Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through November 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6278
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we didn't see Maybin at ALL this season up with the Bigs is fine by me. Give the kid a chance to get acclimated to playing the lower level before bringing him up. Admit it... last season's experiment with him here in Detroit went a bit awry. I say we leave him be in Toledo or Erie and let him play every day, get his swings in and earn his way up here.

He might have all of the tools but he's still raw. Again, I consider Maybin a prospect- he's no guarantee... kinda like recently traded Jurrjens & Hernandez! Until they can play their way up to this level, they're at where they belong.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6290
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel Zumaya just mangled his shoulder moving. It's reported he won't be back until the midpoint of next year.

CRAP!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6291
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn California wildfires have shafted the Tigers with the Zumaya injury. He botched it pretty good moving furniture supposedly. It's reported he had complete AC shoulder surgery yesterday.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6293
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariano Rivera in the mix perhaps?

Dombrowski's gotta be scratching his head.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or banging it against the table.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See--the Tigers should mandate that all players live in wildfire-free Michigan in the off-season!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6299
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say at the end of every season, we just freeze dry the entire team and keep them around safe & sound until Spring Training. It's ironic the injury also happened the week Guitar Hero 3 is released, but before the conspiracy theorists come into play, Dombrowski reported that Joel Z was helping his dad move stuff in San Diego. A noble cause although a kick in the pants to Tiger fans.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Son of a bitch. That's outrageous.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 926
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy has rocks in his head. First he messes up his wrist playing a video game, then he needs major surgery on his shoulder from moving furniture or having a box fall on him as ESPN is reporting. Someone in the Tigers organization might want to remind him that he's in MLB because of his arm, not anything else.

Million dollar arm, or at least it was, and a 10 cent head.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying REAL HARD to not be extremely pissed off at Zumaya. Zumaya may be collecting the major-league minimum salary, but that is still an impressive bundle of dough, and why a guy with an arm that could, very easily, end up being worth many millions would fuck around moving shit that he could damn well hire somebody else to deal with is REALLY beyond my understanding.
Rugbyman's imagery is, probably, 100% true-to-life. SHIT.

Ravine

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I could not possibly agree more with Rjk than I do. You got that shit right, buddy.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6302
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Guitar Hero fiasco with Zumaya is tough to stomach as a fan, but with this current instance I'm not so sure we can fault him. From the sounds of it, and according to what I've heard bandied about the airwaves- it was a box that fell on him at his dad's house in San Diego. Clearly AN ACCIDENT. For me, it's tough to lay fault with the guy here when it's an accident.

Sure these guys are making a big bundle of jingle but to hire people to move a few boxes even seems a bit extravagant? And it also sounded as though he was over at his dad's- whether it was specific to move those boxes or not, 99.5% this stupid accident wouldn't have happened.

Unfortunate yes but not one worthy of heaving blame at him, Ravine. Breathe in, breathe out... it'll be okay. I went through this earlier today too until I thought about how quirky this accident really was.

Ravine

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., Smogboy, O.K.... You're right; as usual, your level-headedness is an enviable trait to which I can barely aspire, but greatly admire.
SHIT.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to pull another one out of your sleeve, DD.

Ravine

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Russ Springer is a free agent, as he was expected to be, I very much wanted him here anyway. Now, we NEED him here.
SHIT.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

la familia takes over emotionally.
I feel for Joel and his accident, but he shoulda got some guys to help out, i don't know if time was a factor probably, but man that sucks for the tigers, fans Joel etc. what a bummer. My adrenalin always kicked up when Joel came to plate.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help but question if his excuse is even true. Once you've injured your wrist playing a video game and have been widely criticized by the media and fans you can't injure yourself again and say you did it playing football with some friends or the many other stupid ways that a baseball pitcher can injure his shoulder. Even if he said that he was helping his father move wouldn't cut it. When you add in that he was helping his father move because the fire was coming it buys him some cover and understanding from fans. It could have happened exactly as he said or he could just be using the best excuse he could think of. Once you injure wrist playing guitar hero, which is beyond stupid, people are going to question Zumaya's injuries, it just goes with the territory.

