Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through December 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Which hospital was that where NS was a VP? Somewhere on the westside...I'll bet we could get him a private rubber room...I'm a believer in electric shock therapy...crank it up and zap 'im...watch him bounce around on the bed...he'll shape up.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey calling out for information on Mr. Charles Lewis, he was a track coach at Denby in th e70's...great man...truly a father figure to many of us...I heard he left to teach in another scholl...he must be retired by now...any thoughts ...

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran - was C Lewis a short man who taught English? I would imagine that he has retired.....GB who is in rehab at the moment once in a while does add some pertinent information and is old enough to have retired and hangs with the the SENIOR crowd....and might know about Lewis' whereabouts.....

Goblue

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib: Sorry...can't help you...the name C Lewis doesn't ring a bell...he was well after my time at Denby. ES continues to ramble. I couldn't help you locate Mr. Lewis and I've never been able to help ES either...although any number of us have tried...most importantly SH made a valiant effort. Her comment to me after she dumped him was, "Size really does matter!"

Eastside61

Post Number: 646
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You never set any attendance records at DHS.....you should be thankful that the DPS were not based upon ADA.......in fact are you sure you even went to Columbus......You might have been home schooled on Fordham...at the Celestine/Queen Academy of Arts ....it was kinda like a low budget Cass Tech.....in fact kinda like a Wilbur Wright but no curriculum.....

Goblue

Post Number: 816
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I will admit to having missed just a few days at TARland...however it was only so that I could enhance my income either by caddying an extra round, developing more prints in the Fox darkroom...or if need be...to bootleg a few cases of firecrackers from Ohio. Actually, it was all economics field study.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all........how to drive a west sider crazy....have him look for 6 mile rd..and a bit of triv......the name of the library behind the Ramona is........

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben Franklin branch was behind the Ramona.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction, Ben Franklin is still there. Ramona Theatre is long gone and Ramona Lanes(6 Mile and Hickory) is a flea market.

Goblue

Post Number: 819
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot! Glad to hear that the library is still there...I hope that the neighborhood kids get as much use and pleasure out of it as I did.

Eastside61

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The first library card the GB ever had was when he finally went to grad school at the u OF m........He read all the Curious George books over a two year period.....

Goblue

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I understand that MSU had a reading readiness program to try to get docs-to-be ready to take comprehensives...could that be true?

Eastside61

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - the MSU program and the Cal western programs were all based upon Classic comics....I was so thankful that Mrs. H was my first grade teacher at Columbus....and that I spent several years in her classroom before moving on to 2nd......and other educational pursuits....

Goblue

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Curious that you call SH "her classroom"...I'm certain there were learnings!

Eastside61

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Classroom????? I do remember SH dating Jerry Barlow for much of HS....his sister diane was in your 1949 class......49??? 47??- Did you go to Denby????

Goblue

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Never heard of 'im.

Eastside61

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Barlow had a 55 Ford black convert.....nice! Glad that you and Jjaba have come out of the closet and declared that you both are actually WESTsiders......ha ha......

Goblue

Post Number: 837
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...poor Jjaba had a deprived youth...he gets lost east of Woodward...water scares the hell out of him...you can imagine what the lakes do to Westsiders.

Eastside61

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - Jjaba needs to walk from Gratiot and McNichols starting at AG and just walk the springgarden.....glenwood trail until he gets to Hayes....and then head down Hayes to Columbus School and then camp for the night.....and then leave early if he is still alive and finish walking down Morang to I 94 and then through the Ballduck neighborhood and finally finding refuge in GPWoods....

Goblue

Post Number: 841
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: GREAT IDEA! That experience would turn him into a true Eastsider. You and I have made that trek many, many times...it made us what we are.

Eastside61

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - I think that he might go back to Temple more often......

Goblue

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It worked for me...returned to the Holy Grail as often as I could!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5776
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole conversation sounds like you must be in Cleveland. So dial up
www.clevelandyes.com.

jjaba, Produly Westside.

Goblue

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...sounds like Jjaba gets a little cranky...who can blame him growing up on the Westside...it had to be tough...yer safe now Jjaba among us TAR-Eastsiders.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5783
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing says Eastside like Denby, Carshop John, and a six pack of Stroths. But be proud, you put the world on wheels, extablished real living wages for a day's work, and taught a lot of us how to fish. You single-handedly fucking invented the weekend. Ask anybody who works at Wal-Mart about getting two days off in a row!

jjaba, enjoying his 15 minute break at 3pm.

Eastside61

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - are you still putting in brakes at the Jeep plant off of Jefferson on the EASTSIDE......fishing at the corner of Joy and Wyoming I have heard is not a good as fishing on the EASTSIDE...
GB - Cranky????? remember he was the westsider to attend the eastside school CAss Tech....

Goblue

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Better pee quickly if ya only have 15 mintues...assume that includes lunch too. Actually, ES invented the 5 day weekend during his sophomore year as a TAR. I'd heard that fishing on the Westside meant dropping a line and hook down into a street drain...hard to believe but ya never known about what goes on over there.

ES: Yer right...really can't blame Jjaba for being a little edgy...a Westsider attending CT...we shoulda kidnapped him and enrolled him at DHS...he'd have a better outlook today...or be dead for messin' with a torpedo's daughter...sort of like you and a cop's daughter only more dangerous.

Eastside61

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Jjaba has met his match......this is so cool......I am proud of the five day weekend....TIME OUT..."Here comes another Jeep Cherokee that needs brakes"......and there are no bait shops over by Mackenzie......which isn't really the real west side.....although there are some lost individuals who have attended ES High Schools like CT but have had a traumatic brain injury and think the they are trapped on the Dexter Bus....kinda like the late '50's song by the Kingston Trio....MTA.

We have extended to Jjaba the opportunity to join in the real tour of the EASTSIDE in late July......we could even drive by the now closed down 'STAG High School" that looks exactly like the famous EASTSIDE high school Denby......would you mind picking us up at the DTW - Jjaba???????

Goblue

Post Number: 862
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Maybe Jjaba could send his corporate jet to pick us up at home...and then deliver us to TC.

Eastside61

Post Number: 683
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I think that J wants a truce.....he is now talking about blending the "SIDEs" and that everyone be nice to each other....I guess he wants to go fishing for the first time - Or a picnic at Ballduck......or a trip to Belle Isle......he canoed once.....Oh thats right....it was another eastside cultural awareness program sponsored by that eastside HS once again.....Cass Tech....