Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through November 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: SJ definitely....and want to see SH on your lap...just give us warning...so that we can get under the tables before ME starts shooting.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - the Banana head CSI group better find her soon ..... Last time I was in a fight in a bar was one night in the mid '60's at East Warren Lanes.....Jack Ward, Christ Petrouleas (SE grads) got it started......I do remember one strohs being crushed on top of somebodys head....

Goblue

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My sister used to date a guy named Jack Ward...but he was a TAR and probably about class of '54.

I had a buddy get shot outside of the E. Warren Lanes...Tom Harrington...he survived...was a friend of the Tuschaks.

My general reaction when the bar fight sort of thing broke out was to get to the wall and ease my way to the exit...that or get to the pool table and gather up a collection of balls to throw....got caught up in one during undergrad years...townies and campus guys...had to get the hell out there before the cops showed up...was carrying a buddy's brother's ID. Fighting on the ice was one thing...off the ice I was a lover not a fighter.

Eastside61

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The JW I knew was a SE grad around that same time.....he later became the BBall coach at SE through the '60's and at the end of the decade moved on to Fraser or Warren....and Tom was the Bro of Keith who married Shar. Tuschak....I just heard from Tom Tuschak and he was thrilled that W crushed the banana's......looks like two losses in a row again....just like the start of the season.....Bye bye Lloyd....??????? Headed to the Shark Tank tonight as the HATED Phoenix coyotes will be here......hopefully we kick their ass toooooooooo!

Goblue

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Tom is Keith's cousin...Keith has an older brother but I can't recall his name.

Sad day in A2...but...OSU went down in flames also...hope springs for next Saturday's game.

I pretty much lost track of professional hockey after the Gordie Howe era...played against Howe and company one time...at WMU...we were the fresh meat they threw on the ice when the Red Wings were on a promotion tour...they were nice...they didn't hurt us...I think the score was somewhere around 203-0...just when we had them exhausted from shooting the time ran out!

I assume that boyfriend-in-law provides good seats?!

Eastside61

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The true story is yes! but since moving here since 1969 and having the Fins arrive in 91 I have been a Sharks fan since that time...and did it right by taking both girls to games from the mid 90's on.......then bought season tickets with a friend around 96....and Oldest D and Husband have had season tickets since 2002......and with youngest hanging with JC for almost 2 years I have access to tickets and last night sat with the girl friends and wives....and very interesting atmosphere.....But daughter AAE is very into the game .....and the Fins won 4 -1 - I actually play wiffle ball in the summer and the Sharks group sales manager plays and is a good friend, too....so lets say I have access.........and as you know it is a GREAT game.....in fact the best as far as I am concerned.....

Goblue

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Fins? Sharks? Is that sort of AAA level? Seriously...I don't recognize the names. I'll best it was interesting sitting with girlfriends and wives...I'll bet they were all very solicitous of the "old guy". Sort of like grandpa amongst the foxes! He can still chase but forgets what to do when he catches one!

We have an excellent minor league hockey team here...Sundogs...a buddy of mine owns an online university...has a box...usually invites us to 3-4 games a year...its a good brand of hockey.

Personally though, I prefer minor league baseball...there was a AA team in Huntsville when I was there...for $20 I got parking, ticket to the game, a couple of beers and hot dogs and a relaxing evening. The players were really putting their hearts into it...it was fun. I keep hoping that we can get a minor league team in this locale. We went to a major league game in Phoenix...indoors... sort of like bumper pool...boooorrring! Plus it cost around $100 for the two of us.

Eastside61

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB-You hang in there......Hockey rocks and the GF and wives are very nice......I went to about 37 games last season on my ticket and JC/AAE ticket....once in a while I go with AAE down to the team area to hang out but usually I head for home after the game.......My son in law plays league hockey at a local place in SJ that has 4 rinks, restaurant and zambonis.....life is good here in CA!

Goblue

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: WE AGREE!! Hockey rocks!! I played until I was about 40...then it was just taking too long for what seemed like minor injuries to heal so I hung up the pads...still have my skates and last stick...skate once in a while just to stay with in...two of my grandkids are playing now in Kalamazoo...boy 9 and girl 7...hoping to be able to skate on a line with one of them some day...maybe at Christmas when we go to visit.

