Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through December 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha good one. but no because it could be a car accident, fire alarm, but yes it Still could be a fire.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or We "still" have to go

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I googled "still alarm" and apparently there was a 1930 movie named "The Still Alarm." Here is the synopsis from The New York Times.
quote:

Review Summary

Written by George S. Kaufman for a Broadway revue, The Still Alarm concerns two businessmen (one of whom is played by Clifton Webb) who are sharing a hotel room. They are a fairly placid duo, concentrating on whatever matter is at hand without getting duly excited. This becomes quite clear when they discover that smoke is coming into their room and that the hotel's alarm bells are ringing furiously. Rather than panic, they treat this as if it were an everyday occurrence and begin making preparations for dealing with the emergency without a hint of panic. Soon, a group of firemen (including Fred Allen) nonchalantly make their way into the room, ready to evacuate the proceedings if necessary, but not in too great a hurry -- one of the firemen has even brought his violin along and so everyone pulls chairs together and listens to an impromptu recital, even as the fire rages stronger and fiercer on all sides. ~ Craig Butler, All Movie Guide
http://movies.nytimes.com/movi e/153515/The-Still-Alarm/overv iew

Gotta say, I always bring a tool into a fire, but it's never a violin.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to think of a great pun line involving Nero and fiddles, but it's late and the brain is numb.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please be advised due to no heat in some stations some fires will take longer to be put out so the brothers can get warm. Anyone see the report on the news about these stations being without heat and the city not working on them until they really needed it.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it and it's just sad! Dad used to repair what needed doing at his houses. The guys got tired of waiting for things to get done, so they just did it themselves. No heat is a horrible situation, specially when the guys are wet and it's cold out. Not to mention the equipment can't thaw out. This is a disservice to the citizens of the city. If the lines are frozen, they can't fight the fires. Again, just sad.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stay away for a few days and this
turns into auditions for "Americas Corniest
Comics".
Drifterlee: Found records for three Cooney's.
Martin joined the D.F.D. on 5/5/1890. Retired on 6/15/1917 with the rank of
Battalion Chief.
Edward Nicholas Cooney joined
on 5/19/17 retired on 8/15/41
retired on 8/15/41 as Motor Engine Operator.
Edward Paul Cooney joined on
11/18/57 retired on 6/29/89
as a F.E.O. Both Edwards are
pictured in Cheryl's book.
Thanks to Cheryl,Richard and Don for
helping gather this info.
DetroitSignal: Prof. Harold Hill is my role
model. Send a check and when it
clears you will receive a
"Certificate of Fire Dispatch
Proficiency". Send cash and you
graduate "Cum Laude."
Lansingfire: An Auto accident would not be a
"Still' but a Special Alarm.
Specials are Fire Department Respons-
abilities other than fires.If the
car was on fire with no one trapped
it would be a "STILL". If some one
is trapped in the wreck with no
fire it would be a "Special".
RAY: Your Nero comment reminded me of an editorial cartoon in the "FREEP" years back.
Coleman Young ( dressed as Nero) "Fiddling" with the Rencen burning in the background.

Dfd

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the heat back on?!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back to the pull boxes, i knew i was growing up when i could reach the box at pierson & cambridge. never could pass that without touching it even if someone had to lift me up.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As along as all you did was touch and not pull.
The Box was 5939.

Dfd

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tony, I was just wondering what the box number was. In Cincinnati, if the second number was a 9, it was a high life hazard. ie box 1942 was Christ Hospital. Before the boxes were taken down(and false alarms were way up), CFD cut box alarm responses to 1 engine. The exceptions were the "9" boxes.
This was Eng 8s joker stand.

