Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through December 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 586
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Who ever advised you to go to grad school in A2......MSU would have had you making better choices.....but then one cannot go backwards.....I am still not clear about how late you stayed???? I am sure helping mothers who were worried about their children....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: ALWAYS had Blue in my heart...can remember listening to the OSU-M game on the radio when I was maybe 9-10...was living in Harper Wds...M had extension program at the Rackham Bldg. next to the DIA...did half of my degree there and the other half in two summers on campus.

In the Woods we attempted to serve our customers in every way possible.

Eastside61

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - for the sake of peace and in remembrance of C.H.E and the class of '36.......I am glad that you are BLUE! and traveling to the rackham bldg...and WSU you knew every hooker on third and John R......by first name, too! I didn;t go to WSU in the late 60's for its education courses......I used to roll down the window and do outreach to the 3rd./john R grad students who were enrolled in the u OF M program tooooooo....great times once again for an eastsider.....

Goblue

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: That's all true! S'eastern '59 went to Harper Hosp. nurses training after SE...I used to drop her off at the nurses dorm (circa '59-'62) on John R after the sub races at Belle Isle in my '56 Ford convertible with the top down...then drove back up John R to I-94 to head home...stopping at every light to jive with the hookers..."Hey boy...you wanna have some fun...(everybody laughing) How much that fun gonna cost me?...How much fun you wanna have?".....never had a thought of danger...it was all fun...the world changed in '67.

You are absolutely correct....great times on the eastside!

Eastside61

Post Number: 592
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - Try to describe that to your children....they will think that you are making it all up! IT did Happen!"Sup girl....you look so fine"

Goblue

Post Number: 740
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Today I can hardly believe it myself...what a great city we grew up in...what a tragedy that it became...I keep reading other threads some of which sound hopeful...I hope so...I'd like to go visit one of these days and be joyful for what our city is...rather than depressed because it looks like Berlin circa 1945.

Eastside61

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB = Dresden and hiroshima come to mind too......I will put your second round that you are buying in TC that tZENS is a class of 60 person...why he disappeared is still the unknown.....but uOFm alumni records will be interesting too......

Goblue

Post Number: 745
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Amen...Dresden and Hiroshima!

NO SOY! NO SOY! I have it in writing that YOU are buying for the house for the ENTIRE evening...of course, for Spartans that means nothing more than a couple of diet cokes...with straws!

Strange that he wasn't on the '59 swim team after being on the '58...do you have a '60 Navigator?

Eastside61

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Navigatorless.....no 60.....but i do get the first slow dances with sandy R and Sally j..........so I can remind them about YOU!"Innkeeper......my friend with the banana head gear on.....he keeps crying uncontrollably over in the corner because he didn't get the first dance......bring him another beer and a crooks cigar"

Eastside61

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - from the above thread....you will be in the Bay in no time ..."why it sounds like a gurgling Fontella......oh!! it is just GB swimming towards shore with his glow in the dark banana head helmet" At least his CROOKs cigar didn't go out......when he hit the water......he swims a lot like T Zens who used to swim for the TARS......

Goblue

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Not a bad idea...I'll find a classic...one of a kind...original...THE University of Michigan hockey helmet...will plan to wear it in TC! My fervent prayer is...Please God, don't let SJ turn out to be a Spartan. I'm pretty sure that SR went to Wayne State...at least for a year or two.

Oh...and I need some Drambouie to drip my ceegar into before drawing deeply.

Eastside61

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - SJ will not be affected by this leather helmet ploy....I hope she is green - I went to google earth and then to Ballduck and there was this woman who looked like an older SR....walking around the parking lot close to the tennis courts.....I wonder what she was looking for....??????

Goblue

Post Number: 753
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Beats the hell out of me...she must have dated a tennis player after me...she always did like the younger guys.

Eastside61

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You and A Arbury were arrested for racketeering right???

Goblue

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Wrong...it was all honest entrepreneurial activity...just a hard working businessman.

Eastside61

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The photo I have of you and A Arbury you both look good in the bright orange.......You used to balance the books at Fox Studio right????? Hum! and you and A Arbury were friends and in fact I think in the came class......hum! Your Ford was paid off when????

The profile with numbers looks stunning!

Goblue

Post Number: 765
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: As a matter of fact I did know AA...and yes, we were in the same class...a fine upstanding guy...for a tennis player...I think he went on to become an evangelist on TV...a fine christian man.

Eastside61

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - AA was a true evangelist......worked with the best - Oral, Jimmy Swaggert, Tammy baker, chuck colson when the Nixon admin was folding, and still looked good in bright colors....My bro BE roomed at MSU with AA older bro........Now that is the place that I learned a lot about college life while still hanging around the halls of DHS and weekends in E. Lansing....

Goblue

Post Number: 767
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You had an incredible advantage to campus life...I had to learn it "hands on"...so to speak.

