Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through January 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 863
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Actually....Jjaba could really help you...a social worker...skilled at assisting problemed souls through rehab.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5811
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, jjaba IS a social worker, what's your problem?

jjaba, Proudly Westside, Proudly Cass Technician.
Proudly, kicked Denby HS ass in sports alot.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJaba....What sports did YOU play? As a social worker I am sure you are very busy working the westside.......

Eastside61, Proudly EASTSIDE, Proudly Denby high School, who ALWAYS kicked CT's ass....ALOT....

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great reading about the Tars. My brothers were '38 and '41. I was '45 with all city Dan Musetti '46 who went to MSU and later died in Korea.Played football with the '46 City Champs quarterbacked by Vic Gastell-Gastell's Market.
I remember well the little library behind the Ramona. How about K's and Cupids?

Eastside61

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill - R - Welcome to the TARS thread - Which Denby neighborhood did you grow up in??????

Goblue

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill R...great to have you on the TARS thread...you were a tad ahead of me...I was '59...my sister was '51. Pay little attention to ES...he claims to be a TAR grad but in reality he got his GED several years after our class graduated...I think he got it the semester before he graduated from MSU...their admissions were a little lax.

Bill_rush

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy to have a response. We lived on Joann then Greiner(Von Steuben)then Oldtown(Finney)UM'48 and WSU Med 52.Pediatrician in SCS then admin St. John then the world.Great life due to great start at Finney and Denby. MSU, was the COW COLL-EGE in my days. BIG rivals-SE,Pershing,NE.Ham-tram ck killed us all.

Bill_rush

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Ed Rutherford a Tars coach? He and his much bigger brother Doug were stars in my days under Jim Stout who was replaced by Abe Eliowitz, my coach. Great guy but MAC(MSU)grad I'm afraid.
Who is this guy Arab-Umovich?

Goblue

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill R: Yup, Ed Rutherford was the TARS coach in the early '50's until sometime in the '60's...not certain when he left to become an assistant at MSU...he lived on Mapleridge just down the street from ES. He had some great teams...probably his outstanding player was Ed Budde...All-American at MSU and then All-Pro with the KC Chiefs. ES will have more of the details if he ever gets over his New Year's hangover...you know how those San Fran-San Jose guys are! I'm still waiting for the $20 ES owes me from the M-MSU game...have little hope of collecting for the M-Florida game...unless I asked Vito to visit him! He keeps raving something about a prom date and a gathering of TAR-MSU alumni in Traverse City in the summer...who knows?

We lived on Fordham a couple of blocks east of Gratiot...went to Columbus Elem. and then Denby. I agree...those schools gave a great start to undergrad at WMU and then grad school at WMU & U-M...was a educator...finished my career as superintendent of the Huntsville, AL schools...now living in sunny Arizona. Glad to have you on the thread.

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 03, 2008)

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is the farthest flung Denby Tar? I'm San Diego after fifty years in Detroit...

Bill_rush

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB-Ever run into a classmate/ Finney and Denby named Jack Momeyer in AZ and TC?
Farthest flung- I'm now St.Marys GA by way of Riyadh and Doha(5 years)

Eastside61

Post Number: 699
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All:
GB '56 Ford

Goblue

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farthest: Looks like Al-t is the farthest...I'm Prescott, AZ by way of Anchorage, AK and Huntsville, AL. ES61 claims to be in San Jose but personally I believe he's in an upstate maximum security prison for car theft. The pic he posted is MY '56 Ford...his mob is holding it for ransom!! Around here we deal with horse and car thieves with a rope!

Bill-r: Can't say that the name is familiar.

Eastside61

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All - I will scan in the Lic plate next which spells out Ballduck

California Dreanin' to you all!
We need to figure out which side of the AZ / Mexico border GB lives on!

Goblue

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Gawd, that was a fine...and fun...automobile....drove it to Ft. Lauderdale for Spring Break 1960 with four buddies...we got lucky and stayed at the same motel as a sorority from Indiana State.....ah, the memories!

Eastside61

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - I am sure you can still sing the ISU fight song....it is the same tune as the viktors......

Goblue

Post Number: 884
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ISU fight song? There weren't no fight...except I can't remember her name!

Eastside61

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is ISU the school with the wolverine mascot and the Victors fight song...I think they are the ones...

Goblue

Post Number: 886
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I STILL can't remember her name...but...I do have a picture.

Eastside61

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB -CSI Sister only do MI residents......sorry!

Goblue

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Story of my life...a great memory...of ISU sorority sister in Ft. Lauderdale...akin to the scene in From Here to Eternity one night on the beach...but can't remember her name...ah well...the memory will suffice.

Eastside61

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - next time I watch "from here to eternity" I will be thinking about you.......

Goblue

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah....me too!

Eastside61

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - especially when Burt L chases you up the beach as another wave crashes in.......was that filmed south of South Haven in 1960???

Goblue

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...I was Burt's screen double! You know...I think it might have been filmed in South Haven...the scenery looks very similar...at least as it did in '60. Today its all developed...they paved paradise and put up a parking lot!

Eastside61

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB = Whew! Sorry that paradise is being parked upon.....Another reason for us to buy all the lots below Jefferson (Guyton School), Canals, Lakewood Park so that we can restore it before the book comes out next July.......How about if we steal from Tom Brokaw's format from his new book Boom and do a series of interviews and get two perspectives...then & now style.....

Please Please Please let me interview SR........

Goblue

Post Number: 902
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Probably best that you take the SR interview...she didn't seem much interested in talking to me...don't forget though...there's been a whole lot of gravity since that Navigator pic was taken.

Eastside61

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "Once a Fox always a fox".....ET Fordam St 1959

Tushack just ran into a guy from the eastside....sam marsden '57

Goblue

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There's truth to that...but...gravity and calories have a way of distorting what was a wonderful memory...have learned that the hard way a couple of times...on the other hand...was pleasantly surprised a couple of times too...why don't you check it out and let me know.

That name is REALLY familiar...he's in the '57 book but I don't recognize him...must have been a tennis player. Wonder if he was another guy hiding out it TT's room.

Eastside61

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Shak will send further info....seems to have some additional info on Barlow's racist father who was a DPD detective.......interesting - maybe!