Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through December 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I think you're right about all of the ranking reports...its all about selling the product....with the possible exception of noting that THE University of Michigan is always ranked in the top five or ten....and...the other school up in East Lansing is always in the top 500. (chuckle...grin...boistrous laughter)...if that doesn't wake ES up I don't know what will!! Awriight...awriiight!! I'm just kidding!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR/GB - I have been discussing things with JrV ........the walking spinal cord - WHAT a fool! In other news thank god that MSU made the first 500 - I do know that they have a great outreach program for wayward uOFm alumni who can't remember prom date names and other events that occurred on the EASTSIDE.....I think the program for helping others in the USN latest issue is ranked NO#1....."Were No# 1....were No#1" and we will be number one in TC in August.....

Goblue

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/KR: Geez...one minor detail slips a guy's mind and his friends castigate him forever...I remember lots of events on the eastside...I remember Bill H. taking a shot at some guy that he caught messin' with his youngest...I remember how to find Balduck...and...the foot of Alter Rd...I remember lots of stuff that will be presented by my defense counsel in TC..."if the gloves don't fit you can't convict!"

Eastside61

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The shot missed....so it doesn't count.......All I can say is that you better be nice to the CSI women.....They don''t care where you attended.....I do remember that they were VERY upset that S.....was not remembered.....I think you should wear green and take the verbal abuse....then go change into your leather helmet - but maybe wearing the helmet will help initially...your call! I am just going to sit back and laugh.....you are on your own

Goblue

Post Number: 766
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: When times are tough one discovers the true nature of one's friends!

I remember SJ's many attributes very clearly...I simply became confused regarding her name...possibly the result of a puck to the head during a challenge game defending the honor of eastside ladies.

Besides...Ah shore 'nuff intend to be my most charmin' self in the company of the fine ladies of the MSU-CSI...a more lovely group of belles I have never encountered. I'm counting heavily on my experience as a Southern gentleman to get me out of this hole...plus...I always sit near the door!

Eastside61

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - with your back to the wall, too! Ya all! Want to list the attributes ? i dare you!

Goblue

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nothing beyond personal charm...she was an incredibly charming young lady...plus...well, never mind the plus.....and a heartfelt mea culpa...mea culpa...mea culpa...on my part!

Eastside61

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "personal charm" ....what's that! Not one of those Fox Studio films- right???? Did you stalk her for a while before the con about the prom - ????

Goblue

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You guys of the Mapleridge Mob always just had one thing in mind....in our case it was charm, polish, sophistication, elegance...the ability to conduct oneself in a polite and courtly manner...SJ was a most delightful prom date...no basement tryst for a young lady of her caliber!

Eastside61

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Did she like Ballduck? Foot of Alter at the Marine Hospital or did you go big time at the foot of Lakewood?????? The CSI Queens will be asking you know!

Goblue

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Now...how would the fine ladies of the CSI know about such locations?

Eastside61

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Remember.....? DHS did not have textbooks so Monday night TJ library experience - Wed Night - Pippo's/Lombardi's .... Weekend - various nature study programs and Ballduck - Alter - Lakewood and other dark streets....The CSI investigators were all part of the program, too

Goblue

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: AH HA! Maybe I better get some names before we set off on this venture!

Eastside61

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I am wondering if any of the CSI group ever were in your Ford? hummmmm!

Goblue

Post Number: 791
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Surely if that were the case someone would have said something last summer in TC...no? But...since I had so little a social life its really not very likely. I hope! Especially if I can't remember names...early dementia...that's it! Its early dementia...I can't be held accountable for memory loss!

Eastside61

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - YOu need the T-3 program (Tars Therapeutic Treatment).....and what is this crap about NO social life.....sure! the tears start welling up in my eyes when you mention these hardships you endured while driving to Ballduck and other eastside locations.....THAT Ford never stopped rockin'.....and I mean rockin'

Goblue

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sniff, sniff...it WAS sad...working at the photo lab, picking cherries from our tree to sell door to door, caddying at the CCD...at church at least 3 evenings a week...passing out bibles at Balduck...there was NO social life...that I remember!

I understand that you had a sign in the back window of your Ford..."Don't come a'knockin' when the Ford she's arockin'" It was famous all over the eastside.

Off to PHX for a morning meeting.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all right........another east sider to join the fray......I'm gunnin' for Kelly Road.......for starters, conner station is the 15th pct. not the 5th.and porr Mrs. Iola........or if you're really in the know about Eastwood......LIBBY all for now Mike.........I mean Kelly Road........

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, Welcome to the thread. You're right the 5th prec. is on Jefferson, 15th on Connor and Gratiot....My bad. Yes, who can forget Libby. Apparently the time honored tradition of badgering Mrs. Iola goes back to the 50s (read ES61's contribution). What years were you in the hood?

Eastside61

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR & 7/K: The poor thing (Iola) was totally badgered in the 50's...had a son who would also appear at the door when we would ring her door bell and hide in the bushes across the street where KR lived.......or in the alley between E'wood and Saratoga.....Hey! Kid where did you reside in the neighborhood...on Eastwood?

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you betcha......on Eastwood.....between Kelly and Morang..all for now.....

