Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » LES MILES « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO Now that LSU lost and is out of the Natl picture will Michigan be able to Talk to him about the Head coaching Job?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6541
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's let these coaches coach their respective bowl games first!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any Black coaches to be considered...just wondering?

blksoul_atcha!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess that they will look at all candidates that have the qualifications they are seeking, without race being a factor. Would you have any recommendations you can name? I haven't heard any names mentioned except Miles.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This politically correct world is absolute bullshit. Michigan would never hire an African American coach. The last black QB was 20 years ago!! I don't think they've grown to the point where this would be acceptable with the alums.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They interviewed Ron English on Monday, Ron is the current defensive coordinator and is black.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4061
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well isn't it funny that the biggest diversity hawk of all time-- university president Mary Sue Coleman-- is getting herself involved in this and recommending Kurt Ferentz of Iowa, just because of old time's sake (she used to be President there)?

That would be a bad choice, and certainly hypocritical of Coleman to jump to a conclusion without considering minorities. Some reports have gone so far to say that Michigan has offered the job to Ferentz (www.mgoblog.com). Coleman and cronyism are clearly playing a large role in this.

Plenty of names other than Miles have been mentioned: Brian Kelly, Glen Mason, and Ferentz. All are sub-par choices.

Mr_onion

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh for god sakes,, come on you nitwit Michigan Regents,, think of the reputation of the school , think of the winning Tradition, DO NOT hire a MEDIOCRE Coach like Ferentz or Kelly, or Mason, or English,, the country is Laughing at U OF M, Wake up you IDIOTS.

Tkangas_23
Username: Tkangas_23

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian Kelley is not a sub-par choice. He won multiple national championships at GVSU, turned CMU into a top program in the MAC (up from bottom-feeders a few short years before), and is currently making Cincy a top 25 program in the Big East. He has won on every level.

Jim Tressel was considered a bad hire at OSU because he didn't have a well known name. Look how that turned out.

Thebadguy
Username: Thebadguy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got to say the comments made in this thread about Ferentz being "mediocre" could not be any further off-base. On the contrary, Ferentz is one of the finest coaches in America. Did you realize that he has been mentioned in connection with virtually every pro job that has come open for the last five seasons? That's how high of esteem he's held by people "in the know."

Being an alum of the school he coaches right now - the University of Iowa - I can tell you without a doubt that he has done more with 'B' players than any coach possibly could. Given the resources that Michigan can offer, I have little doubt that Ferentz would return your favorite school to its "glory" (whatever that means) in short order.

Iowa is never going to be able to pull the 'A' athlete ... and Ferentz has shown an amazing ability to pluck the 'B' kids and groom them into top-notch D1 players and, in some cases, stars. Does the name Bob Sanders ring a bell? He was a WALK-ON at Iowa - and is now considered one of the top strong safeties in the NFL.

Dallas Clark? Another Iowa walk-on - now a key member of the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning's security blanket now that Marvin Harrison is down. In addition, Ferentz has probably ten offensive linemen now playing pro football, as well.

Best of all ... Ferentz is not only a disciple of Hayden Fry (whose arrival in the Big 10 in 1979 changed the league for the better, finally moving it away from that mind-numbing three-yards-and-a-cloud of Astroturf philosophy of dinosaurs like Schembechler and Woody Hayes) but also spent six years as Bill Belichick's offensive line and assistant head coach in Cleveland.

Ferentz has many of the same qualities of Belichick, in terms of on-the-field preparation, but his personality is one that is the anti-Bill. He is a very gracious individual who has brought nothing but esteem to the U of I.

All that being said, I don't think Ferentz leaves Iowa. At least I *hope* he doesn't, because he's that damn good. He will, eventually, but most likely for an NFL job - a place he's held in even higher esteem.

The bottom line is ... Michigan would have the coaching steal of the off-season if it was somehow able to lure Ferentz away to Iowa. Just because very few folks up your way know much about him ... it certainly doesn't mean he's "mediocre." Faaaaaar from it.

Mr_onion

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool ESPN reports that Michigan has permission to talk with Les Miles about the coaching job, but please wait till after this weekend. Wrap it up guys,, Recruits are waiting, OSU look out,, Les is MORE.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferentz is dead, thank goodness.

Expect an announcement next week.

Thebadguy
Username: Thebadguy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw ... just remember ... just because *you* don't think much of Ferentz as a coach doesn't mean everyone else holds the same opinion. In fact, I'd venture a guess that the majority of decision-makers in both professional and college football would disagree with you wholeheartedly. But, hey ... sometimes tilting at windmills can be enjoyable.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sold on Miles. He seems to do less with more talent than any other coach around. LSU has unbelievably talented and athletic kids, but haven't quite been able to get it done. As for Brian Kelly, Michigan probably wouldn't go for him because his offense would be too much of a break from the typical conservative offense that they run. He seems to be as good as anyone at coaching the spread, but I can't see it at Michigan. Whoever they go with, I just hope its the best available and not just the best available "Michigan Man".

