Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through January 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 883
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WMU went coed in 1908...with the first transfers from MSU complaining about the lack of social life in East Lansing...the latter groups of transferees from Spartanland were all TARS with the same complaint...they were obviously used to the best.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got off of Google and the data shows that there were 3 women enrolled at WMU in 1960.....You and your roommate Jjaba dated one each....can you name the third woman?....it wasn't howie T. was is?

I can also recall that in the dorm on the weekend or end of semester travel bulletin board NO ONE ever was headed to Kalamazoo.....Oh! there was one guy in a white convert who would pay MSU students to travel with him as he drove through E. Lansing either headed to the eastside or Kalamazoo....

Goblue

Post Number: 885
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: OF COURSE you don't recall anyone from your dorm heading to the WMU campus on weekends...they were all women! That white Ford convertible was a real chick magnet!

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 05, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Even greyhound wouldn't go to wmu because of you and Jjaba..

Goblue

Post Number: 890
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Are you kidding? The bus from East Lansing was jammed packed with MSU coeds heading to the WMU campus every weekend...who could blame them...East Lansing was SOOOOOOOOO boring. I think Jjaba lived in married student housing but yours truly was footloose and fancy free!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5927
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There goes GoBlue misrepresentring a very active, foot loose and free jjaba. Although a Detroit Torah Bukkor teaching at Congregation Beth Moses Sunday School, 4th Grade, jjaba could get it on in Kalamazoo on Saturday night!

We agree, MSU is boring. Nobody parties like a Bronco at Lake Michigan on weekends. (as long as you had the girls back in the dorm by 1am.)

Sadly, Golue was married with two kids, staring at his black and white Muntz Tv.

jjaba, Class of '65.

Eastside61

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J and GB - BORING???? typical bronco....and J I thought that you were a little more together than GB....thank GOD that J you consider yourself an honorary EASTSIDER.....

Goblue

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & Jjaba: Ah yas...parties on the weekends at Lake Michigan...let me count the times...there was MG, BS, MB, VW, etc!...in the dunes just south of South Haven...ah the memories...gotta feel sorry for ES...nothing to remember but the banks of the Red Cedar with its floating condums...hard to have a good time putting a blanket down amidst the wrappers left behind by visiting Broncos.

Yer right Jjaba...you weren't married and neither was I...a couple of footloose and fancy free Broncos having one hell of a good time in the early '60's. And...our TV was an RCA...NOT a Muntz! It even had a square screen.

Eastside61

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB /J - MG, VW and the other initials..were those the cars you drove to the lake Michigan beaches?????

There are several shines dedicated to ES61 along the RC......to busy studying to watch a lot of TV like you boys.....but then you birds were driving your VW's and MG's to the L. Michigan to watch the sunsets with no female companions....

Jjaba

Post Number: 5929
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1950-60s, there a very few English sportscars but otherwise, we drove full sized Detroit iron, the kind with comfortable back seats for the smooth rides home from the Beach.
Yes, the dunes near South Haven was out Haven.
jjaba, honorary Denby Tar.

Goblue

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - ES: Okay, let's see...something good about CT...give me a couple minutes I know I can come up with something...uh...well...okay.. .the CT janitors kept the floors very clean! How's that? I think that being a city-wide school CT didn't have the level of loyalty that schools like Denby had...I grew up in grades K-8 anxious for the day that I would become a Denby Tar...the ultimate was in earning a letter sweater...also known as a chick magnet...allowing a girl to wear your sweater on a given Friday was virtually a guarantee.

You're right Jjaba...nothing but Detroit Iron (mostly Fords but I do remember one '60 Chevy convertible) on those forays from WMU to the Lake Michigan dunes and beach...those beauties had nice wide...and soft...bench seats...front and back...along with a big trunk for hauling the beer, rum and watermellons to spike and cool in the lake...a few times the girls signed out for the night and a group of us would spend the night on the beach under blankets around a big fire...if a couple disappeared up into the dunes everyone knew they were just going for a walk. One of them was a visiting Spartan!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5932
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba never stayed out all night at Lake Michigan.

His girlfriends just signed out "to town",
and when they said they were going to town, they meant it.

jjaba went to work at Wrigley's after school so no sports for him. His chick magnet musta been the white shirt and the maroon clip-in bow tie for the store. His school ride was the Grand River electric feeder bus, riding shotgun.

Goblue is right about school spirit and friends at Cass Tech. Being city-wide makes afterschool activities much tougher since we scattered to all parts of the city, including fobidden and mysterious places like the Eastside.

jjaba, honorary Denby Tar.

Goblue

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: So sorry that you never got to spend a night on the beach...that's what you get for dating the local Jewish princesses...Catholic girls were more fun...all they had to do was confess...be forgiven...no guilt...and plan for the next beach party.

