Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through December 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Kinda......about Sister Avery....As a kid in the neighborhood and a PS - Columbus guy....it was a little unnerving to be headed somewhere and come across several nuns in full dress walking right towards you......Like did they know that I was going to Mt Hope Methodist......and when kids in the neighborhood made their first communion the kids on the whole street were either wearing suits or white dresses...and it was one big deal.....

Of course GB was out fast talking all the poor unsuspecting ST. Jude or AG girls from Gratiot to kelly road....That is why his NE shopper route took 5 hours for him to deliver.....

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES. It was a little unnerving for the catholic kids also as nuns approached. Many young catholics made it a habit (insert drum rim shot here) of avoiding the nuns when possible.

So that's why the northeast shopper was always delivered late.

(Message edited by kellyroad on December 17, 2007)

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: I saw that story in the AZ Republic...never would have dreamed that she was an Eastsider...or of the connection to our group...an incredibly small world...you should contact her KR...thank her for saving your soul from the likes of ES!

HEY...my Northeast Detroit route was from Gratiot to Kelly...THAT'S why it took so long! Uphill both ways...sometimes five feet of snow! Plus I had to run the gauntlet of the Mapleridge Mob...they controlled the entire area and extorted 10% of my tips. Re: the Catholic girls...it wasn't my fault that my '56 Ford convertible...white with a blue top...was a chick magnet.

Eastside61

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - finally something to contribute....the KR concept of contacting Sis. Avery.....Did you deliver to her house on Saratoga????

Goblue

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nope...never delivered to a Nun...at least not while she was on active duty...my route was Fordham and Eastwood...Gratiot to Morang...not Kelly.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa......gang!.........It snowed a bit where I am and using the public computers..(for now).....well.........KR...... your dad was rite 'bout me....(sort of).......you and I talked 'bout that big one back in Feb.'65 the other nite...........hmmmm.......any way........oh yea........ Bobby G. in that pic........and the car D.V. put contac paper on............................ ...........'66 Catlina...(green....pukey).... ..and G.B..to kinda tie it in all together........I was HOT for a little 'dago from H.W (still am).....(it's o.k.......I'm a Buffalo)........married a Greek from Dearborn (the nurse)........the little 'dago caught my eye again..........and............ .I wound up marrying an Irish Librarian!.......whew!..KR.... ...I kinda gave you the details on the phone......oh......yea....... Sister Averys' brothers used to beat me up all of the time whenever I ventured across the alley...."Met my old lover in the grocery store...........The snow was fallin' Christmas Eve..I stole behind her in the frozen foods and I touched her on the sleeze....She didn't recognize the face at first........But then her eyes flew open wide........She went to hug me and she spilled her purse and we laughed until we cried......We took her groceries to the check-outstand..the food was tottaled up and bagged...we stood there lost in our embarrassment....as the conversationn dried....we drank a toast to innocence, we drank a toast to now....and tried to reach beyond the emptiness but neither one knew how........so rite Dan Fogelberg..........1951-----De c. 16, 2007.......

Eastside61

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7/K - Since you hung out on E'wood and other local streets do you remember a Miller family who lived on the north side of saratoga at the corner of morang.....first house in from morang...in fact the alley between E'wood and Saratoga ran by their house......?????

Kellyroad

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: The Millers lived right behind the alley from us when we lived on Morang (we lived next to the corner duplex). Ann use to play with my sister, there was an older girl, I believe her name was Carol and a couple of older brothers one I think was John (?). I'm not sure if 7K would know them (he was from Spring Garden...and I'll let him speak for himself). Our family still recalls when Ann found matches and started a fire in a wastebasket in our basement....my poor aunt who was babysitting us freaked.....AH great memories. Mrs Miller (the mom) just passed away recently and I believe they were still living on Saratoga. Did you hang out with the Miller kids? I recall they had a basket ball hoop set up off the alley.

(Message edited by kellyroad on December 18, 2007)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7k: Nice Fogelberg quote.

