.A lot of hard work
went into it.I didn't attend.Spoke with
friends who did.
D teach: GOOD LUCK with dads surgery !

Lansingfire

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, what's a touchdown at a fire? Listening tonight the fellows said they need a touchdown at a house fire.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "DUTCH DOWN ". It is a ladder.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that makes more sense. but where does the name come from?

Dfd

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, how's your dad? Tell him "hi" from KY.
I'm glad to hear that the spaghetti dinner was a success!

Ffdfd

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansing, I don't know how the dutchtown got its name, but it is the small extension ladder we use to access an attic through the joists or to span a staircase with burned out steps.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad is doing great, he's back at home now.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news DT. You can't keep an old chief down.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The correct name for that small compact ladder was Dutchtown and it is a combination ladder and the name was originally the manufacturers brand name of the ladder. If you find an old antique one thats now out of service you'll see it on the name plate. Somehow the name go carried over thru the years so a combination ladders is nicknamed the Dutchtown.

PS Im DbnFD FEO retired

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Ffdfd and Birwood for the Dutchtown
info.I can't believe I have been mispronouncing
it all these years.
D teach glad to here dad is O.K.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the well wishes! Soon he'll be up and irritating everyone... :-)

Lansingfire

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, or who ever

Can you explain why GP wouldn't call for the DFD fireboat? They had two boats going last night and laid a lot of line. Do they not help each other??? Would DFD not take the boat out of the city? That would be Squad 4 correct?? Seems silly not to use all resources available.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does detroit still have a working fire boat???

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroits boat is out of service in dry dock with some serious costly engine & steering problems.
generally Detroit will send the boat anywhere along the waterfront. I know they have sent it to Trenton and Windsor

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood is correct. The boat called out of
service last week. I thought the problems had been repaired. Please fill me in on the G.P.
boat fire. I am not aware of the incident.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when it's in service is it still at the foot of the blvd.?

Lansingfire

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=da7f27c7-105b -46d7-89dc-e100f9bc0ec8

Hope the link goes through. Channel 7 has a report on it.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony sent you an email.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansingfire: Thank You.
Karl jr: Yes.

Dfd

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,
Thanks for the good news about your dad!

Lansingfire

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hear how bad the fire was at Eng 57 quarters? May be left the stove on? I know they were at a house fire, but didn't hear the dispatch info on the quarters fire.

Dfd

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find anything the other day on the Detroit news websites.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard anything new either. Tony was going to look into it. I still hear them on the scanner so I guess they're still in service.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick comment....I've really enjoyed lurking on this thread. Thanks for all the great posts and photos. Sorry I haven't anything to contribute.