Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » You want to be the U of M football coach? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 972
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently Les Miles doesn't. There's a report that Miles has agreed to an extention at LSU. Not signed yet, though.

So whose the second choice?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was posted a couple hours ago in the sports thread

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/120434.html?1196529363

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 713
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hell of a way to make a living...watching a bunch of 19-21 yr. olds running up and down the field with your paycheck in their hands.

Its not a surprise that Miles isn't the choice...there was a story in the NY Times a week or so ago about the deal. IF he had won the national championship his salary would have jumped from $1.5M to $3.5M...with that scenario the deal would have cost U-M something like $7M by the time they got through buying out assistant's contracts, paying him, paying off LSU for his escape clause, etc., etc., etc....it looked too pricey even for Michigan.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferentz at Iowa is the obvious 2nd choice. Truthfully, he's a better choice that Miles. Ron English was given the obligatory interview, but I think even he would as equal a choice as Miles.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, he's winning with Saban's recruits!

Thejesus

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its not a surprise that Miles isn't the choice"

hmmmm...I think you might be a bit in denial there buddy...Michigan didn't turn Miles down, he turned them down.

This is a total slap in the face to the University and quite an embarrassment for the football program that they couldn't get this guy.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 566
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ I hear you^^^ What a disappointment.

<313>

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad Miles is staying put with how much he would have cost in buyout and salary. The dollar figures I've seen bandied about are absurd. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing UM deemphasize football and basketball or eliminate them altogether. It's an institution of higher learning and the football coach is going to make 10X what a physics professor makes?

The University of Chicago dropped out of the Big Ten and the Ivies stepped down from the big time and those schools maintained their prestige. It won't happen in Ann Arbor, but I wish it would.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can someone turn down a job that has not been offered? UM is saying nothing about this.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was wondering citylover.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, what the deal with this supposed "best friend" of Les Miles whose been talking to all the local newspapers when Miles very clearly wanted to be private about all of this?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd: How about 20-25X a top physics professor! You're right...its beyond absurd!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The dollar figures I've seen bandied about are absurd. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing UM deemphasize football and basketball or eliminate them altogether. It's an institution of higher learning and the football coach is going to make 10X what a physics professor makes?

That's because the U-M sports program is a cash cow. Tenured professors that bring the University lucrative patents get paid well too.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd heard that Ferentz already turned down the job.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 973
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A newspaper ran a story about the University Of Washington football program a number of years ago that noted that the program was self supporting, as well as supporting most of the rest of the athletic department, and increases the visability of the university to both the public (and more importantly) the alumni.

Wasn't it John Hanna who once said something like "If it takes a winning football program to bring this university (Michigan State College Of Agriculture And Applied Science) respect, by God we're going to have a winning football program."?
Worked for them....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first choice to replace Lloyd?
Brian Kelly , now head coach at Cincinnati. ( 9-3 this year and headed to a Bowl game). Several fabulous years at Grand Valley State, then on to Central, and now he has turned the program around at Cincinnati. This is an "up and comer".
But I guess I'm the only guy in the room who wants him.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, see Rosenberg's column:
quote:

And if I may kill a popular rumor (or request): Two people familiar with the process say Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly is not a candidate. He will not be a candidate. I don't have a specific reason, but Kelly has rubbed people the wrong way at various points in his climb up the ladder.

Kelly is a certified asshole and egomaniac (or so says those in the know...Rosenberg's not the first to say this...ask people at CMU). I'm sure he is not welcome at Michigan.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awhile back Kelly made some questionable statements. I'm not remembering the incident too clearly but it involved some (black) players being arrested and he tried to pass it off by suggesting that "their type" come from "bad upbringings"...he also has an excessive temper. He is surely being shunned in the stodgy and PC UM environment.

The_rock

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for my choice. I will call John L. Smith and see if he is interested.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5674
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know one thing, The Rock is on the inside. He's been on the inside at UM since he personally hired Fielding Yost, back in the day.
The Rock was a hod carrier for Albert Kahn on his UM jobs.

jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not quite Fielding Yost, but I got to meet Bennie once, Bump twice, and Bo signed my ( cherised) 1960 Michigan-Ohio State football program.

And we did retain Albert Kahn Architects once as trial experts on a staircase accident over at the old Stouffer's restaurant on Washington Blvd.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5675
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock knew that if he hired Albert Kahn's firm, they'd be so believed The Rock would easily win in a slip and fall incident.

The Rock's UM stories are legendary.

Has The Rock ever posted his UM poem?

jjaba.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4115
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Greg Schiano doesn't want to coach Michigan, either. See today's News. He's looking to win big in Jersey instead.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 902
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Schiano's dream job is Penn State. Paterno wont give it up.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Schiano's odds, though.

The_rock

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba--no poem 'til we win a Bowl game. Mich has been rather medicorie in post-season games. I can't believe that M-Florida will be much better.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: