Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » So ends 2007 for the Lions...... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little promise, a lot of resignation. Kitna's 10-6 prediction looked good for a while, but then it was back to same old, same old.

Anyone see any promise at all for the future?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 977
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions are pathetic. They will suck as long as Millen is in charge

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no hope

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I see no promise in a team that goes 6-2 in the first half of the season and 1-7 in the second half. I think the Lions do nothing and go nowhere as long as the Fords own the team. They have been incapable of making good personnel decisions since day one with a string of bad GMs, horrible coaches and poor draft picks. The best thing that could happen to football in Detroit is to have the Fords sell the franchise to someone who knows how to run a football organization.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4679
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The best thing that could happen to football in Detroit is to have the Fords sell the franchise to someone who knows how to run a football organization.

The proceeds of ever selling the Packers would go to the Brown County VFW post. Because a VFW post technically owns the Packers, maybe they could run things better than the Fords. Heh, heh!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray36- I don't want to sound discouraged, but I think you will replace Chief Paresi, Tarkanian will return to UNLV and jjaba will be the next Pope all before that 10-6 record becomes a reality.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tark and Jjaba are possibles, but I turned down the Northtown job. :-)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wake me up when the Lions wake up.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been 51 years since a championship and 12 or 13 years since the last playoff game. So, you might as well do your Rip Van Winkle. Millens record 31W - 81L. Keep buying those tickets and selling out those games making Ford rich.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3511
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions are dysfunctional, coaches,GM's, players change - the result is the same

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hate the "stop buying the tickets" argument. The state of Michigan is a big state and there are only 8 NFL games held here. No matter what somebody is going to go to those games. Even if the other teams fans fill the place, which has happened twice, it wont make a difference. We as Lions fans are screwed because Billy jr. seems just as incompetent. "don't forget it was he who snagged mr 31-81

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd mentioned above, "They will suck as long as Millen is in charge".
I disagree, they will suck as long as Ford owns the team. They sucked every year, minus a few, since Ford has owned the team. Russ Thomas, Matt Millen, it doesnt really matter.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was reported earlier today...

Leo's fire Mike Martz!...what will work for the Lions...obviously the so-called 'West Coast offensed' didn't work, the greatest show on turf didn't work...WHAT'S NEXT...

Why don't we bring back Wayno and his 'Great Lakes Offense'...that's the last Offense the Lions worked affectively.

I don't like this...Martz will be missed!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=3177253

The Detroit Lions have fired offensive coordinator Mike Martz and promoted offensive line coach Jim Colleto and wide receivers coach Kippy Brown to run the offense in his place, a source in the organization told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Colleto will be named offensive coordinator and remain as the offensive line coach, while Brown is being promoted to assistant head coach and passing game coordinator, and will also serve as running backs coach.

Martz confirmed his firing to the Detroit Free Press.

"We fell short of what we wanted to do offensively, and I regret that," he told the newspaper.

In other changes, the Lions promoted Shawn Jefferson from offensive assistant to wide receivers coach and fired Martz's son, Tim Martz, as an offensive assistant.

On Sunday, after their season ended with a loss to the Green Bay Packers, members of the Lions offense said the blame should be on them.

"You can keep changing coaches, but every time you change them that's a new system,'' said quarterback Jon Kitna. "The reality is, the games that we lost, the majority, the times that things didn't go right, it was self-inflicted stuff.

"It wasn't a coaching thing where you were outcoached or they weren't putting you in a position to be successful. There were plays to be made, and we didn't make them for whatever reason that is.''

However, Martz is not expected to be out of work for long. According to media reports, the San Francisco 49ers will seek him out as a replacement for current offensive coordinator Jim Hostler.

Martz led the St. Louis Rams to the playoffs in four of his five full seasons as a head coach, including a Super Bowl after the 2001 season, and helped the franchise win the 2000 Super Bowl as offensive coordinator. The Rams went 51-29 in the regular season and 54-33 overall during his five full seasons as coach.

blksoul_atcha!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was never going to work, a hard headed defensive head coach and a hard headed offensive coordinator. They both wanted to be in charge. I have a feeling there was little communication between the two.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't like this...Martz will be missed!"

I'm sorry, Martz may not be the problem, but no coach on an under .500 team is ever missed.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6795
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in agreement with Chitaku in regards to not buying the tickets the Lions games here in this regard.

As much as we complain about how dismal the Lions teams are, they're still our team and they are located here in Detroit. Imagine this scenario if you will-- the attendance drops so pitifully down at Ford Field that the Ford family does end up selling the team AND the new owners suddenly want to move it to some other part of the country (look at the Rams, Browns and other professional sports franchises where teams up and move to a different location because of new ownership). Would we disgruntled fans be that much more happier knowing the team does well but in a different uniform and in a different city?

I think we need to be careful in what we wish for in asking the Fords to sell the team. I would much rather see a group of local people pool up enough money to make a pitch to the Fords to buy the team and then revamp it into a winner.

Yeah, I still cheer for the Lions because they are our very own but so are many of the other people that post here on this thread as well. We've been thoroughly disgusted by the team in so many ways and yet week after week during the season, we'll still peek in on them, take a look at a box score, look at the headlines or whatever as we fans are apt to do.

