Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Detroit No longer HOCKEYTOWN?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy is full of Hot Air,,

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/ne ws?slug=rm-saintpaul110107&pro v=yhoo&type=lgns

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6355
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure. Look at some of the stats that he's tossing out there. Detroit/ JLA just doesn't support its hockey team the way it once did whereas in Minnesota, they're still selling out the stadium on a regular basis.

And he also states that this false title is for cities in the US. Want to talk serious Hockeytowns? Go to a Toronto or a Montreal and see how ravenous the fans get up there- to them, it's nearly a religon.

If you think he's full of hot air, explain... please.

Mr_onion

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because we have the Detroit Red wings, thats why. Hockey is an emotional sport and dam do we love our Wings.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6357
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Minnesotans love their Wild team as well AND they sell out their games. You think they're any less supportive of their team? They're obviously doing it by showing up to the games.

Unfortunately as much as we love our Wings, there just isn't enough support now to sell them out any more. Our entertainment dollar here is stretched thin; we've got a solid Pistons team, a surprisingly good Lions team (for now) and even a stellar Tigers team to divvy up the dollar. Beyond sports there are a multitude of great stage shows to see as well.

So if someone wants to lay claim to the Hockeytown moniker, so be it. Just because we love the Wings doesn't mean that it makes us a better hockeytown than St. Paul. Quit being a homer and look at it for what it's worth.

Mr_onion

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog ,I feel such animosity with your posts, relax, Detroit is known for Hockeytown , In the world of music Motown style of music doesn't sell records anymore, so Detroit isn't Motown now? In the world of hockey Detroit will Always be Hockeytown, Regardless of Ticket sales or seats filled, it just is.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6361
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr_onion...no animosity here. Unless you see the Red Wings changing their name to the "Hockeytown Red Wings"- it really doesn't matter who has title of Hockeytown unless you're the copyright attorney. Motown Records is a brand name (not just a style) and is still in existence. Sure, Ilitch owns the Hockeytown brand but they no longer use it for any of their marketing other than having it plastered on the ice. The Red Wings really don't even use the term Hockeytown outside of their retail store and themed restaurant. They don't even sell any merchandise sporting that old logo anymore. It's reality.

And if someone else wants to lay claim to the title because they feel as though they have the sufficient numbers of people, the enthusiasm (yes, other teams have fans just as rabid as we Red Wing fans), the marketing, and the gall- so be it. I just don't understand the vehemnet need to fight for this imaginary title. Why work yourself up to claiming this writer is full of hot air? Relax and let it go. You can still be a Red Wings & hockey fan without this marketing gimmick. It's a bogus argument.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This item was discussed on radio,The Sports Inferno 97.1 FM and 90% of callers agreed that we are not and shouldn't be called hockeytown anymore. However to me, Detroit will always be hockeytown. Besides, look at the way our wings are playing now, like hockeytown kings, wearing the hockeytown crown. Go wings.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah all those callers think we are not Hockeytown just cause we haven't won the Stanley cup lately...just wait till we do again and they will jump back on the bandwagon.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah........ consider how much time is spent on 97.1 talking about hockey. Now consider how much time is spent talking about Lions, Tigers and Pistons. It is a disgrace. Our Wings are in first place with the hottest player in the league on the team.

For as much attention the wings have brought to Detroit over the past 10-15 years VS. attention brought by Tigers and Lions over 10-15 years........ I would say that we are deflecting the recognition.

Don't worry people..... the Lions will find a way to disappoint you. The pistons will do well, but they are not guaranteeing anything. The Red Wings WILL make the playoffs.

The media needs to start acknowledging the all-star hockey team we have. I could care less if we stick with Hockeytown or not. It is a self-appointed label like Howard Stern gave himself the "King of Media" label. The lack of popularity with the sport is what really burns me.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4570
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fact: Hockey is B O R I N G! to the vast majority in the US, including Detroit. Otherwise, the media would gladly oblige, knowing that it would be good for business. But hockey doesn't interest all that many, really...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey is "rugby on ice with baseball bats played by football goons with the stamina of basketball players".

And if the wussies in the media wouldn't bitch so much about fighting, you could toss in "Light-heavyweight rounds" as well!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6413
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guaranteeing the Red Wings making the playoffs isn't that bold of a statement. Over half the league makes it in.

Let's be realistic- as much as I adore and follow the Red Wings, I really think this is much more of a football town. As huge of a parade as we had for the Wings for their Cups as of late, I can almost guarantee you that Woodward (or wherever the parade route would be) would be overflowing if the Lions ever won the Super Bowl.

Bettman hasn't exactly done much to endear future & past Wings fans as well. He's changed the game as well as losing a handful of the really good rivalries. And woe to the Ilitches because even after the salary cap was put into place, the ticket prices didn't drop. I didn't appreciate that and I know I'm not the only fan to be a little miffed; it just spoke of greed.

I still enjoy watching the Wings games but in years past I loved the Wings. And like I've said before, we're all on tighter budgets now- that mighty entertainment dollar can only be stretched so far now.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still see many ppl with the giant winged wheel on the back windows of their cars, trucks, ect...the fans are still there...in fact the winged wheel is the most used sports logo I have ever seen...ppl put it everywhere...I have seen it on the side of a cement truck...and I myslef have a winged wheel sticker on the dashboard of both my cars.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4572
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What might the radio/TV ratings of their games be? Are they also reflecting the losses that the attendance has. If anybody knows what the ad revenue is from the games could shed some light because the ratings is but one part of the equation. Revenue is the only stat that really matters.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hence, the name of my boat...

"Puck @ It!"

With the Wings logo (@) in the middle.

And Sat. night, I watch HNIC and "Grapes".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.