Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through December 02, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Shak is a hawk and will remember I am sure .........how long were you hiding? Did you have breakfast the next morning and Trudy just thought that you were one ot TT's older friends who collected baseball cards......

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Trudy knew me well...she liked me a lot...I was always very polite to mama's...enjoyed visiting their house. I dunno how long we were up in his bedroom...maybe an hour or so before she got rid of KH who I always thought was a real ass...fortunately my car was parked around the corner. ST and I were good friends...we used to get together after we'd both been out on dates and just go sit on a sea wall in GP to talk. I knew a lot of her secrets and she knew mine. She was a good pal.

Eastside61

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Whoa.......another chapter! I can't wait until the trip from DTW to TC.......you might just fill 4 hours of drive time.....Maryland moe will love to hear the stories toooooo

Goblue

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It'd be a pretty boring chapter.

Eastside61

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - denial...denial......will not old up....you would not be a great witness in the EASTSIDE Court of Justice......

Goblue

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'M INNOCENT!! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Eastside61

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Just FYI.....Chuck E.....in the late '40's/early 50's ran the summer boys scout camp in Howell.......Metamora or some other name that has slip on by.......

Goblue

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The world continues to shrink...I was never at Metamora in the summer but BSA Troop 706 sure did a lot of weekends at that camp...in cabins and in tents. I wonder if its still there or if developers have turned it into condos.

Eastside61

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - small world....right on...The Dean of the School of Education at Notre Dame de Namur University (Belmont CA) told me the other day that her daughter lives in MI.....in an area called Metamora.....

Goblue

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It sounds like my fears were realized...a great campground into condos! Notre Dame de somethin'...do you have to be celibate to teach there? I'd read the contract carefully if I were you!

Eastside61

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - one has to teach in the nude......those Belgian nuns who founded this place were quite hip.......Celibate or celebrate! you pick.....

Goblue

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...from the ones that I've known...all of whom had climbed over the wall...there was a serious tendency in the orders to mistake or misspell...weren't no virgins in the group...the way they told it when they heard someone yellin' "Oh God YES!" in a room down the hall it weren't part of the daily vespers!

Eastside61

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Well stated Father!.It is always good to be closer to thee....and your wisdom......."Inn Keeper...another round for the Good Father" TC August 1, 2008

Goblue

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Meant to ask...are you planning to do some adjunct work at Notre Dame...or going back to work full time? TARS never quit working!

Eastside61

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Teaching at ND part time since 98.....and actually was hired a month ago as a consultant for a local sch dist. regarding spec ed issues they were having.....so life is full - and what about you?????
mafia, Lutheran outreach and bingo?

Goblue

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My tasks are basically volunteer...member of the AZ Early Childhood Development & Health Board, member of the local community college foundation board, member of our church board...every once in a while some international consulting for the Dept. of State pops up...like the Mexico trip...not much money in it...usually enough to pay ST's expenses to come along...when it happens I usually work about half time and get time for tourist stuff the other half. Its fun...I don't go looking for it anymore but when it comes along its always a good time.

That....plus horses and ranch chores keeps me from spending my days down on Historic Prescott's Whiskey Row...where the cowboys, bikers and tourists mingle in about a dozen bars within one long block...it makes for an interesting experience on Saturday nights.

ST works two days a week for the local district as a school psychologist...which was her original field...her degree is in educ. psych...that gives me a couple of days to fill as I choose although the huneydo list always seems longer than two days worth!

Eastside61

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - ST is a sch Psych....Oh! I need to talk with her.....poor thing not knowing the complete Fordham EXPERIENCE - Good for you in putting together a great career.....and it sounds like a mellow and active life style after kissing the past 40 years goodnight....When in town she can be a quest speaker in my Clinical Assessment Ed 361 course for special education / credential grad students.....

Goblue

Post Number: 707
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: ST knows all she needs to know about the eastside and my life as a TAR...she knows that I was a BSA leader...president of the Messiah youth group...brought soup to neighbors when they were ill...shoveled snow from sidewalks to earn enough to go to college...a polite upstanding citizen of the community.

Yeah...things are pretty laid back at this point...feels better than the driven, anxiety ridden political world...knowing that every job was for 3-5 yrs. and move on. I wouldn't mind do a little adjunct work but to tell the truth I haven't been motivated enough to pursue it...plus I've been out of the game for 6 years now...it changes fast...and $1.5K for a class just doesn't quite get there.

