Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » The Detroit Lions » Archive through November 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok lets hear it from the Leo's pessimist...Denver is not a good team, or they haven't played a good team yet, let's wait and see, yeah all those pessimistic wonderers', bla' bla' bla'.....well, that fact is....

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE WITNESSED THE LEO'S 'PIMP SMACK' A TEAM IN THE MOUTH LIKE THEY DID TODAY!

I'm taking the cornbread out the oven and serving it pipe'n HOT!

blksoul_atcha!

Black-atcha!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bake up a second batch for SHAUN ROGERS rumbling into the end zone. That was priceless!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was at the game munching on some cornbread

FORWARD DOWN THE FIELD!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the pride this Lions team has shown for the city. I heard Roy Williams on a postgame interview say that, the Lions players need the fans to be louder and rowdier before and after the play...and that he is calling for a 'Ford Field white-out'...all fans should wear white T-shirts at the Thanksgiving day game.

This Lions team wants to be part of the City, that is to say, they want their achievements to be felt by each and every one of the people of the city of the D.

So cornbread lovers let's make this happen....all people who are attending the Thanksgiving day game__get your white on and bake up some fresh hot pipe'n cornbread!

blksoul-atcha!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was a good feeling watching someone else with their head hanging low. Brought back all those years i would have to sit there with the other teams fans cheering in my face

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fully expect this team to be 10-2 going into the meeting w/ Dallas.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6321
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only were we treated to a great Lions victory but it was the way we beat the broncos- it wasn't just off of one aspect of our game, it was on ALL aspects of our game. We chewed up the time by hanging onto the ball, we ran it effectively, we passed away from their Pro Bowl corners and we tired the defense out. Defensively we pressured the QB, we had timely stops, and we scored on the defense as well. On special teams Hanson is almost automatic, Harris had pinpoint punts, and we just played a simple routine there- nothing fancy.

I honestly thought the game was over by halftime. The Broncos were done and Detroit's confidence was just growing. I'll even compliment Rod Marinelli for not having Kitna in at the end of the game. Nice touch in not risking him there as well; I think he learned from the games previous. Now I hope his even keeled approach goes over well NOW- because they'll need it. He didn't get too low when we got hammered by Philly & Washington so now I hope he doesn't let the team get too cocky over this victory over the Broncos as well.

Ii think we as fans deserve to savor this game just a little bit as we should. It was complete, smart and sensible in the way we took down a decent team in the Broncos.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6322
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of the big discrepancies that I noticed in the game were:

1) The rushing yards, Detroit had 130 to their 47. TJ Duckett himself had more than the entire Denver squad combined!
2) We averaged nearly 3 more yards per pass play than Denver.
3) Kitna only got sacked once compared to Denver's 5. Nice to see our QB stay clean for once.
4) Denver had the hanky patrol out with their 84 yards in penalties compared to Detroit's 32. Our team being so disciplined would've been a rarity a few years back.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6762
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY LIONS! (6-2) Tied in 1st place. NFC Playoffs here we come.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6326
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh Danny,

Not meaning to skewer your lofty balloon here or anything but the Packers are 7-1. We're NOT tied with them.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4541
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny probably watched the Packer game with a bit over three minutes remaining when the Pack was down by six points... But, they scored 17 unanswered points afterward.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6332
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then obviously Danny forgot to check any of the other various news sources for the scores as well before making that grand statement. Now granted a few weeks from now if the Lions do continue playing well and the Packers falter, we COULD be tied for first place but not with a 6-2 record. We can hope.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go john dikas!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6334
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG... I just about spewed. I totally forgot about John Dikas. Thank goodness he's on our team.

Is Danny in a Fantasy Football League where he's the only member?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next time Shaun Rogers scores a touchdown, I want to see him climb the wall like some of the other Lions do.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6359
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd pity the poor wall if all of Big Baby took it to climbing it. But y'know, it was great to see him chugging down the field like that. That's going to have to be one of the better highlights this year.

There's just something about seeing a big lineman running that sort of distance and making it in too. It wasn't as smooth or as elegant as watching the likes of a speedster like Calvin Johnson or a Roy Williams taking it in, but it sure pumps the place up.

I can only imagine the noise level of Ford Field as Shaun motored down the field. Lord knows we were all screaming at the TV and the noise level we generated.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6428
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cornread got burnt this week. Ouch.

