Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through December 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - we need for J -boy to draw a human figure and then ST and Eastside here could do some further CSI into his emotional disturbances......NO STICK FIGURES "J"...that is a sign of being evasive and we don't want that one! I think it is great that DYes is now doing internet therapy at NO COST ........The triple T program has been born.......TAR Therapeutic Treatment....maybe we can set up in the old Alpha's site?????

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm...you do the therapy and I'll do the electric cattle prod in the ass...now that's REAL behavior mod!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still looking for a Denby student from the late 50's/early 50's named John Romine. If anyone knows him, please let me know.

Eastside61

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65 - I remember John Romine......If my memory is correct he was in the 1960's class....but moved just before his graduation.....maybe we can blame "WHITE FLIGHT" on him and his family....ha ha....I have some Navigators and will check and GB who is the historian for the whole eastside might be source to tap into ....he is in rehab right now but will be out later this week...He is undergoing an INTERVENTION called the 3 T program....TARS Therapeutic Treatment. I truly hope he benefits from it this time......but age is a factor in it being effective...

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Denby...............hmmmmmm.a clue to my ID.(who cares?)........class of '70........I grew up with the Garrisi kids on Eastwod and know that Mr. G taught chemistry at Denby before transferring to some other school.

Eastside61

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7/Kid; I moved from Eastwood in 1957 over to Mapleridge and Salter area.....Kissed DHS goodbye in Jan '61.......and headed to MSU and other places after college....but Eastwood/Mapleridge/Denby and the whole eastside scene was a total experience.....

Goblue

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65: I just checked the '59 Navigator...there was an Aaron Romine in the June class. He sort of looks familiar but I can't say that I knew him...sorry.

7&K: I thought so...you're 11 years younger...amazing how in that short period of time the east side began to change...after it had been consistent for decades. My folks moved from Fordham-Celestine in '71. Most of the old neighbors were already gone...kids were starting to hassle all of the old folks in the 'hood...it wasn't what they had all known since 1935. I was already gone...moved to Kalamazoo in '69 as the first of many job related moves.

ES continues to ramble thought wise...pay no attention to him...its all the result of his misspent youth...he's harmless and at times quite amusing. An old friend named SH says he was the same in high school.

Eastside61

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO all except GB - the truth shall set you free......Actually GB was supposed to grad from Cooley HS in '59.....lived on 13298 Buenavista at the corner of Hubbell.....he has been an usher at Cobo since 1963.......section 101.......

Goblue

Post Number: 801
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: ACTUALLY...I dated a Cooley girl at one point...met her at our summer cottage. AND...the only time I was an usher was at The Big House...as a BSA 706. They were choosy about who was admitted...even then!

Goblue

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Free at last...free at least...thank God Almighty...free at last!

Eastside61

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - You would have loved to have been at SEHS in 1968........rockin good time and a real eye opener......but being an eastsider and from an educator home......it was not a cultural shock....

Goblue

Post Number: 817
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I was at SEHS in '58-'59...a bunch of assholes...they were all pissed because I "stole one of their girls"...I shoulda let 'em win the fight!

YOU'D have loved to have been part of Warren Wds. in the '60's...professionally it was the pinnacle of my career...and recreationally...it was an absolute candy store.

Eastside61

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I am sure that the after school curriculum that you sponsored with all the room mothers involved a lot of recreational type activities.

Back to SE - the 58 and 59 group were long gone by the time that I danced through the door in the fall of 66.....although the Ginormous Greek church was located right next to Foch JHS....and I am sure that your little greek girl sought some type of sanctuary in the church after she went down to or went down at the foot of Lakewood where you took all first dates...

Goblue

Post Number: 823
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I never did apologize for bumping into your car at Lakewood...thought the car was empty until you and SH popped your heads up.

Eastside61

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Lakewood....the Gar Wood mansion......GPPark......Marin e Hospital.....and SR carving your initials on trees in all of those areas is legendary

Goblue

Post Number: 827
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'll bet you and SH had the backseat bronzed for posterity...and that its still at the foot of Lakewood.

Eastside61

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - It is in the canal off of harbor Island and scripps......

Eastside61

Post Number: 663
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Just picked up a postcard on E bay that shows the Det River and the foot of lakewood - very nice and I should send it to you as you remember the White Ford Era.......and another PC that shows a park dedication sign right down by the river to the guy in the White Ford.....kinda lone ranger stuff...could it mean that you and tonto were together at the foot of lakewood...?????? I an troubled by this revelation! What would father Banana Head say about this information.....he would not respond to my phone calls and I was told that he was busy feed his horse Scout...hummmmm!

Goblue

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No pics were taken...unless somebody on the damn Bob-Lo boat had a long range lens...interesting thing about that white Ford...there was more room in the front seat (bench) than in the back because of the convertible.

Eastside61

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - you tried both the front and back.....bench seating and no seat belts....what a romantic concept....no wonder there was a decrease in teenage births when seat belts and bucket seats came into there own...........good for you for trying both seats on the same date????? I think Jjaba was shook up enough and he will pick us up at DTW in July......

Goblue

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Be nice to poor Jjaba...he didn't have the advantages of an Eastside youth like us...at least he got to know...and likely got close to Eastsiders at Cass Tech.

Eastside61

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - ask Jjaba since he is a WMU person.....if he wants an autographed copy of the Eastside History.....we will help him get in the line early for the book signing....

Goblue

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think we just sold the first copy...I hope our advance is in the mail...of course, as a fellow Bronco he's probably gonna ask for a freebie!

Eastside61

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - typical of a westsider with no class.....I wonder how he got into CTech.......????? I wonder if he is still working at the Robert Hall store at 7 and Gratiot......

Goblue

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nope...professor...I think at MSU-Detroit extension...he let me know that they're planning to rescind your degree for non-payment of your final tuition bill...plus your dissertation was never defended. Maybe you should ask him to put in a good word for you.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba did go to Belle Isle for Senior Skip Day at Cass Tech., 1959. An Italian girlfriend from the Eastside showed jjaba how to paddle our canoe through the woods. If you ever see Georgia Guccione, tell her hi. It was a wonderful afternoon.

jjaba, Proudly Westside on the Dexter Bus.

Goblue

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: I think Georgia's daddy was a major head in the Detroit family...glad all you did was paddle her canoe.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5778
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All's she told jjaba was that Daddy was a butcher. Oy veyesmere, the Eastside!
jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5779
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that he worked nights.
jjaba, connecting the dots.

Goblue

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Close call for Jjaba...that was Eastside lingo for "family torpedo"...sure glad you stayed in that canoe...hard to do much more than paddle in one of those things. Really too bad that Jjaba didn't come to the Eastside more often while attending Eastside Cass Tech...could have introduced Jjaba to S'Eastern '59...she could have converted Jjaba...NOW that would have made headlines..."Westside Jew Becomes Eastside Lutheran"...it would have saved me from a stupid mistake and given Jjaba the enlightenment of an Eastside background...for six months at least, until she drove Jjaba crazy. ES, KR and 7&K will confirm the wisdom of this. Oh well, opportunity missed.