Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » LLOYD CARR RETIRING « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mgoblog.com/

I'm sure that details will follow.

Win one for Lloyd this weekend! And I think we still owe Bo a win over OSU.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like time....

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That rumor has been around for a while, but there's been no official word on Carr retiring

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4015
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on ABC during the later game they mentioned a 10am press conference on monday called by the UM AD.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lloyd retiring will be the end of a football era that was mostly a running game thru the line. That kind of football is dead now. It's all about speed and spreads. The new football is much more exciting and high scoring. It appears that Carr didn't embrace it and couldn't adapt to it, but he can hold his head up high for the great W/L record he had. Not only that, his character is exemplary. I don't know if he has the heart to ever coach for another team.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good bye Lloyd, you will be missed

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4306
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lloyd has also been diagnosed with early stage Parkinson's disease. It may be time for a graceful exit from a great career.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4017
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with stotter's assessment entirely.

Lowell, that is news to me.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know if he has the heart to ever coach for another team."

What the hell does that mean. He either coaches for UM or retires. Are you talking about coaching Army like Bobby Ross did after quiting on the Lions.
Hats off to Lloyd, shit he won 11 in a row last year and 8 in a row this year with both stars hurt. He won us a national championship and kept us winning year after year. I agree the game is changing and he probably should retire.

(Message edited by kenp on November 17, 2007)

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear he is in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. My aunt died of it, and it was not very pretty. May God Bless you, Lloyd, I am sorry for all of the bad things I said about you this season. Considering all of the injuries the team suffered, you did a very good job getting 8 victories. What would have happened if Henne and Hart had been healthy today? They sure showed a lot of guts trying to beat the Buckeyes. With the pain, unfortunately, they couldn't do it...Thanks for you effort. It was appreciated.

I do hope Michigan can hire Les Miles to replace Lloyd, he's done one hell of a job at LSU. They are fun to watch. Les is a Michigan Man through and through. I think the team needs someone who played for Bo...That is no knock on Lloyd, what so ever, it just hurts like holy hell to lose 4 times in a row to that team in Columbus.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with all of you.

Kenp, I think Stotter meant that Carr is a Michigan man and would not coach elsewhere.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are correct Mackinaw...I really don't see Lloyd coaching anywhere else. He will probably get a job as assistant AD or some such...

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack, That's exactly what I meant. Carr is and will always be a Michigan man.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carr is a Michigan Man and that means a lot.

God bless him and help him and his family with his illness

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell that is wrong and cavalier at best to post something unsubstantiated about someone's health.A few unnamed sources or blogs saying Carr has Parkinsons disease is not in any way definitive.It tells us nothing other then rumor.

If Carr retires Miles is the ideal choice. Michigan ties without the inbreeding that has gone on since Schembechler took over. The Schembechler era was as good as anyone could expect.Now it is time for something else.Miles has been away long enough that he has established himself.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thoughtful post Citylover.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4643
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AP: Michigan coach Carr to step down after 13 season with Wolverines

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear if Carr has the early stages of Parkinsons...

He was a great coach and a great person...

Hats off to a great coach, you will be missed in Ann Arbor!

<313>

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not being a UM grad or Slappy, just a college football fan my thoughts run to "What have you done for me lately."
I'll remember Carr as the coach who couldn't beat OSU, nor win a Bowl game. Let's hope the future of UM football includes a few wins that mean something.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4030
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was 6-7 against OSU. He has had bad late seasons/bowls since Tom Brady left, with the exception of 2003.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6474
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As reported in the Freep today...

Carr also addressed the rumors that have flown for the past 5-7 years regarding his health, saying he is good health and does not understand where that speculation originated.

“It bothers me,” Carr said. “The thing that’s happened with the Internet is some guy puts something on a blog and it has no substance. People print things that have no basis in fact. I think that’s a problem.”

So unless someone out there knows anything proof positive about his health condition, I say we all back off continuing this unsubstantiated story.

Regardless of how one thinks of Lloyd- a legend or a bust, let's at least give this guy a measure of respect as he retires from his gig.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://mgoblue.com/document_di splay.cfm?document_id=26131

Thanks for everything, Lloyd. You, along with Biakabatuka, Griese, Thomas, Woodsoon, Toomer, Streets, Collins, Brady, Jackson, Terrell, Edwards, and others, are synonomous with my formative years as a Michigan football fanatic. You are synonomous with great defenses, big ten championships, and a national championship. You are synonomous with being a humble winner, always looking forward to the next challenge. Despite your more recent struggles against some formidable opponents, no one will ever speak badly of your impressive tenure.

---
That's good to know re: his health condition. Lowell, you have some explaining to do.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Spartan fan, I will say that for the most part I did respect Lloyd Carr a great deal. He was an old school coach who remembered that being a coach was more than about wins and losses. It is also about teaching boys how to be men (which is one of the reasons I also think so highly of MSU coach Mark Dantonio). Too many coaches these days have forgotten that aspect of their job and I'm afraid it is becoming a lost art.

I'm thrilled to hear that the rumors about his health are not true and I hope he enjoys a very happy and well deserved retirement.

That being said, I will say that I've always thought he looked like the love child of Jimmy Stewart and Gargumel from the Smurfs and that I fully support his recommendation of DeBord as the new UM head coach. Hopefully he can do for UM what he did for CMU.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4043
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be shocked if it's DeBord.

Kenp

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo,
Im sure you do wish for DeBord, however, it aint gonna happen.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo, DeBord was 12-34 at CMU, including going 1-3 against rival WMU. I highly doubt you want him to do that for UM, lol.

Oh wait, you said you're a Spartan fan. I get it. haha.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a true class guy

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxsports.com has a good story on Carr right now. Two impressive stats -
Of Michigan's 40 losses under Carr only 1 was to a school with a losing record that year and only 13 were by more than 7 points.

Get healthy boys and give the coach a proper sendoff.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who only remembers Lloyd Carr for his record in bowls or against Ohio State is a short sighted fool.

"With a career record of 121-40, Carr trails just Schembechler (194 wins) and Fielding H. Yost (165 wins) among Michigan's coaches in terms of victories"

121-40, that's 0.751 and pretty damned good

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6483
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone considered how the death of his mentor, Bo Schembechler might've influenced his decision to retire as well?

I'm not sure anyone can truly escape Bo's shadow at Michigan, but if ever there was someone, it was Lloyd. I can't even imagine how he must've felt after Bo's passing and having to play OSU last year (and losing). Coming back this year must've been an ordeal knowing he no longer had someone like Bo to at least bounce things off of.

Regardless of his own personal reasons for wanting to leave, I wish the guy well. He turned some young boys at Michigan into men and that can't be overlooked.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh-oh,

Article in the freep today says that DeBord is meeting with Martin. Perhaps you Wolvies might actually get stuck with DeBord after all. :-)

Kenp

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha. Its just for show

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6838
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!

Good Riddance to the winner hog!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.