Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through October 31, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries Ray. Do you know what we call a person who couldn't pass the fire exam? A cop. :-)

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray,
Do you live in the D?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the fire at 57's was a kitchen
fire.An auto parked out side was also damaged.
The real damage was to the cooks reputation.
One of those unfortunate incidents that you
never live down.Not the first time this has
happened, nor the last.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all for this great thread; you have put a lot of human face on this great service. Every time I am out photographing now and see a fire house, I think about this thread.

Here are some shots from the upper southwest side from Monday.

Detroit Firehouse

Detroit Firehouse

Detroit Firehouse

Detroit Firehouse

I'll leave the id's and stories up to you.

One question, however, what is the story of the pink and black doors on E-37?

I am trying to recall if I have ever seen anything other than red used.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what happens when you use the "BARGAIN
BRAND RED ". Looks great till the sun hits it.
Must agree with your assessment of this thread.
I learn from every post.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any firehouse cooks want to share some good recipes from cooking at the house?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell : Your first photo is of E.Co.10 and L.Co.4 at Vinewood & W. Gr. Blvd. The bay doors are the new metal "Sardine Can " doors.
The crew painted them to look like the old wood swing open doors. D.F.D. ingenuity.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus : Don't take any recipes from the
crew at 57's.

Ffdfd : Your reply to Ray reminded me of a
story Conrad Bist ( retired Chief
of Arson ) told me . When "Connie"
transferred from Firefighting to
Arson he had to go thru training
at the Police Academy. He was older
than the rest of the class and a
Firefighter. Resentment to him was
evident. He completed the course
at the head of the class in all
areas.The instructor told Connie
he did so well he should transfer
to the Police Department. Connie,
after enduring weeks of resentment,
replied," My parents are married.I
can stay in the Fire Department ".

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus: My dad always has claimed that the cooks at the 10-4 are THE BEST! He would drive from other houses just to eat there! Dad is a picky eater so if he claims them to be the best, they must be! I'd go there for some recipes :-)

Dfd

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, thanks for the kind words and the pictures, keep them coming!. Invaluable (did I spell that right) information and history from the posters. DT, how's dad doing?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: Dad is doing great! Thanks for asking :-)

Ffdfd

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey Ray,
Do you live in the D?

Ray1936 has "copped" to being retired DPD now living in Nevada, thus my little jab.

Lowell's first picture is Engine 10's quarters at Vinewood and W. Grand Blvd., shared with Ladder 4 until July 2005 when L4 was deactivated. Vinewood is not a wide street, which makes backing the truck into the bay quite the challenge for an inexperienced driver. Years ago I drove L4 and remember making the boss very nervous with my repeated attempts to line the truck up correctly. Based on his previous descriptions, I'm pretty sure the recipient of said stress was El_Jimbo's father. Officers make the big bucks to deal with such tension.

Second photo is old Engine 22 on Michigan near Military -- disbanded July 1983.

Third photo is the former Engine 37 at Central and Dix, disbanded July 2005. I believe a medic unit still runs there.

Fourth photo is the home of Engine 33/Ladder 13 at Lafayette and Lawndale.

Southwest Detroit is the "Fighting" 7th Battalion. 10s and 33s are in the 7th, and 37s was 7th Battalion at heart even though it was in the 2nd. Lots of pride and great firefighters in the 7th. I've never run there but have always enjoyed my details to Southwest.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad was Chief 7 for a few years and LOVED it! He always felt more at home at those houses.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4274
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Fire Department E47

E47 / L30

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what's going on at Eastern Market today Sat Oct 27th? Hzmt 1 & 2, E 9, so far are heading there for a "community event"

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Angels Night" P.R. many companies doing
same. E.47 and E.52 were built alone.Later
the truck quarters were built and door cut
between them.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray1936 has "copped" to being retired DPD now living in Nevada, thus my little jab."

Hey, I'll admit I fled MI twelve hours after my last working day. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Seriously, I've lurked this thread since it was started. Absolutely fascinating. Thanks to all the contributors for your insight....and photos.

Didn't know but a handful of firefighters during my years on the job. Herman Rubarth and Carl Hopfner are a couple that come to mind.