ST started out as a school psych...was a director of special educ...when I came to town as supt. I moved her to director of program evaluation. She's a Hoosier (whatever the hell a Hoosier is)...her degrees are all from Ball State. She's enjoying her two days a week working with kids...she retired early at 55 so we could move out here and then got tired of playing bridge and going to lunch with her girlfriends...a friend told her about this job and they were glad to find someone with her credentials. She said it took her a little while to get back up to speed because it had been so long since she worked with kids...this is her second year doing it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - NDNU is 1.5 a unit........and it is one night a week for 14 weeks.....I like the consulting/psych stuff and will be here in San Carlos CA until 12/21.......and i can determine my hours on a daily basis....nothing locked in....which is nice......

Goblue

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 1.5 a unit? Is that a credit hour? That would interest me. Plus the freedom of doing your own thing.

I enjoyed the life on campus but when I was at WMU I was totally focused on boosting my pension basis. As a result I picked up extra load courses whenever I could...was racing around SW MI six days a week...from GR to St. Joe to Battle Creek to campus...trying to read dissertations in my spare time...it was crazy for almost five years but it paid off...grabbed the MI pension and worked as a supt for another six years.

Eastside61

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - 1.5 x my 4 units for ED 361 generates $6.......once in a while I teach two courses.....and remember as at most insitutions.....part time people are not paying into the pension stuff.....and at my age and experience in CA for 32 years I have that aspect covered pretty well......It is the fun of teaching others......and sometimes I co-teach the course with my daughter who has her Ph.d in developmental psych so the roadshow is awesome and funny, too.....and I even bring in my other daughter who is an expert in special education for children who have autism and mental retardation.....Family night throughout the semester....Life is good!

Goblue

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Decent money for part time work...and fun too. That would be a real kick to be able to work with your kids...ya gotta be damn proud dad!

I don't even speak the same language as my son...his (and his wife's) doc is in molecular biology (Chicago, UCLA, Johns Hopkins)...they are typical microscope scientists...in that they look down their noses at those of us in the "soft" behaviorals. His loss, I figure. My daughter's an RN...she's more grounded.

Amen...life is damn good!

Eastside61

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - sorry that the son never learned the Eastside code that we are all on the earth together....and good for your daughter.....RN's in this area make mega bucks....in fact big mega bucks....

Eastside61

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Next time around we are going to work in the same district together....and totally have some fun.....

Goblue

Post Number: 720
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You got that right...about working together...wish you had headed to Warren Woods after graduation...most of the guys were Spartans at least for grad school...you'd have loved it...trust me...I was stupidly married but for the single guys it was like working in a candy store! I was promoted to principal when I was 25 and opened a brand new elementary school...by the second year I was the oldest person in the building...except for my secretary...she was 31...the teachers called her Menopause Mary...pissed her off a bunch...just to give you an idea of the age of the teachers. It was the highlight of my career...high energy...creative...a hell of a lot of fun...I looked for it...or tried to recreate it...for the rest of my career without much luck.

Eastside61

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The SE experience was because I had a low lottery draft number and was not married like you guys....and my draft board which I am sure was yours because we lived in 48205 ....I was one block away from safety 48224 which did not go after my friends who lived in that draft board area....anyways my board would give out deferments "A-3 " if you would teach sci or math in the inner city.......so Biology at SE was cool....in fact the whole experience of SE was cool.....a school in 1961 that was about 50/50 racially by 1965/66 97 % ethnic.......with 2800 students

The staff rocked and that is why it hung out on Fridays at Francel's because it became a Cass Tech /SE group.....in fact I ended up knowing the cop who went undercover July '67 on 12th / Clairmont....who made the buy after 2 am....and was there when the whole neighborhood attacked the DPD.....he was dating a roommate of a girl (CASS teacher) that I has chasing around - small world....and very interesting tmes......SE was the command post for the Federal Troops - let's see SE is only a few blocks from GPPark......and the apartment building on the corner of Goethe / Fairview right across from SE.....had ALL of it windows blown out.....BSA 706 was not the cause of the missing windows.....and Machine gun was left in the library and when the DPS teacher went on strike in the fall of 67 when we were marching around the building there was a pool started about how many bullet holes total one could count in the brick siding of the apartment building.....I have more stories.....tooooo

Goblue

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: WHOOOEEEE! I like my stories better! No machine guns...no bullet holes...no undercover cops...just lots and lots of foxes in the classrooms.

Goblue

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: For some reason the previous didn't post properly...trying again.

Eastside61

Post Number: 583
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - and you were linked to an former "jungaleer" tooooooo! (Purple Power) I think both situations were most "Mellow" in various ways.....did you stay late for PTA meetings...(cough....cough)

Goblue

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: PLEASE! I do my best to forget my connection to SE...ten years and two kids...more grief than I could ever begin to describe.

Interesting that you bring up PTA meetings...all schools in the district met for PTA on the same night of the month...the parents were the same ages we were...teacher, parents, principals... LORD, the parties at DiMambro's...and I was STUPIDLY married...and by then with one child!