CFD Eng 8 joker stand

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit used preliminary digits before the
box number for exact locations.Box 42 was the
general location of St.Antoine&Monroe.3 on 42
was St.Mary School.4on42 was the old Detroit
General Hospital.Pulled M.F.A.were a problem
here also.If a box was pulled 1E.& 1T.would respond "EASY".If it was followed with a call
the box would be dispatched.Detroit also used
Dummy Boxes for high M.F.A. areas.The box was
removed,but the number was kept for dispatch.
My favorite was Box 9447,the Barrett Bridge
over the Ford Freeway.Kids used the bridge to
cross over the freeway to get to school and
back home.Every day at 07:50 and at 15:10
the box would come in.Good photo of E.8.
Does the tape run vertically ?

Dfd

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It ran horizontally, across the table and down through a conduit into the basement. Same with the teletype.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Turkey day everyone. hope everyone has a safe day.

Dfd

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you sir! Hope it was relatively quiet up there.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you out of town folks. D.F.D.made a
fantastic rescue of two children from a dwelling.
Run came in as a dwelling on Van Dyke at Mack.
On arrival a dwelling going children trapped
in upper bed room.Lt.and two FF.'s entered
without a line.Got the kids,passed them off to
E.M.S. . C.P.R.started.Both at Childrens Hospital.Bad shape .They will make it.
Try going to Click on Detroit.com for video.

Dfd

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo!

Dfd

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, does anyone have pictures of firehouses decorated for Christmas, or Santa on a rig?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our elation didn't last.Tonight a fire
in an occupied dwelling. One child D.O.A.
Two children and one adult critical.

Dfd

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry man....was your company there?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get this man a citation.

quote:

Resident chases arson suspect back into burning building

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071201/M ETRO/712010409/1409/METRO

Lansingfire

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great. There are a lot of people who turn others in as well. They just don't chase them down. Who knows what ever happens to those people. Also, Inj FF yesterday at a fire on Calvert (poss Lad 28) any word on him?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D. I am not a Firefighter.Sorry
if I gave that impression.I
am a "BUFF" and amateur historian.
Ffdfd :I heard the Arson Squad and Cops
had a delayed response.The citizens
threw the guy in the Chiefs car and
sat on him all the way to the Police
Station.I don't know if it's true.
You know how these stories are embellished.
Lansingfire : The man from Sq.5 is O.K.minor
injuries.
Busy around here yesterday. Detroit
Highland Park,Hamtramack and Dearborn had
working fires.Grand Rapids on the west side of
the state reported a second alarm.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.viewimages.com/Sear ch.aspx?mid=2959892&epmid=1&pa rtner=Google

Found this photo while searching the good ole internet thought some of you might find it interesting.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me if there ever was/why isn't there a squad in the 7th Batt? Sd 4 was at a fire today and Sq 2 had to go all the way over there for a false alarm.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansing Yes Squad 8 ran with Engine 37 at Dix and Central.
Squads 8 and 9 were organized in March 1972.
Sq 9 ran with Engine 32 at E.Jefferson and Hart. Both companies were disbanded in Jan 1978

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit ran 9 Sqds. 3 were eliminated.Sq.8
ran with E.37 Central and Dix.Sq.9 ran with
E.32 Jefferson and Hart.Sq.1 was eliminated.
Sq.7 became Sq.1.SQ.1 with E.59 at Southfield
& Curtis. Sq.2 Cass & Alexandrine. Sq.3 E.Gr.Blvd
& Moran. Sq.4 W.Gr.Blvd.and Cobb.Sq.5 Oakman & Ewald Circle. Sq.6 at Whittier and Lakepointe.
Don't mention this to Sq.4. They don't know about
the other 5.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, Here's a website from Houston Fire. They have live dispatch as well. But this is an incident page. Any way Detroit could do this?

http://cbtcws.cityofhouston.go v/ActiveIncidents/HFDIncidents .aspx

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erich : D.F.D. dose have run summaries.
They are not accessable to the
general public. A code from Police,
Fire or E.M.S. must be entered for
access. Thanks for the link.It was
interesting.

Dfd

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you all see the thread about google maps? If you click on street view, it takes you to the street(in front of a firehouse).