Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through November 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacque Jones? Really? Hhmm. Gotta ponder that one, before I impulsively jump off and say something stupid.
I'll give it some thought, and then report back with something stupid.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like it's a done deal. This is a perfect fit, with Jone's contract expiring after 2008, but $5.5 million for a guy who's power has dropped off seems like a lot. I would think he would platoon with Thames/Rayburn.

Ravine

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS a Done Deal:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_ releases/press_release.jsp?ymd =20071112&content_id=2298636&v key=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He had some good numbers in 2006, last year was pretty mediocre

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A left-handed bat, and an upgrade over C-Mo

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 502
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on what I've seen this month, we seem set at all positions except pitching.

How can one not love a team with Guillen, Polanco, Renteria, Granderson, Maggs, Pudge and Sheff as a DH? p.s. I do like Inge as well.

Inge can bat 9th and hit .250 and hit 15 HRs and I have no qualms.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Jones has agreed to a contract.

I guess Kenny Rogers will be the last to agree (hope it happens soon) and Dombrowski can take the rest of Nov. and Dec. off.

I don't expect any more trades although Cordero (Brewers) might be nice.

401don

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey kids the rollercoaster is back for another exciting season! (Although this one is more scarey than the ones at Cedar Point.)

Honestly, who among us thought when Todd pitched that last game at Tiger Stadium 9 years ago he would be our closer in 2008?

Ravine

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jones acquisition looks O.K. to me. If we had given up a player who had real value to the Tigers, I might not feel O.K. about it, but we didn't do that. Infante has been a handy guy to have around, but the fact is that there is nothing about him that is particularly special, nothing that will cause us to later say, "Man, we sure could use Infante right now." Also, he is at an age, and a point in his career, where he needs a chance to play more, and if he gets that, he will either "shit or get off the pot." Or, now as a Cub, he will continue to play the part-time utility infielder role; who knows? Sometimes, players like that stretch out careers of remarkable length, without ever holding down a full-time spot. (Those players are usually left-handed, however.)
Jones really "fell off," this season. I don't know why that happened, but at 32, we can't blame the aging process. But, it happens, sometimes, that a guy just has a crappy season, and there isn't anything really wrong with him, and in those cases, it seems to me that a change of scenery almost has to be a good thing. The Cubs have high hopes for OF Felix Pie (pronounced "P-A,") and never reaped any big reward out of signing Jones as a free agent. Jones isn't a great hitter, just a pretty good hitter. He is, however, a very good outfielder, and even if the plan is to mix him with Thames and/or Raburn in LF, the guy is quite capable of stepping into CF if you want to give Granderson a day off, or if (God forbid) Curtis got hurt. One really big plus here is that Jones, getting whatever amount of AB against lefties (I don't have that stat handy,) hit .295 against them in 2007. BIG selling point.
My bottom line: This COULD be a case of the Tigers obtaining a guy who has, just recently, reached the "washed up" point. I kinda doubt that, but even if it's true, we didn't give up anyone vital to get him, and his contract isn't god-awful expensive, so I actually believe that this trade has a chance to be later regarded as a helluva fine move by DD.
DD is never going to top the "dumb-fuck has-been now-imprisoned psycho in exchange for Placido Polanco" move, however. That one even tops the pre-DD Greg Gohr for Damion Easley swindle.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm liking the double Jones pick-ups today as well.

Jacques will do fine if nothing else provide some depth in the OF as well as a servicable bat. Infante really never stood out in our line-up despite given a handful of chances to shine. He was never a cancer but he was never an outgoing fan favorite either. Omar is one of those servicable players that will make a nice salary playing ball during his career but I wouldn't exactly be dusting off any plaque space for him at Cooperstown anytime soon. I wish him well.

Todd Jones on the other hand was a person I think Dombrowski needed to sign immediately, especially with the Zumaya incident. If this had lingered any longer it wouldn't have surprised me to see Jones signing with someone else. He's still a servicable releiver. His $7 million dollar payday is what I would've expected for him to make; it's fair. He's been a good stabilizing veteran in that bullpen.

Ahh... November and we're still talking baseball! Who says we're not a baseball town!?!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jones hit something over .400 down the stretch for the Cubs as well.

Bobj

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was little to give up (Infante) to get Jones and although Todd Jones can be a bit scary, he does get the job done.

Both are stop gaps we got for low prices.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6446
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Infante was a daily player I'd say we gave up too much. Granted I don't see Jacques Jones being an everyday player either but he does bat from the left side and has some power. I still think we have enough versatility in that infield where if we had to, we could still juggle the infield positions around; we've almost got a surplus.

