Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through November 21, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Where are you now that we need you?! ES correctly points out that I lived on the west side of Hayes...the land of the setting sun and glorious sunsets.

ES howsomever leaves out that his current locale is about as far west as one can go in the lower 48...and about as far left as...well...anyone with any pride would want to go! I feel so bad for his dad (a true decorated Amazin' Blue)...his sainted Detroiter mother (can you imagine her pain at having three sons choose to attend MSU...I wonder what Freud would have to say about that)...and his older brother who, in truth, was a very upstanding TAR leader.

(Message edited by GoBlue on November 16, 2007)

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Perhaps ES can visit Dr. Phil out west. Hopefully ES's examples of misaligned allegiances can be examined and "worked out" for the betterment of the viewership. Oh yea. How can anyone forget those gorgeous sunsets on Eastwood looking west toward Hayes with that beautiful carwash on the southeast corner.....Who needs to go to Lake Michigan or the Pacific Ocean for sunsets? Where in Ariz. are you located?

ES: As mentioned previously, we are a green/white family right here in Riverview. One of my son's favorite recollection was being near the endzone where TJ caught the winning TD with no time left to beat UM. On the other hand my wife and I saw the triple over time loss to UofM in AA and the last time UM beat OSU (03). (No we don't have season tickets..just lucky seeing classical games)
The MSU/Penn State game should be interesting. Do you smell another upset in the state of Michigan. Spartans in a squeaker over Penn State

ES, Where exactly in Cal. do you live? My brother in law is in San Jose. We've been to the San Fran/San Jose area a few times and always want to get back.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - don't be fooled by the split tongue of GB...as for CA I live in the town of Los Altos Hills which is behind Palo Alto North of SJose. I moved out here in '69.....I was lost when GB moved from the neighborhood - and taught at Southeastern between '65 and '69 and then headed west to the bay area......I am so glad that you continue to wear the classic green and white colors.....Where in the SJ area is the bro. In law???????

GB - are you in front of the TV yet????? The Gift arrived.....it is soooooo Mellow........you will be proud of your MSU ancestry in accepting this fabulous find! Your uofm friends will be jealous

Goblue

Post Number: 594
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I would exercise great caution venturing to the edges of CA...one of these days its gonna break off and float away...at which time land prices here in AZ will skyrocket as the traitorous midwesterners attempt to clamber their way back home. I'm located half way between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon...about 2 hours either direction...the elevation here is a little over 5000 ft. which means that we're always 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix...surrounded by mountains...its considered high desert...town of Prescott.

ES leaves out that he headed west sobbing because SH dumped him...he actually intended to throw himself into Lake Michigan off of the South Haven pier but couldn't see because of the tears...got on the wrong Greyhound and ended up in San Fran in the late '60's becoming another love child wandering about in a haze of maryjane...the word I hear is that he still wears his tie-dye t-shirts while flashing the peace sign.

Let's hope that he can hook up with Dr. Phil...Lord knows they both need help!

ES: GO BLUE!! THE University of Michigan...in a squeaker over the Buckeyes! Maybe...just maybe KR is correct...MSU over Penn State...just maybe!

Eastside61

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - As an educated Eastwood Alumni.....you months ago saw through the GB - shoveling of maze with a blue handled shovel....
Remember he was the guy who bought the nehru jacket from me at Van Horns.....he was the stylin guy who when totally polyester for years and wore wingtips with black socks - even when vacationing...at the 5000 foot level remember there is a lack of Oxygen that has affected his thought patterns....he even thought that he dated SR......not true ask him to explain HT in the cheeerleading outfit.....that should be chapter 24 in the book

Goblue

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Unfortunately ES remembers the eastside through that maryjane haze...he claims to have peddled clothes from Van Horns...in truth his sales efforts were pretty much confined to wheel covers that he purloined all over the eastside.

He also seems fixated on HT....you know how these San Fran guys are! All I know is that SR was drop dead gorgeous with incredible legs in that cheerleader outfit.

Eastside61

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - GB was identified while attending Columbus as having a specific learning disability....but further analysis by a great west coast educational psychologist has discovered that to be wrong....actually GB was in special education for Visual Impairment...and he continues to get mixed up regarding Howie T and Sandy R......he actually thought that HT was drop dead gorgeous.....His IEP come due in July in TC

Goblue

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - ES: And....trust me...SR's gorgeous appearance didn't stop with her legs!

Eastside61

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - its OK now Calm Down....and sea of red has just rolled through Prescott......but better days are ahead...for you, SR (HT) and all greenies.......my goats were shocked by your thoughts of how they should be treated......They still have your picture hanging in their stall.....they want to know if you think the same about thier legs too

Goblue

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The way I hear it is that in San Jose the men are men (and some of the women are too) and the goats are nervous!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: What a blast from the past during the Heilmann days! Van Horn's Men's Clothing at Eastland! Which store did you work at? What year(s)?
Coincidentally my bro-in-law from San Jose just happened to be in town this weekend. He lives in the Willow Glen area and has a law office in the old part of SJ right by St. James Park. Sound familiar?

