Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through December 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Thanks for doing the Eastwood thing....the Whitakers build on a vacant lot between the Ryans and our house.....We used to play pool over on E Warren and about Farmbrook....HS social scene was at Pippo's on Kensington and E Warren....and College days we were hanging a Edward's in SCS, Red Carpet next to the Alger and E Warren Lanes bar...and when I worked at Southeastern we hung out at Francells - a black and tan bar on conner and warren....Oh! I remember Kavans but there was a small bar Green Oaks on the corner of Harper/Morang and I 94...I think beer was 10 cents a glass and shuffle board was free...KR where do yo live now???? and do you ever get to San Jose???? brother in law lives out here -right????

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Live in Riverview, MI (about a 45 minute drive to the Eastwood neighborhood). Name of the pool hall is Snookers (use to be Kelly's Kue)on Kelly Road in East Pointe. The Irish bar is McFlarhety's on Charlevoix near Alter Rd in GPP. I did take Morang/Cadieux route to GPP passed what use to be Kavans (should have paid attention to what it is now). My connection to Eastwood are an yearly trip down memory lane with my brother or an occasional drive thru with a good friend (who coincidentally lived the first couple of years of his life 54-56 probably almost directly behind you on Fordham...The irony is I met my friend years later at the poolhall and later discovered he lived on the same block (albeit different times) as I did. and of course GB was a Fordham resident at one time.....This is way less than six degrees of separation!

My mother moved from Eastwood in 95. Her nextdoor neighbor who moved in the late 80s is still there. I wonder if there is one person that has been there since the 60s still living in that neighborhood. I know of none. As I mentioned before I do see names in my mother's St. Jude paper that list long time parishoners but that doesn't mean they still reside in the St. Jude/Heilmann area.

My family and I do get to San Jose on ocassion. My Bro-in-law's job takes him all over the globe (He is a patent attorney and lectures and does business overseas especially in Japan). He is engaged to be married to a Russian woman (a translator). When things "settle down" my wife and I hope to get out there....a night at the tank may be in order.

Out of curiosity, you and GB seem to go way back. Did you know each other well during the Denby/Columbus days or has the cyber world reaquainted you in this fashion? Both of your backgrounds in education seem fasinating and I do enjoy and appreciate your political fervor. More later.

Eastside61

Post Number: 575
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - GB and I are only linked recently through this thread....He is a true Eastsider and knows the neighborhood and the happenings of the 50-60 era.....From my Eastwood era I remember a Gorlitz family and McAlpine (not sure) who lived directly behind us on Eastwood....I hope the illegal room that my father build on the back of the house is still part of the house...My educator background was from my father who was a school administrator at an elementary school on 12th and Clairmont......Angell Elementary - about a block from the famous blind pig after hours joint that was raided in '67 that started it all......

Kellyroad

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I do remember a Gotelere (sp) family (a Detroit fireman) who almost lived right behind you. Of course that could have been after you moved to Mapleridge.

Interesting about your father being an administrator. Who can forget 12th street (now Rosa Park Blvd. and Clairmont). Did your family always have eastside roots? My father worked for the Det. Housing Comm. and at that time the residency rules applied to Detroit employees. Did the DPS teachers/administrators during your fathers time have to adhere to residency requirements? Do you remember Mary Ellen Reardon (sp?) president of the Det. Fed. of Teachers during the 60s. For some reason I've never forgotten about her. She seemed very dynamic and campaigned hard for teacher's issues (at least from the perspective of a young kid).

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 719
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & KR: Yeah, I agree...the political arena simply elevates my blood pressure...and gets me wondering if Jefferson got it right with the concept of universal democracy...plus, we're just singin' to the choir. The Eastside is a whole lot more fun.