Our Lions obviously played a team much hungrier than them. Credit the Cardinals for coming up with great coverage that didn't exactly give Kitna much to throw to. I thought we started off well where Kitna had some time in the pocket but just couldn't find anyone open downfield.

Both sides couldn't hang onto the ball well. The major difference was that the Cards converted on their opportunities whereas we didn't. Something was also amiss with the special teams coverage today too. We never really had decent field position all day due to Breaston's nice run backs.

It almost seemed as though the Cardinals were playing the kind of football the Lions played the last three weeks- dominating defensive line, strong coverage downfield, disruptive linebackers, opportunistic shots with receivers in the flats and an honest running game. It just didn't seem as though we were mentally sharp for this game based upon all of the fundamental mistakes like 12 men in the huddle, false starts and little ticky tacky things that just sustain drives for the other team.

Back to the drawing board now Mr. Marinelli. Time to regroup the troops and see how they'll be prepared to play the Giants. I'd like to think that the players still believe in their system and will do well next week. Mentally scrub the stink off of this one and move on; next week is another game.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Negative yards rushing
5 turnovers
5 three-and-out series

Chitaku

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

backwards down the field.....again

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect the fun part of the season is over. With the Giants, Packers, and 'Boys coming up in three of the next four weeks, the Lions are gonna get pretty banged up. I'll put money against them on all three games, sorry to say.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the Arcane Mysteries of Sports is the phenomenon wherein an entire team (or enough of it to create the appearance of "entire") can, suddenly and seemingly out of nowhere, play in a completely lifeless manner. (I'm trying to not speechify about the 2006 World Series.)
On the good side, there is the Marinelli approach which, as it discourages prideful dwelling on a victory, discourages self-defeating dwelling on a loss. I suspect that after today's press conference, Marinelli will have no more to say about the Arizona Affair, and will be thoroughly, and zestfully, working on winning the next game.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did anyone know monte clark is a consultant to millen?

Zxzm

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martz out smarted himself today.

Only run the ball 11 times after your first 4 plays are runs that gain you 20 yards???

Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are your go-to guys, NOT Shawn McDonald. Besides, Mike Furrey is more talented and has twice as much heart as Shawn McDonald.

Pfffffft!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not all Martz. Some of that was Kitna not getting rid of the ball fast enough. He needs to start playing the entire game and not just try to play hero in the final two minutes.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4645
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitna had the most passing yards in the entire NFL for two of the ten games this season (including today), and somebody on DY is bitching???

Chitaku

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

garbage yards when you dont score

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4646
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up until eight days ago, the Lions had the fifth strongest NFL team on the computer rankings--following Green Bay, in fourth. There's just no pleasing some fair-weather fans. With fans like that, who needs enemies?

Myself, I wanted the Lions to slip a bit behind my Packers, but not as far back as three games, though. Oh, well...

Zxzm

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck the Pack, Dewayne White comes back next week and ruptures Farve's spleen next week.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were 6-2 and had faced nothing but bums at the quarterback position. Now that we're facing the game's elite, look for our secondary to be exposed as the joke it is for the remainder of the season. We'll be lucky to win two games.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6472
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is a quandry. We always thought the offense was going to carry this team and yet, that's the part that's failing us. Sure a big part of the blame/ credit falls on Martz and his system but the execution still needs to be there. I think the system is sound (because it obvious had some success in Martz' previous jobs)- the burden of responsibility falls onto the guys that have to make the plays now. Whether it's youth, inexperience or just lack of concentration- if the Lions can improve upon making those plays, it still scares the bejeebers out of the opposing teams defenses.

Defensively I think Joe Barry has done an amazing job with our defense. Our defense and our porous secondary has actually held up amazingly well. Positionally they seem to be there and the blue swarming to the ball is very evident compared to years previous. The takeaway stat speaks volumes. It's not perfect by any stretch because of the lack of tackling issues but I think that's something that can be worked upon.

I'm hoping that Marinelli is smart enough of a football man to see these things and adjust to them. His sense of consistency seems to help. We're still a long ways from being an elite team but we seem to have a decent upside to our game.

I'm also in agreement with the media pundits that insist on having Calvin Johnson in the game 24/7. If nothing else, as a decoy to keep double coverage on him. I'm sure there's more to it than what's on the surface here (his injury is worse than he lets on?). He's probably one of the rawest pieces of amazing talent I've seen in a long while- some of the plays he's gotten to (granted it's over a smaller DB, but that's not his fault) are game breakers.

Still optimistic & hopeful.