GB: Will Lloyd Carr make his retirement announcement tomorrow? Some of the media around here are merciless. I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling "Keep Lloyd Carr" T shirts along with "Appalachia State" shirts in Columbus

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to swim at Heilmann (at least a mile every night)...must have paid off because my daughter during high school was the captain of the swim team and won a Gold medal against other schools.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda,
What years did you swim at Heilmann? Do you remember any of the life guards or recreation personnel during that time?

Eastside61

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - know Willow Glen area very well.....The Van Horn days were during the mid 60's at Eastland.....interesting place.....Does the B in L go to Shark games......if he does we will have to meet ....is he an EASTSIDER. too??????

Kellyroad

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: B in L is an Allen Parker. I know he's been to a few games at the Shark Tank (Is it still called the Shark Tank?).

Goblue

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Its good that your Bro-in-law is an attorney...ES needs one!

The betting money is that Carr will retire...I read the other day that he had negotiated special two year contracts for all of his assistants...apparently to protect them when he leaves...its probably time...he's been there 28 years...I'm not of the merciless group...an 8-4 season is a good season...anywhere except Michigan...but, four straight losses to OSU is pretty unforgivable.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and all far eastsiders with an affiliation to UM football: click on attached article from the FreePress. ES,you too can enjoy this article.

formerhttp://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071119/COL 01/711190316/1048/SPORTS&imw=Y

Goblue

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I am grateful to you for forwarding that Mitch Albom article...it defines what The University of Michigan is about...it defines what makes The University of Michigan different...it defines why those of us who share those values will demand...through the alumni association...that they be preserved. Thanks again...I truly do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you guys get a chat room please? talk about off-topic...

Goblue

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GS: So don't read....or make a meaningful contribution.

Eastside61

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gs - What???? did you grow up on the westside????....This thread is totally full of accurate insight and history of the Denby area....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GS,
Yes, the UofM/Lloyd Carr piece is way off the topic of this thread HEILMANNN. However, it is nice to share barbs and news items with fellow former far eastsiders and main contributors to this thread. Hopefully, we'll segue back to the Heilmann neighborhood stories and everyone with an interest in that area can contribute.

GB: glad you liked the article. May the spirits of BO and Uffer be with you.

ES: Back in your Denby/HEILMANN days MSU was the dominating force in the Big 10. Did that feeling return after Saturday's Penn State game?

Goblue

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Thanks for the comments...we miss Bo...and Bob Uffer...what a voice! You're right...in the ancient days MSU was a driving force in the Big 10...back when whatszizname was the coach...and TAR Ed Budde joined them...are you saying that MSU beat Penn State on Saturday? After the debacle in the Big House we all went into mourning...and some Irish Harpst...for a few days and missed that. Well...I guess there's hope...actually it is good to see a more balanced conference.

Eastside61

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - let's get back to the Heilmann talk.....KR and I are totally right that you have tried to pirate this dynamic thread about the neighborhood and turn it into a uOFm forum for your own narrow purposes......you should be ashamed of yourself.....(cough)

Goblue

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Oh the shame is overwhelming...mia culpa, mia culpa! Narrow? What's this "narrow" U-M forum? It seemed to be quite broad to me. Speaking of SH...have you heard from her yet? Also wondering if you knew Martha Steinke...or her buddy Mary Ann McFadden...MS lived on Linnhurst (?) on your side of Hayes...MAMc lived on the sunset side...they were in my class but knowing of your penchant for older women I just thought I'd ask.

Eastside61

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Glad that you have dropped the uOFm meaningless drivel...Martha's last name is familiar....wasn't the Steinke name also linked to a teacher either at Columbus or Denby????? Older is good.....and SH and I have been talking to each others for 13 months now.....(cough)

Goblue

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hope we've all heard the last of your shameless promotion of your alma mater! There may have been a teacher with that name...very vague recollection. MS would have been a friend of the older sis of the babe who dumped you. In your dreams SH is talking to you...the point for her would be....WHY?

Eastside61

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Good to see that you are back with your mean streak....Steinke was a PE teacher at TARSVILLE.....and about 10 months ago I asked SH if she remembered you and she said......G who????? I didn't want to spoil your weekend or image and knowing how fragile your are these days.....She also said that her sister couldn't remember you either.....are you sure you lived on Fordham?

Goblue

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...as I said so many months ago...the thing with SH was brief...a one time outing...and comparing me to her first...well I'm certain that recollection has blurred all others...congratulations. Re: older sis...well...we've agreed that her cheeks could grind marbles to dust! No question about the Fordham connection...just ask Diane C.!

By the way...just had a message returned from Peggy G....why was she giggling when I mentioned your name?

Eastside61

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Where is PG hiding out these days......?????