Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Hockey's all time low?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the people of Detroit need to clear something up for me tonight.

Facts:

Tigers haven't won a world series in 23 years and running. A little bit of flare from the team, but still a big letdown late last season.

The Pistons continue to thrive as a team. No complaints there.

The Lions have consistently sucked year after year.... stringing along fans game by game only to "$hit the bed" when it really counts.

Why does our city continue to ignore the first place Red Wings throughout media? 97.1 continues to blabber about the Lions as if that is all we want to hear about. They also cover OFF-season baseball talk. Yet I have once to hear one of those Radio-Hosts even mention the Wings during any of my car rides.

Do the people of Detroit not realize they are watching the best team in the NHL right now? The expertise of Lidstom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are Hall of Fame performances and all I hear about on the radio is how the Lions have a twinkle of hope and the Tigers are acquiring this guy or that.
We are represented by the best in the league and our sports columnists and hosts continue to neglect that fact.

Why?

And even more frustrating is how ESPN has more or less sold out on the sport also. We get a small recap snuck between two long B-ball clips during SportsCenter. They neglect the sport on a broad scale like our own sports writers and hosts do here on a local basis.

I admit... the lock out did not help. But in comparison, was the baseball lockout a while back any different? Did the Mitchell report not taint Baseball a bit. Football has it's own problems with over reacting tough guys, dog fighters, steroids and monopolies. Basketball continues to fly straight, paying respect. Why does our country and citizens reject Hockey as a mainstream sport?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the nhl regular season is boring to the casual hockey fan. Plus the wings are so good now that there are no faults for the fans to complain about.plus the regular season is nothing in hockey since 16 teams make it to the tourney

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ducks, sharks, coyotes, predator, lightening. I grew up on hockey and even I don't care about these teams any more than their home fans do.
It's too bad for the Wings and their fans. Maybe the more balanced schedule next year will help a little.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I USED to be a hockey fan and, believe it or not, a Wings season ticket holder at the old barn on Grand River.

My question:

Does Ilitch feel the need to pump some energy into his franchise by building a new arena?

(P.S. I know Ilitch can't change the NHL, but he can build a new arena for the local fans to enjoy).

Just a question.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. They have to play the same teams over and over again while many teams we want to see dont get on the schedule.
2. The price of the tickets kept going up and up, my tickets were $85 a game.
3. The lockout pissed a lot of people off when the league salary was cut the Red Wings fans were offered little more then some hot dog tokens.
4. Early exits from the playoffs after great years.
5. Shift of interest to the Tigers
6. Economic situation in our area

Tkshreve

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So instead we gripe over the Lions year after year...... what a bore!

The Lions suck...... and they will not be good (read: reliable) for many years. Yet our local sportscasters and radio hosts allot every inch of airwaves and coverage to this shambled company. In all actuality, the Lions tenure at the bottom of the league could be considered a dynasty.

The tigers were there for quite some time also.

It just baffles me that our city does not jump on board with the best sports team to ever play in Detroit. Early playoff exits ..... sure, but consider how many games they won during those seasons. Fans want to see a home team win, and the Wings do that VERY consistently. High ticket prices..... absolutely, but you don't have to go to the game to be a supporter/fan. Hopefully the new schedule will re-invigorate our cities interest.

All in all, the fans actually do a great job showing up, supporting and rallying when we are down. It is the media that ignores the Wings, and on a greater scale - hockey altogether.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems the local media wants to marginalize the Wings.Especially talk radio. All they ever do is point out problems with the NHL while glossing over problems with other pro sports. I also think they want to appeal to more black readers and listeners in Detroit that for the most part have little interest in hockey. Another major thing-gambling. It's my belief a lot of so-called sports fans have only one interest in certain sporting events & that is what they've bet on it. There isn't a lot of gambling on hockey compared to football,basketball or baseball.
Finally it's the fans too-in the last 10-15 years a lot people became Red Wing fans once they became Stanley Cup contenders. These folks aren't actually true hockey fans. They have no interest in local hockey or juniors or college. I've met many that would never consider going to an OHL game or to see local teams play unless their own kids were playing.They just want to dress up in their replica jerseys & go down to the JLA and leave halfway trhru the 3rd period of a one goal game to get a good seat at the bar. Like other fads they move on to the next " big thing".

(Message edited by Eric W on December 27, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that could be true eric but i remember as a kid before red wings mania, the joe was still pretty full....When prices were cheaper! That is the a-1 problem and it is a shame illitch dosent get it

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ He understands that with the baseball team though, which makes no sense. The baseball ticket prices have stayed relatively the same. I like going to Red Wings games, but I can afford to go to more tigers games, so I spend more at the copa, than at the joe. Although...maybe he is trying to do with JLA what he did with tiger stadium?

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that last 2 or 3 years Wings best in NHL regular season,, but come playoffs, they get Stonewalled with some Hot goalie, I E JS GUEGIRRE(SP)and CHOKE So until they break that and Actually get to the STANLEY CUP Finals,, People will be hesitant in their Support.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Is that why you follow the Lions so adamantly???? Is that why everyone follows the Lions so religiously????

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4827
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a typical sport fan's POV, hockey was, is , and will be B O R I N G. Therefore, they don't watch on TV or go to the games. It matters not how well any of the hockey teams are doing, as far as they're concerned.

Total turnoff...

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard
Your views are based on what? Take these examples:
Hockey is the only one of three other so-called major sports which operate on the clock that is played for its entire 60 minutes.
Football and basketball have numerous times when the clock is running and nothing is going on. The game moves faster and has far more drama the skills and physical exceed basketball or football .
The players are far better athletes.
Football- a lot of the players are overstuffed fat asses that can barely run.
Basketball-watching a 7ft 300 pounder bump his rear into another over & over until he's close enough to toss up a 3 ft shot. Try that in a hockey game & you'll be planted into the ice or boards.
In the playoffs in Overtime there's no scene with more drama-one shot will end it at anytime and it has to be a goal not half type score like a field goal kick. in football.
You have to know hockey though to appreciate it I'll concede that and there's an art to watching hockey to follow what is happening, But I believe I know sports well and Hockey is head & shoulders above these other games.
A play in football maybe lasts 5-6 second then you wait 30-35 seconds or more for another play wow isn't that exciting.
Each person has they're preferences but I'm partial to hockey-it's appeal is unique.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4943
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey to most Americans is like soccer played on ice. Not enough fan interest to make it a major, profitable spectator sport. And Canadians don't count, BTW. Who cares what they think or know?

Apparently, your unique hockey appeal is just that--way too unique.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only major sport that allows fighting.

Constant action.

Drama (overtime)

Yeah - this is way too unique!

Oh Yeah - Names you can't pronounce or have a hard time relating to.

Hangover from the Yzerman years etc.

People are having a hard time connecting with this team.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4944
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It matters not how good the team is if they're turned off on hockey, in general. They may want them to win but never ever go to a game. But the simple fact of sporting life is that most fans don't care an iota outside of a very few venues, and even in Detroit, the attendance has dropped significantly--even with a super team.

Dem's the breaks...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lions suck, they will always suck
i don't want to hear about how they suck
i could care less how they will suck next week.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Raptors started in Toronto they required Leaf season ticket holders to take Raptors tickets as part of their pkg's. With the Tigers cutting off full season pkg's this week, maybe they'll require Tiger fans to buy Wings tickets. Talk about a turnaround in a couple of years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.