Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through January 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 858
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Yeah, Columbus was a huge school...but...our Jan' 55 8th grade class only had 25 in it...see photo. For the record...ES was MSU class of '60!

(Message edited by GoBlue on December 19, 2007)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 678
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - MSU '60.....what????.....I was still being counseled by harold "spinal cord" Hammond about transferring to Wilbur Wright for the culinary arts program in pizza making......I looked over the pic and are you the first person on the right or left in row one?

Goblue

Post Number: 860
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 'Fess up...you've been collecting Social Security checks for a decade! GB is in the picture...back row. Three of these class members are deceased...cancer, suicide and automobile accident...two Ph.D.'s...one senior DFD leadership...several college grads...two hockey players.

Eastside61

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - which girls were on the hockey team?????

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: Season's Greetings and thanks for all the reminiscing, commentaries, observations, pictures, humor, and poignant insight contributed to this thread. Keep it coming.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR (M.S.).you beat me to it.............ALL: a safe and happy Christmas.........

Eastside61

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fellow Eastside Historians - and Jjaba, too......

Happy Holidays to all.........

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad....you just jogged my memory of 'fallout' and 'bomb' shelters at Macomb
Elementary... the drill consisted of going down into the basement tunnel and sitting under the asbestos covered pipes

Eastside61

Post Number: 695
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaja - we did the same at Columbus........Remember! 10 short bells would mean that WWIII was not going to happen....and we all could leave the basement ...

Jaja

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7-kelly kid.... the family that owned Chathams were the Weisbergs.... mom worked for them 20 years..

Eastside61

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAJA - Are you a Denby Grad????

Jaja

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ... I was smarter... I went to Cass ('63)
then after the Navy (I did the Med cruise)
graduated from M. S. U.. ('73)

Jaja

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EASTSIDE61... MY RELATIVES DID GO TO DENBY AND I CAN GET MY HANDS ON A 1961 YEARBOOK
(THE NAVIGATOR ??)... WHAT PAGE ARE YOU ON??

Kellyroad

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JaJa
Yea the bomb shelter which is still there (at least the hatch doors leading to the shelter...I've never personally seen the inside. The basement of the church was a fallout shelter, it had the triple triangle government issued sign....I never understood how a basement could shelter you from a nuclear blast and subsequent fallout. But I guess if an atomic bomb were dropped on the west side maybe the results of a nuclear winter would be delayed momentarily...and lucky it was stationed in a church.LOL

(Message edited by kellyroad on January 03, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaja,
Which chatham did your mom work for? An Eastwood neighbor of ours managed the Chathams on Kelly in Harper Woods for years.

Jaja

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom worked mainly at Gratiot / 8 Mile and
at the Regional Shopping Ctr.. on Gratiot at 15 Mile...but she did 'sub' every now and then
at most of them.... Edna was her name (deli)

Goblue

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Back from the Christmas sojourn to IN & MI...almost dodged the bullet but got caught in the storm on 1st & 2nd...reminded me of why I live in AZ! Ah couldn't live like thet no more!

Jaja: I don't think ES is in the '61 Navigator...he was expelled half way through his senior year...I think for selling grass clippings to freshman and claiming that they were pot. My recollection is that he earned his GED about '63...shortly before graduating from MSU.

Goblue

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: How is your snow shovel holding up? I read that ya'll got around a foot of snow...I was heading for the Indianapolis airport in the midst of it.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue: Funny you asked...my "craftsman" lifetime guaranteed shovel may have to be exchanged due to a loose connection on the handle(I'm a hold out and have yet to join the power snowblower seen)..even shovel neighbor's walks.
Riverview hardly got any snow while the norther burbs got clobbered.

Even though I like the changing seasons, I was somewhat envious of the AZ climate you retuned to. Single digits around here now but in the 50s by monday....gota love Michigan.

It seems that back in the day however snow was more prominent...from early december thru march....deeper snow and more frequent...
Does anyone recall helping the Detroit police by pushing their squad cars thru snowy intersections on the far eastside residential streets?..the ruts, yes the ruts.....a cherished memory on Eastwood Ave.