DV's dad's car that was detailed was either a 65 Belair or Biscayne (probably from Dick Shala Chevrolet). I don't recall a Catalina.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright 7K, I know you like trivia and the rest of you can jump in if you know the answers:

1. The Calcaterra funeral home on Moross was a converted from a grocery store. What was the name of the grocery store?

2. There was a four star rated Italian restaurant on the west side of Kelly just north of Moross (George Pierot use to rave about it on his travalgoue show). What was the name of the restaurant? 7K you must know this.

Goblue

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Sure did not know that the Calcaterra funeral home had been a grocery store...but...one of the teachers I worked with in Warren Wds. married one of the Calcaterra's...she had some wild stories to tell about being there after hours when they were still dating.

2. I remember being in that restaurant...but like so many items about the Eastside the name is lost to the dust of history and travels.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..........don't know the Calcaterra store name........but as for resteraunt......Alcamo's.....a nd yes you were rite 'bout D.V.'s car.....a '65 Bel Aire (greenish)....and I would say he bought it at Ver Hoven over on 7 and Van Dyke..........didn't a salesman from there live around us somewhere?...maybe over on Saratoga......

Kellyroad

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, Ver Hoven was on 6 and Van Dyke...didn't know about the salesman that lived around us. The other Chevy dealer was Merrolis (sp?) (what a great, great guy....you got to remember that jingle) on Gratiot just north of 8 Mi. You are close about the guess of Alcamo's but not quite. I'll let ES respond....answers later

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldos'....................got my A's mixed up........Alcamos' was (is) across the street and was the original Chathams!........whew

Eastside61

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all.......Carol Miller was the one the boys(public school) on E'wood want to know better....anyone remember Volcano Pizza close to Kelly and Hayes......the neighborhood had great pizza....and I did buy a 65 corvette from Merollis Chevy in 67.....and just think...GB was twisting minds in Warren schools in the mid 60's.....I think he is still delivering the NE shopper, too....what a guy.....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good work 7k..good followup on Chathams. Wasn't the original Chathams called Chathams Village Market and featured more produce similar to Pollas???

Kellyroad

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yea there were some great pizza parlors on the NE side. Bono's on the eastside of Hayes between Saratoga and Eastwood and of course Fantasy Bowling on 7 Mi and Queen had great pie. Later the Little Ceasers on Kelly/Moross was popular (not bad for franchise pizza). It was't till much later (early 70s) that the pizza wars became prominent (Buddy's vs Shield's etc) on the east side...although that was somewhat removed from our little enclave.

Do not recall Volcano Pizza. Were they around in the later 60s--70s?

(Message edited by kellyroad on December 18, 2007)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: answer to trivia:
1. Kroger
2. Aldos

more later

Eastside61

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - there was also Lombardi's and Pippos that where totally big for DHS students and there was another pizza joint down by the Esquire Theatre on Mack called Mama Guiseppi's (sp) and mama would come out from the back and took NO lip from anyone in the rest. She was a very large woman who came out carrying a towel that she snapped at teenagers just for fun....it seems to be a DHS / Grosse Pointe hangout......I those days before SEHS went ethnic there were SE students who hung out with Denby students, too.....Aldo's as talked about above was a great place.....don't bring up SE with GB.....he will have to be restrained by the local police again if SE is mentioned......but remember he left the eastside to head towards Warren Woods...and lived with Ozzie and Harriet and two labs.....

Goblue

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Yup...sadly, SE students did socialize sometimes with the DHS & GP'ers...very, very sadly! ALDO'S...of course...great place. Also, Guiseppi's...ES is right...I saw him tossed out on his ass numerous times for getting mouthy with Mama...finally she banned him. After that SH chose to run with upper classmen.

Eastside61

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - Mama did snap the towel at TT.........what a life we led growing up in that neighborhood.......how times have changed.....

Goblue

Post Number: 844
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It is so sad to see the differences and to realize what a carefree existence we had.

Eastside61

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - carefree.......and the threat of WWIII......weird! Remember ...10 short bells means that you will be incinerated in the hallway of this school.......