I dunno about the white shirt and clip-on bow tie as a chick magnet...got my doubts...however, the Jjaba I remember never seemed to be suffering from a lack of feminine companionship!

I don't think I ever personally knew anyone who went to CT...if any TAR had ever transferred it would have been considered high treason...the offender would have had to move to the Westside or risk being shunned.

Eastside61

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boys: My roommate at MSU was a January 61 grad from CT......And he lived one block from Ballduck...at TRUE eastsider He lived on Ashley off of CPark Drive.....Now Boys' empty the sand from your bvd;s its time to move on from those distorted lake Michigan memories that are blurred by the Dexter bus smog and Letter sweaters that were worn only by SR the FOX of the cheerleading squad.....

I kinda agree with Jjaba....Sheila Fishman who went to Mumford was very very very foxy .......

Goblue

Post Number: 903
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't the bvd's that the sand got into! But...the memory of SR is clear!

Eastside61

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "Shake that groove thing" do it for several minutes to get all the sand out....

Goblue

Post Number: 907
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You sayin' there were foxes on the Westside as well? Will wonders never cease!

Eastside61

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB /Jjaba : In 1960 you both would agree with me that Sheila Fishman was a FOX......black hair and blue eyes........remember the DPS IMSSC groups that met regarding better communications between HS during that era...Well Sheila was an IMSSC rep from Mumford......I would have transferred to Mumford and would have joined Jjaba's temple .....just to be closer.....ha ha

Goblue

Post Number: 910
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Black hair and blue eyes...I recall that several of the hookers working John R that I used to jive with after dropping SE'59 off at her nurses dorm in the early sixties had that combination...are you sure that she was from Mumford?

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 09, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Don't mess with Ms. Sheila........she SURE was from Mumford... Jjaba......investigate her whereabouts....

Jjaba

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba never had much to do with Mumford. There were plenty of Jewish girls at Cass Tech.
Unlike the Eastside, people were respected for going to Cass Tech. We had to qualify, unlike the Eastside, home of preference balancing. Without preference balancing from Denby, Pershing, Eastern and Osborn attendance zones, Cass was all Westsiders.

That was the good news since jjaba learned how to eat linguini, kielbasa, blood sausage, and Belgian waffles. Dad always had a full car servicing before you left on an Eastside adventure. Full tank of gas too.
jjaba.

Eastside61

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - You and I both missed out by going to quality Eastside Schools and the opportunity to slow dance with Mumford Mustangs.......The rumor around the eastside in the late 50's which has been proven true was that those eastsiders applying to Cass would use westside addresses because it was easier to get into Cass.....

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@l my first post on this forum...I am a Denby alum 71-74...the HS was built on land that was previously owned & farmed by my great-grandfather, and there originally was a one-room schoolhouse on the land where Denby was eventually built, my family has a pic stashed somewhere of my grandmother standing in front of that school with other children, circa late 1800s.

Eastside61

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders - Welcome....be aware that GB and Jjaba are psychologically disturbed (ha ha) but it would be great to see the pic of the original school house. I remember a Flanders street off of Hayes......is that a link to your Post name????

Flanders_field

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I lived one street over on Wilfred near Gratiot 50s-early80s The field was a vacant lot rumored to have been created by a light plane crash in the 40s, and is where many of my neighborhood friends and I got into all kinds of mischief :-)

I'll try to find that picture, I think my mother has it, and will post a link to it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F - Great......GB is a fordham guy from the '59 era....Jjaba is a westsider with a strange bent but he did go to an eastside HS...Cass Tech....'59. I am a '61 grad who lived on Mapleridge close to Morang.....This group is all over the place so please try to hang in there! There are two other eastsider threads....Heilmann and Where are all the Denby Tars that are cool too....We are thinking of writing a book so we will need your perspective...

Flanders_field

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some additional NE Detroit history info off the top of my head...Houston-Whittier was originally named "Hessian Road" named for the German soldier conscripts/mercenaries who fought in the Civil War. Assumption Grotto was built by my ancestors, (burned down and was rebuilt) who grew tired of having to take a long horse-drawn carriage-ride down Gratiot (plank-road) to the churches located close to downtown, esp in the winter. Many died of consumption (tuberculosis) and were buried in the small cemetery located behind the church.

Chalmers was at one time named "Lang Road" which is my surname. I wonder how many here on this forum remember a newspaper called the Northeast Detroiter, that I recall that was still in circulation up to around the late 70s,and there were articles printed often in it about the history of the eastside of Detroit.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh...oh..........how 'bout Flanders bar? on the corner of (you guesed it) Flanders and...and....Chalmers?.....acr oss the street from Lopo's train store!

Eastside61

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders - Go Blue delivered the NE detroiter for 30 + years and put himself through Columbus Elementary.....ha ha

Flanders_field

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I am going to have to read more of the archived posts on this thread..LOL!!