Your ticket sounds cool...envy you...that would be fun...amongst all of the young foxes...all of whom are your daughter's age!

Eastside61

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I hope you are in K skating at Christmas time.....and I will be back at the "Tank" on Sat night when the Anaheim dicks....oh! sorry Ducks come to town......

Goblue

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sports page headline this morning...Sharks beat Coyotes...and here I seriously thought that you were talking about a minor league team. I just don't keep up much with these expansion teams. Gimme the Red Wings, Black Hawks, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Rangers,...who'se are dem Sharks, Ducks, Coyotes...dats not hockey der eh!

Eastside61

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Clear your head....take a deep breath.....and Sharks are FAST, Big and can score.....Biggest and Fastest in the NHL.......Crushed the Desert Dogs last night....sorry I had to teach and missed the game....but AAE was there......and JC did get an assist.....

Goblue

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The size of these guys is scary...I played at about 6 ft. 165-170...pretty average size at that time...the pros might have been a little heavier but not a whole lot...today...holy shit...I'd be giving away 30-40 lbs. to the average college player...they're monsters...plus we didn't do any upper body weight work...it was all just legs...running and skating...it has changed big time!

Eastside61

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Like the wings of the 50's 60's.....who only worked out only at Lindel AC on Michigan Ave.....these guys are working around the clock.....JC (boyfriend) does not skate from mid June to July 31st but is in constant training for the whole year....and if someone wanted to pay me 15 mill....I would train tooooooooo

Goblue

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You're right...for $15M a year you'd have been pumping iron instead of SH!

Eastside61

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - In 1967 I had season tickets to the wings with Chuck Andersen....and we sat in the balcony......in the visitor end....and each seat was $168 ......times they be a changin'

Goblue

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Gotta pay those $15M salaries somehow!

Eastside61

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Lets hope for a win against the hated Dallas Stars.....lets hope for a JC hat trick.....If it happens I will buy the first three rounds in July.....

Goblue

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Okay...this time will pull for the Sharks against...but...when the Red Wings come to town in a whole new game.

Got it in writing...when JC gets the hat trick you buy...don't forget to take an octopus to the game!

Eastside61

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The hated wings will be back in January....but I have to miss the game due to a wedding....not cool!

Goblue

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: "Hated Wings"...in some locales they hang traitors! Have you considered changing your name to Benedict?

Eastside61

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Sharks tried to win by only playing 56 minutes ...but came back in overtime to WIN in Dallas Town......

Goblue

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL DETROITERS...URGENT! Eastside61 has gone native! This is what happens when parents allow their kids to choose their own schools...this is the kind of education that can be expected from East Lansing...this is a product of the "do your own thing" '60's! Dissing the beloved Red Wings...cheering for some local operation called the Sharks...lack of regard for traditions and history and, and, and. His father was a fine man...a true Amazin' Blue leader...but...he made a serious mistake allowing Eastside61 to attend MSU...AND THEN allowing him to move to California of all places. Here in Arizona we have a way of dealing with such traitorous behavior...same as with horse thieves...if someone will get a rope I'll bring the horse!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and ES61,
Since the Heilmann thread has gone from eastside nostalgia to UM/MSU rivalry to pro hockey, I thought I would jump in for some friendly rhetoric. Back in the day (Heilmann area during the 60s and 70s) it seemed the UM vs MSU school alliances were split 50:50. Since I've lived downriver (hometown of Lloyd Carr) I noticed you can cut the air with a knife and it would bleed Maize and Blue. My family is a house divided....Sister..UofM MBA, nephew UofM undergrad, Med School and Residency, niece undergrad. My son is a proud MSU business school grad. The rivalry within the family, although not overly overt, is interesting to say the least. My wife and I had dinner in AA yesterday (We were actually thinking about continuing on to E. Lansing and catch a b-ball game)... Anyway, while in AA I thought how great it is to have this heated rivalry between UM vs OSU and UM vs MSU. The banter between GB and ES61 is a prime example.

Question: Do other rivalries have the same panache or intensity as UM/OSU or MSU/UM (since both of you live out of state, are there any provincial examples).

Questions: Will the Wings gain 120 points in the season and never beat Chicago and loose by the 2nd round in the playoffs?