We should just hope the Lions improve somehow someway- whether it's the Fords selling the team, a new GM, a new QB, a new RB, a new WR... but I'd also like to think of a realistic way of doing it as well as opposed to just grousing about it.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chitaku and smog, Your attitude is exactly why you will never see a super bowl team here. It's been so long ago that a decent team was here, that you have resolved yourselves to except mediocrity and below. A new owner would never move from Detroit, because they know they can sell out every game with a lousy team and a few promises. Boycott the games, 8 games empty and maybe Ford will sell. A new owner will never sell or move because of the screwed up fan base we have here. You support a team that hasn't even been in one playoff game in 12 or 13 years and you keep buying tickets. Like DUH! An owner like Ilitch is what we need, not fans that support this piece of shit team. Don't be afraid the team will move with a new owner, its not going to happen. Ford will never sell this cash cow until we stop buying tickets and supporting this team. The lyins' are one of the top profit making teams in the NFL.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"An owner like Ilitch is what we need ..."

If I here this nonsense one more time. So what? Ilitch was an idiot the first 20 years he owned the Tigers and suddenly he saw the light? It's all about finding the right GM. Ford needs to get a search team to put feelers out there and find out the best experienced GM that may be available and then offer whatever amount it takes to sign him.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'll rescind the Ilitch thing. What we need is a new owner plus more. But, if you keep supporting the shit lyin's, resolve yourselves to just that, a shit team.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4699
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Boycott the games, 8 games empty and maybe Ford will sell.

YAWN!

Oh, yeah! That'll work... NOT.

Last time I checked, the Green Bay Packers had 68,000 on their waiting list for season tickets. One of those eight home games would be packed with Packer fans in Detroit every year. Chicago Bears fans would probably do likewise--helping to fill up Ford Field for at least two of those eight home games.

Boycott! Bring it on. Right...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 02, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 6797
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for blaming the fan base for the team's ills, stotter. I suppose according to your logic, successful teams do amazingly well because the fans are amazingly and blindly supportive.

Look at the logic and proven track record of what 401don suggested- we need a proven leader in the GM position. It makes sense and has been proven with other teams in the NFL.

Anyone's call to the Fords to sell is at best in vain. Trade positions with old man Ford and would you sell the team? If there is also a new owner out there that will purchase the team years from now, what is to guarantee he won't move it to a city with a much more viable and loyal fan base? Anyone care to imagine a new LA team and no NFL team here in Detroit? As a fan, I'd much rather support our team here than have no team at all.

And there's no denying that anyone that posts on this thread is a fan of the Honolulu blue & silver either. We care... admit it.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to wonder if the Lions actually fired Mike Martz or if he removed himself from duty. I often thought that it appeared awkward with Martz and Marinelli on the side lines.

From day one, it seemed to be no chemistry between the two. Marinelli coming from a defensive minded program and Martz coming from a less conventional offense...it just seemed like a bad fit....Martz offense was explosive...and Kitna's career was rejuvenated because of it. I'm sure Martz would have ran the ball if he had to, but the point of the matter is, the Lions defense rarely allowed the offense on the field. And to be sure, Kevin Jones, is not a great runner. He is at best a second string running back. I wonder why Martz choose to pass first? Remember at St.Louis he had Marshall Fault. Fault had great numbers under the same system. He also had a similar quarterback named Kurt Warner...aging and rejuvenated because of the offense style of Martz.

I just wish that Matt Millen could have hired Martz as a player personnel assistance along with being the head coach...instead we get Marinelli, and Millen calling the shots and firing coaches each year? Is anybody excited about that!__go figure!

I will always be a fan of Martz, and was very excited and nervous(because I knew Martz's stay would be temporary at best, regardless of the situation), but at the same time understood under his tutelage the Lions would be an explosive team, unlike the past few years of the 'wet toast' offense.

Matt Millen and Marinelli should be responsible for this disaster. How can these guys continue to call the shots for the Lions. I just don't understand.

As far as not supporting the Lions, I think that is foolish. I admire the natural athlete...I don't care if the Lions are 1-15, if I had the money to go to each game, I would not hesitate to go. I'm a Sports fan first, and to be able to go enjoy a day of professional athlete's, regulars of how they match up, is the ultimate sports fans dream.

LONG LIVE THE LEO'S!

blacksoul_atcha!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6801
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, I'd have to heave a heftier chunk of the responsibility over to Matt Millen for the state of affairs. He's had a much longer tenure here than Marinelli and is responsible for the talent that Marinelli coaches. While I'm sure Marinelli, Martz and the other coaches have input as to the draft- the buck still stops with Matt Millen.

Regardless of who the coach is, I think they've been hamstrung by the level of talent we have here for the last few years. We've got some very bright spots with regards to talent but just not enough of it to nudge us into the elite. It's like outfitting a premier chef in the kitchen with lousy ingredients and expecting them to serve up a gourmet meal.

Personally I've been more disgusted with the demeanor of Matt Millen over the last few years than I've been with the players & coaching staff. I would hope that one day that Matt Millen can look himself in the mirror, think about his performance here, admit his failure, dismiss himself and wish the Lions well.

And yes, I say that as a devoted Lions fan.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long live John Russell Thomas!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booooooooo

i'm sick of them...i hate ford.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.