Goblue

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: AHA! I have just discovered the now public copy of your discipline record at TAR-land...a compete file of the number of days you spent sitting on the bench outside of Principal Wolf's office awaiting your due punishment....however, it appears that you were granted a pardon out of consideration for your esteemed father. Some guys had all of the luck!

Eastside61

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Actual claim to fame....from one of the BEST esteemed Educators, that's right!, harold hammond.....my counselor....Fall of 1960....MSU and WMU applications in hand.....in his office....ask for his recommendation which was part of the app process back in the day....and he says - NO WAY....he felt that he could not extended his clout to assist me in my post secondary quest to better myself....maybe JrV is actually harold hammon....counselor in 301 study hall at DHS.....MSU Student number arrived that December with out his input on the app....

Talking about waiting for Irv W.....I was a sophomore and pulled a classic caper in the lunch room one fall lunch hour and unfortunately was captured by Mr. Tubbs (drafting tchr) and within one day of the caper I was informed that I would not be allowed in the LR and would need to walk home to Mapleridge for lunch until June.....I know your history of disruptive behavior is legendary both in and out side of school....

Goblue

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You are incorrect...I was in charge of leading the lunch hour student bible study that was held in Mr. Wolf's outer office. If you had been in attendance you would not have had to walk three blocks to get lunch...or to drink a six-pack in your car down the street!

Harold Hammond was also my counselor...not the sharpest tack on the board...had to meet with him, my mother and a history teacher (her name escapes me) regarding a discipline issue...I was framed!...they all started to chew my ass out...I walked away down the hall and out the door with the statement that "I don't need this shit!"...the next meeting was with my father and an ass't principal named Diekoff (sp?) who was likely a WWII Nazi-in-hiding...he shook his finger in my face and told me that, "You'll never be anything but a bum!"...the mf almost lost his finger! On the way out my father made the statement, "You were right...but you have to learn to shut that GD mouth!" I'm still tryin'! When I finished my doc I was going to go back and shake my finger in his face and tell him, "Its doctor bum...asshole!"...but, he had already died.

Eastside61

Post Number: 621
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Must be a Columbus neighborhood thing for the both of us...how sad that I still remember HH in 301 or whatever! Back to the lunchroom.....tied all the shade cords to various plants on the window sills......they were all linked and with one snap....well they all went up.....plants flying...dirt flying and Donovan Tubbs moving me towards the office.....It was a much classier deal than just leaving glass milk bottle on someone's chair to pull out and wait for the crash...Oh well it was off to college two years later and eventually the Doctor tag too......we done good! You and I had dad's that most of the time had our back covered....Charlie would remind me "Just don't bring the police home",,,,,

Goblue

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah, maybe...something in the water on the eastside. High school bored the hell out of me...I was highly frustrated at the assembly line process...and while there were many superb teachers there were more than a few incompetents too...when I encountered them I had no tolerance...I remember a professional friend telling me one time that I needed to learn to "suffer fools". I couldn't at Denby...I couldn't when I was working...I still can't...and see no reason to do so. Once my dream of Annapolis evaporated I just drifted through...playing hockey...passing out bibles at the Balduck parking lot at night...doing my best to make the eastside a better place.

You're right...a whole lot of us done good...the three E brothers, at least two other of my Columbus classmates ended up with docs, Brink...the list goes on and on...amazing the achievement from those eastside schools...I've often said we were surrounded...parents, teachers, scout leaders, church leaders, neighbors...hell there was no place to seriously break out...and Lord knows I tried.

My old man was a good guy too...he struggled with his own personal demons...but you're right...he kept my back covered...and I knew better than to bring the police home.

Eastside61

Post Number: 626
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Once again another chapter or part of a chapter or theme for the book....we need to try to get the CSI perspective as part of the book.......We will only sell copies to Arab boy and JrV at FULL price...no discount to those westsider fools......maybe we can start a movement.....like the Gideon bible....and book in every home or vacant lot on the eastside.....

Goblue

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I am MOST anxious to hear the CSI perspective...most certainly these fine ladies will add a more polished perspective to the discourse.

Eastside61

Post Number: 629
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - good insight though from their perspective.......they will tell us what dorks we were at times......

Goblue

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well now...I'm not certain that I would go that far...at least not from a personal perspective...besides...I have certainly been called far worse...but never by better!

Eastside61

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - It is so good to see that by talking about DENBY we can bring out anger and other hostility......those two things are definite signs that those individuals grew up on the westside for sure!
GO TARS - GO DENBY - Hurray for HEILMANN.........

Goblue

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We TARS always did piss people off...e.g. the Pershing hostilities, the S'Eastern angst (although you managed to alleviate that somewhat), that dumb fu-k history teacher, HH, Tubbs...the list goes on and on. Geez, just had a thought...maybe this guy is Art D.'s son or something like that...or SH's ex-husband...or...my ex posing as what she ain't! I'll bet that's it...the latter...the writing sort of had some female intonations to it.