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K........let's take a walk through the hood...it's 1961....Kennedys in the White House.....dawn of the modern age..we'll start at KR's driveway........let's head............East........past Vigneau's, (let's wave at Rick (bless his soul) and Don)..........past the Shaheens (Larry, Lori, and Louie.Paula later),.cross Redmond...(should have gotten one of the old black and white street signs before the green ones went up...oh well)........past Bohr's house.......never knew who lived in the house next to their's.....empty lot........big grey house with lots of kids.....(probably Protestants.........if they didn't go to St. Jude's I didn't know 'em......then a bunch of houses unknown to me (KR's at an advantage here...he had the News route he bought fron Don Vigneau)........o.k. then at the end...right before the alley................the Veenstras...I know that because they had that cool jockey out front with their name on it.......I wonder if that thing is still there?...not very P.C. today I'm sure......anyway.......ah..... the corner...Colonial Federal Savings...I can still hear the clang of the metal posts when you hit them with a stick......that time and temp sign is really neat.....in future years I could tell how late I was for work and then screaming down Moross to 94 in my.....in my........oooo....that would make it too easy to disclose my identy......all for now........

(Message edited by 7_and_kelly_kid on December 12, 2007)

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

o.k.......where were we?......oh yeah......ya know, that corner was our playground while they were building the bank. I should have taken some pics so in later years we could tunnel in to the safe. Anyway, next stop is J and B barber shop Jimmy Bucceleto) and then the gift shop. Hmmmm....we're on the corner of 7 and Kelly (technically Kelly and Moross but only those in the know would know the wierdness of the layout)....anyway.....the "giftshop" never had a name as far I know but the guy who owned the butcher shop owned the whole corner and his son ran the giftshop...............between the two was Jason's pasry shop ("the bakery") and just before the alley............The Beer Store!.....Georges when I arrived on the scene followed by Boscoes..........let's cross the alley and hmmmmmmm........another playground!...(soon to to B.G. Lauries and sons florist).......we'll keep on walking and cross Fordham......(another wierd corner) and there sits the Pure Station......(followed in later years by a fish store of some sort......ya know......I've never been in there.......oh well........keep walkin' til we come to......to...another playground site!.....the building of the St. Jude Credit Union!.......and now a quiz of sorts.........who can tell me the name (what we called it anyway)....of St. Jude's parking lot?...........c'mon KR....I know you know...remember when they widened 7 mile rd.?....boy oh boy here we are in front of Rev. John Joseph Ordings' kingdom..............lots more on that subject later.......hey! its 6 o'clock......I used to love watching those bells toll.....((I know now who they tolled for....they tolled for me!)...first that hammer..........then the big bell.....wow!.........KR....yo u got one on me........you actually were up in the tower?....and rang the bell!.I too was an altar boy (still am I guess........Dominus Vobiscum.........anyway....... ...more later.

(Message edited by 7_and_kelly_kid on December 12, 2007)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, Et cum spiritus tuo
Don't forget Judy Shaheen. I believe the Kohl's lived in the grey house on the double lot with a neat side room. I just might have to dig up my route book and get more slides scanned to continue this world of nostalgia, Ok, mystery man, I'm guessing you lived closer to Redmond then Morang (Colonial Federal Savings was more of an interest to those who lived closer to Kelly) Did you ever climb on top ot the Colonial Bank (remember the shrouded fan provided an easy access to climb to the first level of the bank...O yeah the Veentras really kept a close eye on the building (lol)I remember opening an account at Colonial (1965) with $12. Yes, they paid better interest than St. Jude Credit union. Did you ever make a prank phone call to Boscoes with a phoney delivery?(you can fess up the statute of limitations I believe is over). Filled my bike tires up with air at the Pure gas station..later became Sea World...Use to walk my kids over there to see the animals when visiting grandma and grandpa. The name of the St. Jude parking lot according to the Eastwood (and Fordham and Saratoga bunch) was the "black top"...ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!.... many games of hoops, 21, strike out, 500 or just simply watching other kids drive their go-carts or minibikes ocurred there in the 60s.. The Eastwood bunch probably spent more time at the black top due to its close proximity than at Heilmann. Ok 7&K or any one in the Heilmann/7 Mile area..more trivia (granted St. Jude folks will have an advantage on this one)
What was the name of the club that was housed on 7 Mile between the west end of the black top and Rex? There was a sign right on the duplex with the name. Never did climb the bell tower but got to activate them with a key switch...the peeling seemed to vibrate the sacristy.
Oh yes, somewhere in the family archives there is a picture of my sister during her first communion with 7 mile in the background being widened. The widening at that time really made 7 Mile seem much more like a busy highway than the seemingly quaint residential avenue it once was.
Even with all the activity on the blacktop, you know the hub of activity was on the Eastwood/Redmond intersection. Poor, poor Libby. How can anyone keep a full healthy lawn with a bunch of kids playing touch football and tearing up the grass?? Do you recall Libby mowing her lawn at midnight with an old fashioned reel push mower?? Oh well those memories make that neighborhood during that time special. You could walk out on to the street after dinner and have a game of touch football, curbball at a moments notice. More later

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon.........you don't mean the Rapport Club!...(I always thought it was the rap a port club until I I got older and figured out what rapport meant........super trivia..........who started the club?

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea............yea...........f orgot the fan...Vigneau did that one...........on top of the drive through was cool.....I got you pegged don't I!...more later....(you left too many clues Mike S.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&KK,
Just a guess.....Ritenhouse along with JJ Ording???????

Kellyroad

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&KK,
Your postings in other thread just revealed your ID. Hope things are going well Dave. It's been a long, long time! Keep the input coming.
KR

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

............to KR.............hmmmmmmmm...... .....curbball rules........between the "lines"..was fair...............past the sidewalk across the street was a homerun! (unless you caught it).sigh...........love to your mom and sister M.....and brother P..more later.

Eastside61

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7/Kid: I hope you are in with KR, Gb and myself about writing a historical book about the 50's / 60's and what it meant to be an Eastsider! Another chapter has been created: The Black Top ....even in the mid to late 50's it was the BLACK TOP!