Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Boo Hoo Roy Williams « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drew Sharp wrote today that Roy Williams may be sulking over the fact that the new kid in town is taking over. He made faces at Martz during the game too. Let me tell you C. Johnson is much better than Roy Boy. He's bigger, taller and faster too. Roy will make great trade bait. It appears he is very egotistical and the Lyin's shouldn't cater to him. He may be like some actors or musicians who can't stand to share top billing. He didn't even stay to talk to the press for the first time. Was he late for dinner? or pouting like a baby. He's good, but as time goes by, he will no longer be the go to guy. Sharp said he was the invisible man yesterday. The Lyin's could get a top running back for him or even a better quarterback than they have now.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 889
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would nice if C Johnson could hold on to the ball. The guy still has a lot to learn, but I think he could be an all pro in a couple of years.
Roy Williams is a strange dude, but still better at this point in their careers.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's strange alright. Anyone that doesn't leave tips for anyone, waitresses, pizza delivery etc. thinks his crap don't stink. His excuse for not tipping is, "they are already getting paid for it and that's they're job". Is strange for sure.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6515
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider the source to the article... it's Drew Sharp. He's always been more smoke than substance. He screams smoke, doom, gloom and speculates more than any other sports writer in town.

Roy Williams, Mike Furrey and the rest of the receiving group have already acknowledged that their catches are going to decline after lobbying for the likes of a Calvin Johnson.

The article HINTED at the fact that Roy MIGHT be miffed at Martz, but no definite proof. And where & when did he make faces at Martz (in anger or defiance?) during the game?

Again... all speculation by Drew Sharp in an attempt to stir things up.

The non-tipping pizza stroy is ancient and he's already made up for it by having some fun with it. He actually delivered pizza for Pizza Hut and eating the costs of the pizzas he delivered. He honestly didn't seem to know prior to and actually has enough sense to laugh at himself for it.

Roy's quirky yes. Disgruntled a little bit- maybe, but givent he choices out there of other egotistical WRs such as TO, Chad Johnson, etc.. I'd keep Roy over them. He's at least got some swagger from time to time and isn't truly that obnoxious at times; naive maybe. Trade bait for top caliber talent in this day & age of the NFL- very unlikely. Other teams know you have an over abundance; getting equal value won't happen here.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog, I read about the snarled looks at Martz in the article. I'm assuming he meant during the game.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6516
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He motioned to Mike Martz on the sideline after he caught his first pass of the game late in the second quarter, perhaps suggesting he get more action coming in his direction and soon."

Motioning and snarling are two entirely different things here. And who's to say (obviously Drew is making the stretch here) that Roy was directing his motions to Martz or the rest of the offensive unit on the sidelines? Again... LOTS of specualtion.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 890
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He caught a pass late in the 1st half, and looked at Martz gesturing, "give me the ball more." At that point in the Game Johnson was getting all the passes and either dropping them or running poor routes. They were obviously throwing to Johnson and using Roy Williams as a decoy. It would have worked if Johnson would have caught the ball.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6518
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's only one ball to be scattered about all the wide receivers. ALL of them should want it but in reality, they all know the situation. Only one of them will handle it on each play and sometimes the entire game, one's limited to so many touches. There's also the other team's coverages & schemes to take into consideration as well.

(Message edited by smogboy on November 23, 2007)

20043_stotter

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard Sharp on the Pat Caputo show and he talked some more about williams pouting and how he always talks to the press but leaving early yesterday. He said Roy is a free agent next year and as Johnson progresses, he will be the best and the Lyin's can't afford 2 high paid receivers. One of them will have to go and it looks like Williams, especially if he's concerned about himself and not the team. One of the radio guys said it's obvious to them what kind of person they are and only interested in personal stats.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6521
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously Drew Sharp has to repeat and support his accusations. He wrote them in the Freep and it's not likely he was going to back down off of them.

To counter the argument that Roy Williams was so infatuated with his own personal stats, why did he lobby the management to go get Calvin Johnson then? Did he do that to lower his own negotiating power or playing time? It wouldn't have made any sense for him to do so.

Yeah, Roy's a quirky dude with some swagger and has some of the talent to back it up too. I'm sure if the Lions can improve some more, show progress, and be able to sign him- I think Roy Williams will be back. Why wouldn't the team want a duo of talented receivers as opposed to one?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog, Don't shoot the messenger.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6524
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stotter- Don't jump in the way of the bullet.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't put to much into it__to be sure, with the high level of competitive nature within the coterie of the professional athlete, this type of behavior goes on 24/7. Roy is a great competitor, so I'm sure that is all it is.....

...and like Roy Williams, I too, believe he should be the #1 option on offense. As much as I like the CJ, I would trust Roy Williams for my first 'big play' option.

blksoul_atcha!

20043_stotter

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a chance that we may have seen Roy Williams for the last time in a Lyin' uniform. Would you want to stay on this team? Not if you have pride and talent, I think. This is only speculation of course, but is a possiblity. Others may be gone too. Does it make sense to stand pat with this team as it is? Coach included?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob Parker said tonite that Roy Williams is not happy with the lyin's and would like to play for the Cowboys. Well, we'll see.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that a lot of folks like Williams, and I respect that, and lord knows I could never be mad at any Lion player for being despondent about his lot, but Roy Williams talks too fucking much for a guy who hasn't really shown anything all that remarkable.
We can keep losing with players who know how to keep their pie-holes shut.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6666
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Rob Parker the guy who was exposed a few weeks ago at the Lions' press coverage for supposedly saying that old man Ford made the call down to Marinelli to play Calvin Johnson? Marinelli outright called it a LIE in front of all of his peers- so no offense but Rob Parker's Lion credibility with me is suspect at best.

Until something happens, all of this is hearsay & speculation at best.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog, Do you think that Marinelli would admit to the press that Ford is telling him how to run the team? Not if he has any pride and brains. I believe that Ford did tell him to use C.J., but he's smart enough to deny it. It doesn't matter cuz I think Marinelli's gone. He appears to be way over his head and doesn't have control over his team.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could only wish that Ford had a Steinbrenner impulse in his body.

Every time I hear Parker talk about his "moles" I smell molasses.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What has Roy Williams actually done that earns him so much praise ? He's made some difficult and acrobatic catches....but he's dropped some easy ones too. He also doesn't have a clue how to protect the football. He doesn't run the best patterns. He simply has not yet demonstrated that he is an elite receiver in the NFL.

Ravine

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, Bongman, and the funny part is that the Cowboys already have a Roy Williams, that Roy being the guy who causes them problems by being seemingly unable to stop himself from "horse-collaring" opposing QB's.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman stated....

quote:

...What has Roy Williams actually done that earns him so much praise ? He's made some difficult and acrobatic catches....but he's dropped some easy ones too. He also doesn't have a clue how to protect the football. He doesn't run the best patterns. He simply has not yet demonstrated that he is an elite receiver in the NFL.

Bongman, you just described Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and every other top receiver in the league!__go figure!

Roy Williams has definitely been missed in the Lions offense....he makes the other receivers better, because of what is demanded in terms of defensive coverage...ie; double coverage, blitz packages and the like.

blksoul_atcha!

Ravine

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, wouldn't it be better if he was missed because of what HE can do, not because his presence makes other players better?
Aahhhrr... I'm sorry. I guess I'm just giving in to being (once again) nauseated by, and sick of hearing about, the Lions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.