(Message edited by kellyroad on January 04, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Coast Weather Report: 12 noon Friday 1/4 SF Bay Area

Winds 45 MPH + Rain coming down kinda sideways and NO SNOW - well maybe at the 1500 ft level.....I love the seasons out here!

Goblue

Post Number: 871
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prescott AZ weather at 2:03 P.M. Mountain Time....sunny with high clouds...temp 55 F...another boring day in Paradise!

KR: Ah yes, the ruts...two running down the middle of the street...about 6-8 inches deep of frozen hard packed snow/ice...impossible to turn out of them...had to chop them down so that we could turn into our drive. I worry about you KR...remembering those ruts with cherish!...you've been in the snow and cold too long! I'm thinking that those of us committed to writing the history of the far N.E. side should take up a collection to get you a powered shovel...that or you need a teenager in your home.

Eastside61

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all Eastside Authors: has anyone seen my new Christmas gloves ? They were last seen on the bumper of the 54 Buick at Parkgrove and Brock....stuck to the back bumper when we would Hitch in the winter and get bounced around on the RUTS....

Goblue

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real Eastsiders did it on skis with a rope tied to the back bumper...or at least on a sled...before heading to Balduck to slide down the icy toboggan runs...or for a game of pickup hockey on the lake ice at the foot of 7 Mile.

ES is still pissed because I talked him into putting his tongue on the frozen pipe on the swings at the Columbus playground when he was in the 8th grade.

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 04, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 706
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I was a little 6th grader who worshiped your every move and you did that to me...shame on you!
You guys in the high desert are into ropes...want to explain????

Goblue

Post Number: 875
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvet ropes and blindfolds...same as on the westside of Mapleridge...or was it Parkgrove.

Eastside61

Post Number: 707
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB- Did Jjaba get his fishing lic ????? Tell him to bring rope!

Goblue

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Geez...I never thought about it...did SH dump you because of the outcome of that frozen tongue incident?...I am truly repentant!

Eastside61

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The secret is out.....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, Thanks for your kind concern regarding the shovel. The teenagers in the house is now history. So now its a warm parka, a tuque, boots, gloves, and the craftsman deluxe scoop shovel..still have a spare shovel used at the Eastwood house...probably at least 50 yrs old. I guess in a peculiar way I enjoy snow shoveling (not the heavy wet stuff)....There is a sense of peace and contentment being outside while everything is muffled. Back on Eastwood snow shoveling was a reason for the neighbors to get out of hibernation (particularly the adults). There seemed to be more leaning on the shovel while conversing than actual shoveling.

All: I'm sure you can remember chopping ice during the thaw to hasten getting rid of the ruts. It seemed the whole neighborhood had their ice choppers and shovels to make that long dam to the corner sewer. Ice chopping seemed to be the social elixir during the winter.....a community occurence that just doesn't seem to happen now a days. Of course reliable snow plows and salt trucks negate that.

7K: Do you recall Mr. Vig. was always one of the first on the block to get the ice chopping started? A couple of years ago my brother and I went to the St. Jude rummage sale held in the gym. We were going down memory lane and started "snooping around" the upstairs where the classrooms were held and found a box of St. Jude Jets ski caps...yea blue and gold with a "fuzz" ball on top. They were in plastic with a shipping date of 1987 on them. We took a couple of them downstairs and made an offer. Now I have a piece of the old east side when ever I shovel snow. Since the school is now Eastside Catholic Academy and no longer the Jets (I believe now the Eagles)...I own a piece of history........Yes folks, snow shoveling does take you back home.

GB: You are missing the balmy weather in Detroit on Monday....53 degrees and all the salt residue you can dream of.

ES: If I see the glove I'll give you a holler.

(Message edited by kellyroad on January 05, 2008)

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: oh yea! and after the chopping (maybe during) my dad would bring out a beer or or two...I can hear the sound of the water finally breaking through to the sewers.............any more thoughts on that Latin mass deal?