Goblue

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Drills to teach us how to hide under our desks to avoid the nuclear explosion...gotta wonder.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: There was a fallout shelter sign indicating that the basement of St. Jude church was a haven for fallout from a nuclear blast.Also, the nuns actually had a bomb shelter located right in the back of their convent I think built during the war and pre nuclear threat (remember that 7K?). During the cuban missile crisis I recall my 4th grade geography class teacher (Sr. Mary John) showing how close Cuba was to the USA and that Detroit would most likely be a target because we were the arsenal of democracy. Ah yes the age of being carefree....I don't think any of the kids thought about it too much....like bending over and staying underneath our desks was going to save us...we were more concerned about the safety patrol boys getting us across 7 Mile safely and "staying in between the white lines".

Goblue

Post Number: 849
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: That Cuban missile crisis cost me a career in the U.S. Navy...was offered a commission in the fall of '62...a few months before graduation with B.A...I was ready to sign until that happened...had a fantasy of cruising the Mediterranean...visiting Athens, Rome, Istambul, etc...in a white officers uniform...not getting my ass shot off by a Soviet missle...so I passed on the deal...got married instead...should have taken the risk! All of that plus ex was going to enlist also as a Navy nurse...she would have been a Lieutenant...I'd have been an Ensign. Forks in the road!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOOOOO Sr.Mary John....tall and mean.........and yes on the Chathams' store thing......named after the city (village) they were in......I think a family (Weinstein) owned the place.........don't recall a shelter behind the convent.........I remember "the portables" which were knocked down in oh.....'65 I think to make room for the new addition...that's when they put us in the gym on the stage and upstairs there...........

Kellyroad

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: ah yes the old fork in the road: your path could have taken you to the Pentagon as a high ranking admiral reporting to the Senate Arms Committee OR Nam and ended up as a renegade captain defecting to Cambodia....but I digress.

But anyway, 7K touched on something that would be of interest to you and ES61 (as educators). After leaving Ms. Hertzog, my kindergarten teacher at Columbus, it was off to St. Jude. There were 60 kids per class times 4 classrooms for the early grades. Yes thats right, 60 kids....6 rows of 10 kids and only one teacher...It was no wonder the nuns had to be disciplinarians (240 kids per grade). The upper grades were also crowded with at least 50 kids per class....Interestingly, in my present town if the class size is over 27 a paraprofessional assistant is mandated. I'm not sure if Columbus or other school's in the Heilmann area such as Burbank had nearly as many students per grade. The "blacktop" sure was crowded with kids during lunch time as well as behind the convent and on Rex (they had to close the street off to traffic simply because there was no where else to put every one) Have you seen or heard of class sizes that large anywhere else?

(Message edited by kellyroad on December 19, 2007)

Goblue

Post Number: 854
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Well, you're right...about the time my enlistment would have been due to end...unless I had decided to stayed for a career...they were extending tours because they couldn't find young officers...so who knows...it could have all ended on a river boat in Nam...with another name on the black wall in D.C...all's well that ends well.

Can't say that I've ever heard of class sizes as large as 60...bright kids like you obviously did well...had to wonder about the intellectually challenged...aka dumb ones. I started teaching 4th grade with 32 kids...that was the largest I ever had. I've seen teacher contracts that mandate an aide in the class room if the size is over 24. The research says that the major variable that can make a difference in student learning is lower class size (like 20 or less)...IF...and that's a big IF...the teacher alters his/her teaching behaviors as a result. In other words if they just continue to teach as though there were 25-30 in the class nothing will change...but...if they individualize the learning program as a result of working with fewer kids improved learning will be the outcome. Trying to get teachers to change those behaviors is a MAJOR problem...although the younger teachers who are graduating...especially from WMU...are far better at it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 677
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL - Columbus was big....over 1100 for a K -8 school in the late 50's but no academic classes I think were above 35.......20 -1 does work and teachers are better trained today than 500 years ago when we went...650 years ago for GB.....