OSU is favored by 4.5. I'll go with the contrawise viewpoint... U of M in a squeaker over OSU! Lloyd Carr probably did the right thing (Does that make sense?) to pull Henne early and keep Hart out ot the game against Wisconsin.

I'll get back to Heilmann and the eastside soon.

Goblue

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Good to have you back. I think ES is in hiding right now...the word was that he was out swimming in the Bay when the oil was dumped...he probably looks like a bedraggled seal right now.

You're right...every family has at least one. My favorite nephew who is akin to a younger brother is an MSU grad...my daughter-in-law is on faculty at OSU although she and my son who is on faculty at Denison are not aligned with the Buckeyes...he did his grad work at UCLA and Johns Hopkins but doesn't seem particularly attached...she did her's at Johns and Princeton...great academics but not noted for athletics...they're both scientists who seem to be sorta above it all...oh well! My son-in-law is a Bronco grad but for some unknown reason is passionate about OSU. He gets so edgy that I can't even tease him. Good guy but geez!

The rivalry is fun...its unfortunate that some confuse bantering and light hearted insults to be real life.

I envy you being able to have dinner in A2...I miss the place although I haven't lived there for 20 years. I do have close friends there and expect that I'll be in town over Christmas.

You know...I don't know about other rivalries...there is certainly M-Notre Dame and MSU-ND...I think that locally Arizona State gets excited about USC but its not in the same league...and I do know for a fact that life stops in the state of Alabama during the Auburn-Alabama game. I remember living in Birmingham in the early '70's and being downtown on a Saturday afternoon during that game when all of the traffic stopped and everyone was blowing their car horn...couldn't figure out what was happening until someone told me that Alabama had just scored. During an interview for a very important job in Huntsville one time I was asked whether I supported the War Eagle or the Tide...I was dancing on my feet around that one!

Dunno know about the Wings...we don't get very good sports information out here...at least not about out of state teams. Seems like they haven't been able to push it over the top for the past few years.

I like M in a squeaker! That's my gut hunch too...it wouldn't be the first time that M has pulled it out...especially in The Big House.

Yeah...we need to come back to Heilmann and the eastside...seems like ES has avoided the topic since we got onto how SH dumped him. Not sure what else he expected from a good Amazin' Blue woman...I mean what did he think was gonna happen when he went Green? Clearly she had bigger and better offers.

Eastside61

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - As an EASTWOOD alumni it is always good to have your insight.

West Coast rivalries are hyped but never come close to those that MSU and uOFm have each fall......

I must say that the only other place that really rocks is the Univeristy of Nebraska - I have gone to various games since '70 and the stadium is totally a SEA of Red....and talk about party hardy.....and tickets are hard to find...even in an off year like this fall.....

As for Heilmann....I have once again picked up the slack that GB has dropped....when the Heilmann rink was torn down one of the rinks boards was saved. It was saved by a woman named SR and the reason is that there was a carving on the board......the initials GT + SR TLA were carved into the boards......I do hope that GB will assist us in the future so that SR can at least send us a jpeg of the "Heilmann Board"......

In other news the MSU family has extended to GB 70 points for the game so that he does not have to check into the Prescott Memorial Hospital's psych ward.......

Goblue

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - ES: Army-Navy comes to mind as a great rivalry but its really localized to a relatively small population...used to be part of a USMC family...believe me...they were intense for Navy.

South Carolina-Clemson is another...have a good friend from SC who claims their primary cheer is "Ya'll kaint lik dem cocks".she went to high school in Norfolk, VA...claims that their cheer was "We don't smoke...we don't drink...Norfuck!"

ES is back out of the oil bath! Good to have him...notice how he attempts to steer the conversation away from SH...and how she left him.

Eastside61

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - I do know that GB has not driven a car in 6 years do to steering problems - You and I will once again have to screen all materials he might submit for publication.......

Goblue

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR...we're making the basic assumption that ES can write something other than his name...word is that he attempted to forge a check using his own name...gotta worry about the Mapleridge Mob...small wonder that SH left for Blue pastures.

Eastside61

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "Blue Sky....nothin' but Blue sky from now on......" KR don't be fooled by the Fordham Group.....very misguided - Remember that GB lived WEST of us...that is a sign from god!