Go Blue!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4082
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thebadguy, I understand. The way some of my posts sound it might sound like I don't think Ferentz is a good coach. He is, and if he was chosen I wouldn't be one of those people who claims they'll never go to a Michigan football game again (like who would do that?). But when their are people like Les Miles out there, who played in the 10 year war and has an even BETTER record of building teams for winning (whereas we've seen some lackluster teams out of Iowa lately), don't expect me to be too impressed by Ferentz. There is the added element of disdain for my university president: I don't want a dainty old administrator who can't even run the university well telling the AD to pick someone because she knows him.

Look at my post as a caricature of the collective thoughts of the UM campus right now. It's fairly monolithic in favoring Miles. Conventional wisdom does not make something the right choice (in fact it rarely does), but in this case it will be correct.

There is one decision maker in college football who matters right now, and that's Bill Martin. I don't think he'll be taking Ferentz.

Mr_onion

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let LSU have Ferrentz , his mediocre Record speaks for itself. Now john Wangler Les's Best friend is saying Les Wants the job,, GO BLUE ,, Les Is Best.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one will not get to excited about Les Miles success at LSU and becoming the next Michigan Coach...considering the fact that most of coach Miles success at LSU is predicated on Nick Saban's recruiting brilliance....

...Then too, Miles had better take this job while he is hot...because next season he will be competing with the SEC to get players in that area for the next 4 years...Saban worked is magic, but I seriously doubt that Les Miles has the same kind of magic in recruiting in the Southeast area.

Michigan should see Marvin Lewis(Cincinnati Bengals) a Tony Dungy student...a great 'New-School' coach, and some 'African Blood' at the helm, and would do great recruiting outside of rural Michigan, and suburbian Texas!

blksoul_atcha!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't question Lewis' record as a LB coach and defensive coordinator, but deep into his 5th season as a head coach, he is all of 3 games over .500; and in terms of recruiting, he hasn't sat in a high school kid's living room in 15 years.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saben is a carpetbagger. He left MSU because he could not recruit against UM in this area.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6577
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone at LSU or the Miami Dolphins care to voice their opinions of Nick Saban?

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not from LSU or Miami, but I can see the way that Saban has moved around. He was moving upward until taking the job at Alabama. MSU was a better job than Toledo. LSU was a better job than MSU. After winning a National Championship at LSU, he wanted to move up to the pro game. It appears that he didn't like the pro game, and wanted to go back to the college game and go to a school with a great tradition. I think he will be at Alabama for the long term.

As for Miles, I was more impressed with him when he was at Oklahoma State. He put together some really solid teams with a lot less talent than he's got at LSU. He is a good coach.

Blksoul_x, Michigan doesn't only recruit rural Michigan and Texas. Actually, they get a lot of players from Ohio (Woodson, many others), Pennsylvania (Henne, Breaston), New York (Hart), California (Brady, Donovan Warren, Cato June), Florida (Anthony Carter), Illinois (Tai Streets), North Carolina (Jamie Morris, Chris Perry), Louisiana (A-Train), and more. Michigan recruiting is as far-reaching as any program, so I think they are doing just fine "outside of rural Michigan, and suburban Texas".

Smogboy

Post Number: 6580
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers2005, I don't think anyone can blame Saban for wanting to move upward & onward but at nearly every place he's been, he's told his constituency that he's there to stay only to find out weeks later, his promose was hollow.

I don't have an axe to grind with Saban but if I were a fan or alumni of any of his previous schools, I'd probably be a little miffed at the way he's left. He's always seemed to play up his current situation to bargain up without any sense of loyalty- a trait that a lot of colleges desire.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6582
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the News this morning, Miles is NOT going to be the new coach...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071201/U PDATE/712010413

We shall see! So many conflicting rumors... sheesh.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog, I think you are correct. I opened up the link from Scs100, and it has been upgraded to reflect your post.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Tigers2005' stated....

quote:

Blksoul_x, Michigan doesn't only recruit rural Michigan and Texas. Actually, they get a lot of players from Ohio (Woodson, many others), Pennsylvania (Henne, Breaston), New York (Hart), California (Brady, Donovan Warren, Cato June), Florida (Anthony Carter), Illinois (Tai Streets), North Carolina (Jamie Morris, Chris Perry), Louisiana (A-Train), and more. Michigan recruiting is as far-reaching as any program, so I think they are doing just fine "outside of rural Michigan, and suburban Texas".

'Tigers2005', thank you for pointing that out! I would have never thunk it...if you had not pointed that out!__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Les Miles says, 'I don't think so' to Michigan!...More profoundly, this points out how much Michigan's football program has fallen from the ranks of the elites!

It appears Tressel's Buckeyes will dominate the Big Ten for years to come...while Michigan and others pick up the pieces left behind by 'Thee' , Ohio State University.

blksoul_atcha!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I thought that Miles coming here would've been a good idea, if one were to look at the totality of the situation, Miles would have (or would be) been insane to come here.
Who really wants to live in the damn cold 6 months a year?
He can stay in his own region of the country and recruit championship teams.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, so much for honorably waiting until the man had finished coaching his regular season games.

Mr_onion

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah mediocrity, that is Michigan. sigh

Smogboy

Post Number: 6583
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was even thinking about the shadow that Lloyd & Bo cast upon the entire scenario as well. Why would Miles leave LSU? Technically he's following a guy like Saban (although he won it big) who left under less than honorable circumstances. LSU is paying him big; he doesn't really have too much competition in recruiting and is BMOC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.