ES and I didn't know each other in the Columbus/Denby days. His older brother...who was a semester ahead of me...and I ran around in the same circles. ES graduated two years behind me...I think he was retained in kindergarten and the 2nd grade. We did however, have several friends in common...the most prominent of which was SH...who I dated once...and he...well... we'll leave that alone. I had several friends who lived on Mapleridge...e.g. Dennis E., Peggy G., Roseanne M, Diane K...to name a few...actually, even though I lived on Fordham a few doors from Celestine most of the people I ran around with lived more in the Columbus-Denby-Balduck area.

That had to be fun visiting the Eastside and shooting a few games of pool. We used to go to a pool hall somewhere on 8 Mile...can't exactly remember where it was. Our TAR social scene was at Lombardi's...on Warren close to Cadieux...when home from WMU and later it was at Kavan's on Morang...loved that place...especially on St. Pat's day...great beer and a really good walleye or pickerel dinner on Friday's...by the time I was working in the Warren Wds. Schools we all hung out at a place called The Executive Inn...it was on Van Dyke near the Chrysler tank operation I think...we were there or if we stayed in the district we were at a pizza-bar place called DiMambro's...I think it was on Hoover.

Its interesting that the city has done away with the outdoor skating rinks...I wonder if its because no one used them...or if they became too expensive to maintain...or if the increased sophistication of skating, both hockey and figure, moved it all to the indoor rinks.

I know what you mean about the way less than six degrees of separation...I long ago lost track of the numbers of people that I've encountered with Heilmann-Columbus-NE side Catholic parish-Denby backgrounds...the most recent was a woman at our church who is the sister of a woman I dated at Denby...the world is incredibly small!

Like you, I would be incredulous if any of the old neighbors still lived on Fordham...hell, way more than half of the homes are gone and there are simply vacant lots...that's true of ours. My folks moved from the 'hood in '71...and I think most of the old neighbors were already gone. My folks are both gone now...if they were alive they'd be 103 and 99...most of the neighbors were in the same age range...so... they're all likely deceased also.

Later...

(Message edited by GoBlue on December 02, 2007)

Eastside61

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB / KR = Tuschak was the last person I knew who lived in Motown. Bishop / Chandler Park Dr....and it took him over three years to unload the house....East English Village, which it is known as know (realtor tag for the neighborhood I am sure) was just the Denby neighborhood in the 50-60 era.....Nice homes- different style than the Eastwood - Fordham - Mapleridge style....in the day they appeared to be BIG...and now they are small brick homes but still have the treelined streets....

My folks left DTW in or around 73....moved to there summer home in the Huron nat. Forest and then several years later they sold that and moved to TC.....

Mother is still hanging with the Senior crowd in TC during the week....and god bless my bro and his wonderful wife as they offerred to her a chance to move in with them about two years ago......Mom is 93

For her 90th my brother/wife held a big party for her with about 80 family and friends rockin' at a brunch......

GB is strongly thinking of heading back to MI in late July/early august to hang with the GREEn/wHITE group as part of his intervention therapy.....

In the 60's I used to watch the nightly news and once in a while I would see MOM marching and holding a candle or singing as she protested the Viet Nam war......I think she was part of the "weathermen" who by day was a school secretary at G. Richard elementary back of Wards on Gratiot.....

I had a friend who just purchased a macbook pro and I had him go to google earth and look at the Eastlawn/ Jefferson and then we check out the Seymour to Fordham neighborhood......he was shocked....and somewhat in disbelief.....he kept asking me..."WHAT HAPPENED? " "YOUR KIDDING - There were homes there......" Actually when Detroit's loss of pop is discussed - people are at a loss for words.....It is ave. 1000/1500 people a month are leaving......NOT A GOOD Sign......

HOmes in CA are still on the rise....Homes in Motown you can get for $1.00 - I have read the property listings.....

Goblue

Post Number: 723
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/KR: Like we agreed...the 'hood is gone...what I wonder about is what they did regarding the basements of all of those houses that are gone. Our house didn't have one but most of the others did...if they just bulldozed the wreckage into the basements in time all of that will settle...and they'll have a zillion sunken ponds that will trap rainwater...and breed mosquitos...and God knows what forms of bacteria. It looks to me like another disaster in the making.