When I worked the Motorcycle Traffic Bureau in the late 60s, early 70s, used to follow a rig heading on a run and write the idiots who refused to yield to them. Got a lot of good tickets that way...and probably a lot of "thumbs up" from the guys on the rig.

Now....back to lurking.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When I worked the Motorcycle Traffic Bureau in the late 60s, early 70s, used to follow a rig heading on a run and write the idiots who refused to yield to them.

Boy, do I wish you were still here doing that.

Dfd

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ray, good to hear from you.
Detroitteacher, is there any news on the t-shirts?
Lowell, thanks again for the pictures!

Lansingfire

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a running list for the next couple days? I've already heard E 37x but they're not with L 16 which is where I thought they would be. I know it's going to be busy stay safe out there.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would assume E37x would run out of old E37's quarters at Central and Dix. E36 is the one that ran with L16. There was an E36x recently when the city had manpower but not enough trucks to put L16 in service, so a crew was put in service at L16's quarters with an engine. That lasted a very short time and stopped a few weeks ago.

I heard there was going to be an E26X at L14's quarters and maybe an E18x at L10's quarters. Not sure if that happened, though.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. E37x was going on an alarm with L22 that's why it through me off.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd Alarm Comm in the 4th Batt. Came in late, unsure where.

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello firefighters! I have a question. When I was a kid - 50 years ago, I had a cousin named Ted (Edward) Cooney who was a Detroit firefighter. His father was also named Edward and he was also a firefighter. Their great? grandfather was supposed to be the Detroit Fire chief back in the 1900's when they used horses. His name was Martin Cooney. They were Irish. Does anyone know anything about my cousins? Thanks so much! BTW. I used to be a reporter and had the honor of going into three training fires with Spingfield Townhip Chief Charlie Oaks and also with the Groveland Townhip FD in full gear. It was awesome! Had to remember to jiggle that alarm box, LOL, otherwise it beeped! Thanks, Drifter.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard anything on T-shirts. I'll email my contact and find out, though.

Drift: Post your question on detroitFirefighters.net (on the message boards). Someone there is bound to know something about your family.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I was a little kid in the 60's, my grandfather was driving us home from church. My grandmother and I were in back seat and my great aunt was is the front. I don't recall how the accident happened, (think grandpapa had a medical emergency) but anyway the fire dept. came and we were put in what would be the equivalent of today's EMS trucks. It wasn't one of the old station wagon type ambulances but some type of van?? I do know it was red. My grandmother and I weren't hurt. She saw the accident coming and put her arm in front of me to keep me from hitting the back of the front seat. My great aunt had some type of leg injuries I think and she was placed on a stretcher. My grandfather I don't remember his injuries. I remember sitting on a bench in the truck where you sat sideways facing each other. What stands out in my mind was the fireman who put his arm around me and smiled just to let me know everything would be ok.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well kids, it's midnight, time for me to head to bed. But for those of you that might want to know. From 7:30pm-12:00

23 Box Alarms
15 Stretches
2 1St E & T
6 False Alarms

For not having a full time 3rd Batt. The temp tonight in the 3rd was putting the miles on. 8 Boxes for him.

4 in 9th Batt
1 in 8th Batt
0 in 7th Batt
2 in 6th Batt
3 in 5th Batt
2 in 4x Batt
8 in 3x Batt
2 in 2nd Batt
1 in 1st Batt

As I finish the 4th Batt has picked off another vac dwelling going. Hope the rest of the night is a safe one.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can that be Lansing? The TV news was reporting that all was quiet -- just a couple small rubbish fires.

The radio traffic was constant -- "Send me the box" and "Stretching on a dwelling going throughout" were the phrases of the day. Fox 2 must not have a scanner.

Great to see all the volunteers and cops out there though. Without them it would have been a whole lot worse.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to remember that King Kwamie rules all. All I did was listen and keep track. I didn't even keep track of the garage, rubbish, or car fires. I do hope everyone was safe. I just don't understand how he could afford to place into service E 26, E 18, E 2, B 3. They've been in service for the last two days. Amazing what happens when the nations eyes are looking to see if you're going to burn your city down.

Dfd

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitfirefighters.net

Is anyone else having trouble listening to dispatches online?