Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » The Detroit Lions » Archive through October 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5930
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure as heck wasn't the prettiest of games by any stretch. I think both teams have a lot to go back home and improve upon. That being said, the Lions did manage a victory and in the record books and stats, there weren't any points deducted for style.

What was nice to see was the grit that Kitna showed, the defensive front four smelling blood, and maybe a glimpse of this team's lack of panic in tight situations like this.

What I thought was abyssmal was the lack of a running game STILL, our inability to hang onto to the ball during drives, a lack of depth at QB, and surprisingly Jason Hanson's missed kick to win it in regulation.

We've beaten two bad teams; two teams we were expected to beat. If confidence can be carried over, we're going to need it against a much tougher opponent next week against Philadelphia on the road. We still have a fair amount of improvement to do but for the meantime, let's savor the 2-0 start for a bit.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John kitna is the man, he may not be the most talented, but I saw heart man, after the game we gave him a standing o and when he left the field he tripped while high fiving fans, the first
quarterback loved in this town since kramer.

Roy williams kind of sucked today

Smogboy

Post Number: 5931
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question- when Kitna threw that pass that got batted down at the line and back into his own hands, is he also considered the receiver on it as well? How does that go in the stats?

As far as Roy WIlliams sucking? I wouldn't go that far. He's still consistently the number one threat we have to offer. He gets chucked, double and triple teamed at times. I will admit that I am dismayed about his ability to hang onto to the football the first two games. In the first game- he let one slip through and it was listed as an interception and in this game, he did lose the ball at what could've been a critical drive. For all of these little foibles, he's still one of the best receivers we've had in awhile.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think he got the sense knocked into him

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, two wins isn't too shabby. I'm holding out hope for a 7 and 9 season. Or, be still my heart, 8 and 8!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9828
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until they play real NFL football teams.
Other than consistently losing in the fourth quarter they still resemble the team from last year.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Smogboy, Kitna received a catch. He completed passes to 9 receivers including himself during the game.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11688
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Other than consistently losing in the fourth quarter they still resemble the team from last year.

So, the only difference is they now know how to win in the fourth quarter. Perhaps there wasn't that much wrong with last year's team then? They lost something like 8 games by a touchdown or less. If the only difference between this year and last is that they win, then hell, I say that's a pretty damn good improvement!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions are down 21-zip after only 11+ minutes into the first quarter. And to the underdog Eagles, to boot.

Hell, the Packers beat them two weeks ago.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a disaster

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4030
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At only 3+ minutes into the second quarter, it's now 35 to zip, Eagles....

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey lyin's fans, Is KJ makin' a difference? You are seeing the real Lyin team today. What a defense, what an offense. 4 wins at the very most for this season. Keep selling out they're home games and expect the same for the next 50 years. If your proud of this team, you need serious mental help. 50 years ago since last championship. What a class organization. Keep selling the games out. Duh!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last week didn't sell out. Meijer had to buy the remaining tickets

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favre, OTOH, has two TDs and 185 passing yards (plus two rushing yards) at half time (Packer 3-point lead) and only needs one or two more TDs to set or break yet another quarterback record to the dozens? he already holds.

However, the Pack must have stolen the Lions play book. Down four points midway through the fourth, the Pack had five chances with first-and-goal at the 1 and gave up the ball on downs!

But wait! There must be a God after all... With two minutes left in the game, the Pack gets the ball back and on second-and-ten, Favre throws a 57-yard TD, puts the Pack up by three, and Favre ties the all-time passing TD record.

Less than a minute later, the Pack intercepts and returns to the two, and two plays later, a rushing TD puts the game out of reach for SD.

Packers, now 3-0.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 23, 2007)

20043_stotter

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, Glad you told me. I'm going to stop shopping at Meier's.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4035
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harrington gets his first Falcons' TD--69 yards. Falcons up by 4 in the first quarter...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 23, 2007)

Smogboy

Post Number: 5958
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of those things that the experts have said abou the Lions came so abundantly true yesterday. Their pass defense made for a career day for McNabb and our front four couldn't even get near their QB to put any heat on them. I don't even recall hearing the announcers once mentioning Shaun Rogers, Cory Redding, Kalimba Edwards, DeWayne White of any of the other guys that fill in. I also think that Philly's a fine example of what can be done if they have a offensive line that has played together and understand one another (nearly two seasons intact).

A few other things I would love to see them work on this week and every week from here on out is their tackling. Granted Westbrook is about as talented and slippery as they come, but the entire team needs to do better on that aspect., especially against the screen.