Prices for real estate have stabilized here in the past year or so...but we're waiting for the next wave of Californians to come driving the prices ever higher. We bought his place in 2003...by 2006 the value had literally doubled...its fallen back by about 15% now...but...it'll soar again. We have reserved space in our tack room for a bunk for ES when the Pacific rises by 10 feet...nothin' too good for a Spartan.

Eastside61

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - are you still spraying for flies???? I have several fly cover blankets - should I bring them?

GB - also took a peak at the 58 gold team.....who is that clown in the last row? what ever happened to M. Swerdling? and what about the Kroenig girls!.ha ha.....we totally missed the boat......

Goblue

Post Number: 728
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nope...no flies since the day before Thanksgiving...temps suddenly dived...its been below freezing every night for the last week...ice on the stock tank in the morning...but...this is high desert...by mid day its up to around 60...we were out riding this afternoon.

Howsomeever...we had a hellacious storm this weekend...a couple of inches of rain...not sure how high the winds were but it snapped our flagpole...I forgot to bring the flag in...also blew over the grill on the patio outside our bedroom...I almost filled the damn thing with .357 slugs when I heard the crash...always be sure to call ahead at night!

Eastside61

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Not the u OF m flag????? What should I call you??? any nicknames?????

Goblue

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No...not M flag...U.S. flag got shredded.

Just start singing "Hail to the Victors" when you come up the driveway...you'll be met with an opened beer.

Eastside61

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - sing........maybe you can play it on the home victrola - since it was only recorded on 78 rpm records...and I will lip sink it just for you and ST.....has she given you the rorschach yet?????? here...sit and hold this card and tell me what you see....

Goblue

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I dunno...she has all of these cards with dirty pictures...I keep wondering about you school psychs.

Eastside61

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Ask ST if I can borrow her cards...they sound more interesting than the set I Have....

Goblue

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: She claims they are extremely benign...but wonders about people from the eastside...like I said...she's a Hooiser!

Eastside61

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - have only known a few.......Dick Anglin '62 TAR....who hung out with BBrink went to IU and unfortunately passed away....and good friend that SE and I have out here is a mid '50s grad of IU.....can she explain exactly what a HOOSIER is?????

Goblue

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...I know we told a lot of Ohio jokes...but they were funny...Ohio has a lot of things to joke about. I never thought about it at the time...but no one ever told Indiana jokes. Now I understand!

Hell...THEY don't even know what a Hoosier is! I don't think I ever knew one before I took the Richmond job...it wasn't exactly the highlight of my career...but...I did find ST and that made it all worth while.

Eastside61

Post Number: 596
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Has ST experienced the urban prairie in recent years.....renting a half track with guns is difficult.....but it is worth the experience!

Goblue

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Oh yeah...she goes back every summer...her folks are both 86...both WWII vets...its her hometown but she sees it differently now that we've been out here for 5 years. I'm the SOB that lured their eldest away from her "true roots." We're going back for the holidays but I can't say that I'm looking forward to the trip...one of those things that ya just gotta do. We'll also head up to Kzoo to visit grandkids.

Eastside61

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - sorry.....but the hometown is Motown or a peaceful village in Indiana.......?????

Goblue

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Wouldn't call Richmond a "peaceful village"...real rust bucket of a community...its dead or dying and just hasn't fallen over yet...used to be a thriving community...location for major music recording industry in the '30's & '40's...seems strange but its true...also major industrial base at one time...Carpenter school bus was the last serious operation to pull out around 1990...the ones left are a pet food operation...which smells up the town...and a wire producer...these days its basically an $8/hr. fast food economy...the only thing that keeps it going is the fact that its right on the interstate so when someone needs a McDonald's or a rest area its handy....the high school is the worst I ever saw in my career...they graduate a little over 50% of incoming 9th graders...racial diversity is something like 85% white...also the home of Earlham College...a little liberal arts school where rich Quakers send their kids to contemplate their navels and hum mantras.