I thought Rosenberg had a great line about Zumaya in the Freep this morning: "Zumaya needs to stop treating his right arm like one of the 12 billion other arms currently in use on planet Earth. He must act like he has a rare antique porcelain vase dangling from his right shoulder."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071102/SPO RTS02/711020408/1048/SPORTS

Smogboy

Post Number: 6307
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, it's the day after Zumaya's Shoulder-gate incident. I'm still bummed as a Tigers fan obviously. Mad? Maybe a little bit, but how much of it is directed at Joel Zumaya? A little, but then that's why these incidents are called "accidents". Some media folk have nearly insinuated he's covering up something.

And despite Rosenberg's semi-patronizing article espousing him to be careful with his arm, who is ultimately going to pay the price here? We Tiger fans can be disappointed forever and a day but think about how many MILLIONS of dollars Joel Zumaya might've lost with this incident. Regardless of how it happened (and Rosenberg's artcile seems to question Zumaya's story a bit)- his arm will obviously take time to heal. Will the loyal Tigers' fans give him that breadth of space to breathe when he comes back and only tosses 85 MPH? I hope so.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

joel fydrich

Ravine

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks probably remember that I am very, very much a fan of Brandon Inge, despite his tepid performance at the plate this season. However, I gotta admit that this item really got me to thinking about just how absolutely devastating our lineup could be...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl e.jsp?ymd=20071106&content_id= 2294053&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.js p&c_id=mlb

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera is eating his way out to left field.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6383
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing is that the Marlins will want starters right now for the trade. While we've got some juicy prospects, I wonder who'd they would consider.

Ravine

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am convinced that Cabrera is a helluva hitter, but I'm not actually in favor of the Tigers even thinking about a move like that. Besides, we have my boy Inge signed to a big, fat contract that most teams wouldn't want, and some would find appalling.
I mean, I love the guy, but I'm sayin'.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: Inge.

One thing I like about this team is the chemistry.

There are a lot of GREAT guys on this team. Inge is one and Granderson is unbelievable as a person (as well as athlete).

I never want to see DET mess with the chemistry by trading or losing players like Inge.

Maroth was another super class guy I was sorry had to leave.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we stick with Inge, he is a class guy, great with fans, super defense, and hopefully his bat will improve a bit. With the other bats in the line up, he can be a good #9 hitter

Ravine

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, if Guillen handles 1B well-- and why would he not?-- that is a pretty nifty infield we'll be having.
I'm wondering if Infante will continue to have a job with this team. It's kind of funny, how it seems as though nobody has any particular opinion of him.
Tiger least welcome to return: Neifi Perez.
Tiger who would most benefit from a great March in Florida: Ryan Raburn.
Tiger who did best job of replacing departed role-player: Bobby Seay.
It's Great To See You Again Award: Vance Wilson.

Ravine

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More awards to Tigers!!http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl e.jsp?ymd=20071109&content_id= 2296988&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.js p&c_id=mlb

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great that the rest of the league recognizes a guy like Polanco, especially with the all the emphasis on power these days. I don't think there's a spot for Infante. He's one of a very long line of players that never learned to cut down on his swing. For utility guys with average defence, that spells AAA.

Ravine

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, welcome to DetroitYes.
Your comment on Infante is quite true. I suppose that's why, every now and then, he sees a fastball that looks good to him and gives it a pretty fair whack.
Polanco, a "hitter's hitter," absolutely deserves this award, but the truth is that, at the moment, the AL does not have a truly overwhelming bat coming from 2B. Still, I'm slightly surprised that Robinson Cano didn't receive the award. You know how it is; he's a Yankee.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rumor is we may be getting jones from the cubs, whom i liked.