Admittedly up until it was 42-21 did I really doubt that the Lions could still conceivably come back. I still love their quick strike ability, but I wonder how a tired defense feels having to go back out there so quickly. I'd like to see the Lions manage the play clock a little bit, eat up some time and I think they were doing that towards the end but it was too late by then. One also has to question why Marinelli left Kitna in the game as late as he did as well, conversely for Andy Reid too.

As far as our receiving group goes, I still believe in their immense talent but focus focus focus there, Roy Williams! A few of his catches there could've changed the outcome a little bit. One can only hope that Calvin Williams is okay too; it was an amazing catch that he snared on his game ending injury (now THAT was focus!).

Another game done with. Bring on the Bears; hopefully our personnel isn't too dinged up and we can have a solid game against the Bears.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are the Lions playing with the Bears by running the ball? Throw the damn ball until they stop you.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think part of the reason the Lions were trying to run the ball more often was clock management and as a confidence booster. They needed to prove to themselves that Kevin Jones & Tatum Bell could still get some much needed ground gains.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^and they succeeded in that.

But let's not kid ourselves. That Bears team is weak. All the Lions did is expose that. They played well, don't get me wrong, but that wasn't last year's Bears defense.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6010
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few things I'd like to see looked into and improved upon after the completion of this game is the scheme to protect Kitna. Sure we know he's a tough nosed sort of character but if he keeps getting sacked half a dozen times every game- we need to do something. I'm thinking either adding in quicker two step drops or something quicker developing to keep the heat off of him; and that's not to say we still don't look downfield either. We need to stretch the other team's defense and keep them honest.

Ideally we'd have a solid core of big tough offensive linemen to keep our QBs safe but since we don't, I'd like to see Martz come up with something.

One other aspect of our passing game that seems missing is a tight end. Beyond the four wideouts that must scare the opponents to death, why can't we swing a TE into a flat to throw the other team off? Or is Jon Bradley the fullback supposed to fulfill that need somehow?

Beyond that I'm sure there are more things that I can raise that I think the Lions need to do (plenty more) but for now we can savor the victory for a bit. Weeks from now we're not going to remember this game's minutia beyond the fact it counts as a W in the columns.

Beyond the fact that Chicago's really dinged up, it's a part of the game. No excuses are given at all. Injuries can make the most talented team look less than feeble. We were opportunistic, played pretty hard and came away with a victory.

And here's to Calvin Johnson coming back soon. He does add something to the mix that other teams have to account for. And while there's some hype about him, he's been subtlely amazing and relatively low key so far. Watching him develop is going to be a treat within the next few years.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6011
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One really nice improvement I noticed from the Philly game to the Chicago game was the Lions tackling. It was nice to see the Lions guys wrap up the other team's players as opposed to swiping at air or doing feeble arm tackles. I'd like to think Marinelli brought that up as a major bone of contention from last week (there was more than enough to see) AND better yet, to see that improved upon is nice.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One word: Wow!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6016
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more inclined to go with: wow... for now.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2390
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions have never won in DC in 20 tries. They always seem to play in DC. When was the last time the Lions played the Redskins in Detroit? Also, when was the last time the Lions beat the Redskins?

Smogboy

Post Number: 6018
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the last time the Lions beat the Redskins was in an MGM gladiator movie.

I think this tale gets old everytime the Lions prepare to play them but again, they have yet to break that string. I'm sure Rod Marinelli and every Lion is aware of that record but the one thing that still holds true is that the game is still played on the turf and not in the history books. We can only hope that this somewhat confident (and relatively healthy) bunch can go in there and snap that string.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. No dice. Not just yet.

Joe Gibbs had a masterful plan of attack against the Lions. Keeping the ball for what seemed like forever just plain wore us down. Their time of possession to ours was sick! Their trenches dominated ours and credit goes to their secondary as well for bottling up our receivers (whereas teams like Chicago, Minnesota & Oakland couldn't); the sacks they got were off of the coverage. Kitna never had an opportunity to look downfield and throw properly.

I really didn't think our defense played too horribly in the first half. We were only down by 14 and based upon the time they had the ball you'd think we'd be down by a lot more. It was a dominant performance by the Redskins and we'll walk away into the bye week with a lot of ugly footage to look at.

It's time to right the ship again.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again? For that matter... ship? What ship?

There is no ship.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ship was there a few weeks ago when we were taking on Oakland, Minnesota and Chicago. This week we had the oars sheered off and flailed about mightily. Hurricane Gibbs came at us in the right direction and smashed us against the rocks pretty good.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ship is "The Ship Of Fools".