The town ain't my favorite spot on the face of the earth.

Eastside61

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - So no CSI reunion EVER in Richmond......Did you see the post about the top HS in the Detroit area.......Thought for sure that DHS would be ranked with CT....(cough)......

Goblue

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You got that right! Never a reunion in Richmond!

Got my U.S. News & World in the mail today...saw the listing about top high schools but haven't read it yet...haven't seen the thread but will look for it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Huntsville Grissom High were included...they have 10-12 National Merit finalists every year...not a big surprise when a high percentage of the parents are NASA scientists.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and ES: Happened to pick up a US News and World Report and perused the HS article.....not one school in MI. You'd think that the HEILMANN(far northeast side) area would have at least one HS that could crack the top 100) Cass Tech..No, Renaissance High..No, Roeper..No, Cranbrook..No GP South..No??. I did'nt read the particulars of the article where it explained the inclusion criteria, (and I'm not sure that private schools were excluded.) but still,,,NOT ONE SCHOOL IN MI!?? What do you educational scholars think of the article? Is there a bias? Is it incomplete?

Goblue

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I have a subscription to US News & World...read the high school rating article last night...it caught my eye that 11 states were not even included in the analysis...it strikes me as somewhat silly to publish some sort of report purporting to rank schools nationally while excluding 22% of the states. I'm not certain what percentage of the schools in the country that would equate to...several of the states were those with smaller populations...Alaska, the Dakotas, Montana, etc.

I noticed too that several of the schools on the list were university connected...meaning that their students are likely professors kids with a few locals tossed in for diversity. A high number of the schools on the list are listed as application only...they aren't exactly public schools. A high percentage of the schools on the list are not public schools... they're "charter, magnet or application" schools... in other words...exclusive.

One of the owners of one of the schools that was on the list was asked how they did it...he responded..."We only take the very top students and give them an exciting program." Well, duh! In other words he has no special needs kids, no badasses, no kids without highly supportive families, no kids whose parents can't afford to buy them a computer...in other words...he doesn't live in the world of public education...most certainly not in the world of urban public education.

I'm too many years removed from public education in the Detroit area or even Michigan to really have any thoughts about why there were no MI schools on the list. I would have thought that at the very least Cranbrook and Det. Country Day would be on the list given the types of schools that were reviewed. I was surprised that Huntsville (AL) Grissom High wasn't on the list until I saw that Alabama had been excluded from the overall report. We routinely had 10-12 National Merit Finalists every year at that school. But then...its the school attendance area where most of the NASA and Redstone Arsenal scientists live.

Overall, I guess my reaction to the report is that its just another piece of journalistic bullshit designed to sell a magazine. I've never noted that media reporters assigned to cover education were the brightest group...this piece of work looks pretty shallow from a professional point of view.

The thing I worry about is that this sort of thing simply works to further push this country in the direction of a Latin American style of schooling...the type that the Bush administration wants. Private tax-supported schools for the wealthy...public schools for everyone else...further dividing our people.

Eastside61

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I must say that GB you are right on about the US News Bull Shit....but i can also say that the 4 CA schools in my area on the list are all public....and very good!

Goblue

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/KR: Good to hear that the CA schools are the list are true public schools...there is hope.

Eastside61

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - one has 1900+ and the other is close to 2500+.....big places that do it right.....

Goblue

Post Number: 756
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There are a few...here and there...like I said about Grissom High...but that was also a unique population. Also...like I said earlier...the worst I've ever seen was Richmond (IN) H.S...the teachers actually pressured the kids to drop out...graduation rate was/is a little over 50%...it was/is disgusting!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Thanks for your detailed insight. I believe the same comments could apply to the US news/wr rankings of university/colleges, grad school programs, hospitals etc. Bottom line...RANKINGS SELL! The criteria included or excluded is inherently biased, especially when considering the massive scale of a national ranking and the political fallout.