Bobj

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a side note, maybe Infante will get a shot at being a regular, Leyland wouldn't give him that shot.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6450
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that Leyland was against giving Infante a shot here but seriously who was he going to beat out on the infield for a starting position? He definitely wasn't going to beat out the likes of Polanco or Guillen because of their bats and he wasn't going to beat out Inge because of his defense. Infante at best here was a platoon player to which I thought he did a fair job.

401don

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that Boros is up to his old tricks, trying to shop the Tigers against themselves in the Rogers negotiations. Isn't that what they say he did with Magglio and that the Tigers overpaid at the time? Meanwhile A-Rod has bypassed Boros and contacted the Yankees directly about coming back. He's even willing to eat the $21 million of his salary that the Rangers were paying, and the Yankees lost once he opted out. I'm sure Dombrowski is shopping elsewhere by now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6453
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the same ol' game that Boras plays everywhere. I'm sure Dave Dombrowski's already hip to it- as we all are. Scott Boras HAS to shop his client around. Not only does it pad his wallet but it also gives other prospective clients of his a snooty sense of importance.

401don

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the freep, the Tigers are looking at Livan Hernandez. This guy is a number 3-4 starter at best. Hopefully it's only as a last resort because, when healthy, Kenny Rogers is still a front of the line guy.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 943
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One nice thing about Hernandez is that he eats up a lot of innings. He's had 200+ innings almost ever year he's been in MLB.

Ravine

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he's been a workhorse, but I'm with 401don, on this one; "only as a last resort" is yeah'bout how I see it, too.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This guy is a number 3-4 starter at best.

What's wrong with picking up a 3-4 starter via free agency? It all depends on the price, folks.

Ravine

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zeph, you have a point, there. Sometimes a team might look at a free agent who isn't in a position to expect a long, megabucks contract, and offer him a more modest deal, perhaps a deal with relatively large "incentive" clauses which kick in if the guy turns in a helluva performance. In this case, at the very least, the Tigers would have a "3-4 starter" who normally pitches lots of innings, and who might come away with a good year, given the fact that most of the AL batters don't have any experience with facing him.
Truthfully, though, I still don't really want him.

401don

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Zephyr. The problem is you used to get a 3-4 guy for 3-4 million per season. Now those guys are getting 7 or 8 and they want a three year deal. If you can get a Kenny Rogers, at the end of his career but still a quality pitcher, for about 10 million on a one year contract, it's a far better choice.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I was eating dinner, ESPN reported that Kenny Rogers fired Scott Boras. Wonder if this will have an impact on anything.

Ravine

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOD I hope that story is true.

401don

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not been a good week for Boras if that's true. He had to eat a little crow with A-Rod also. But then again, what's the commission on $275 Million?

Ravine

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!! It IS true!!http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ news/article.jsp?ymd=20071116& content_id=2302080&vkey=news_d et&fext=.jsp&c_id=det
I'm delighted. I hate that guy. The people who think of Boras as The Great Satan Of Sports may be exaggerating, but only a little bit.

Bobj

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting turn - I bet Rogers re signs with the Tigers before Thanksgiving

Ravine

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj: Yep.
Imagined phone call:
Scott? Hey, it's Kenny. Y'know, I've been thinking, and y'know, I told you that I wanted to re-sign with the Tigers, and next thing I know, you're out there talking about looking at offers from other teams, and shit, now Dombrowski's feeling like he's gotta cover his own ass, so he's looking at other guys, and the whole thing is fucked up, all because my agent, who's supposed to be working for me, can't just do what the fuck I told him to do and work out a deal with the Tigers. So, y'know what, Scott? You're fired. I can fuck things up by myself, if I want to, so why the hell should I pay you to do it? Awright, man, see ya. Yeah. O.K.; bye.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6456
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay fine, SOMEtimes Scott Boras can work the crowds and get you top dollar by shopping your services around but then there are certain times like this that you wonder... is he REALLY worth what someone is paying him in commission? Does anyone know what his commission rate is? And quite honestly, isn't it a better deal for a guy like Kenny Rogers- who knows where he wants to be (and the team wants him here) to hire a NEW agent who would be willing to take less of a cut?

It's not like Scott Boras is the only sports agent out there- he just seems to be the most vocal at times- which can work for and against him. In this instance with Kenny, it seems to be a negative.