Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through January 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FF - As a Lic psychologist I would advise the following....do NOT believe anything that Gb has written on any of the Three EASTSIDE threads....(heilmann, Tars and Denby) The poor man has moved to the high desert of AZ to live with his cult following....

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>The poor man has moved to the high desert of AZ to live with his cult following....<<

Yikes!!

His real surname isn't Jones, Koresh, or Manson I hope...

I'll take his posts w/ a grain of salt, but if GB is a survivor of the hazy mid60s-mid 70s era, and still has his wits about him enough to learn how to use a computer & surf the i-net..gotta give him credit for that, so many ppl I knew during that "experiencing" time did not make it into the 21st century completely intact (physically and/or mentally) or even alive..including some of my closest friends.

Eastside61

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FF - GB has a VERY SMART wife....

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5935
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16 Grand River buses would line up going West when Cass Tech. let out to Southfield, Lahser, Telegraph, City Limts.

Simultaneously, four Eastside punks would come out, and hop in an old Plymouth to race up Mack Ave. At the same time, there were no Grand River buses heading East to take anybody to the vast beyond.

jjaba wonders where Eastside61 gets his Eastside Cass Tech. data, because it sure isn't from the school census. Westside bestside, nobody but a few suburbanite losers used Westside Detroit addresses to attend Cass Tech.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders: I feel REALLY bad that I wasn't here to warn you. ES61 is actually a prisoner in a maximum security pen in San Jose, CA. He hallucinates a great deal as a result of his years spent in the Haight-Ashbury area in the '60's. In his moments of lucidity he often assumes the persona of his therapist and actually believes that he is a psychologist. The sad thing is that his father was a noted Detroit area educator and outstanding representative of THE University of Michigan. His sibs, while also noted individuals, unfortunately diverted to MSU. He did grow up on the eastside where he had a reputation of being a noted debaucher of sweet young things...SH being the most notable...although at times he diverted to the westside and the Mumford area. USE EXTREME CAUTION IN YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH HIM!

Jjaba: Much of the above applies to your question. Being the humanitarian that you are I would simply urge that you give ES as much understanding as you can. The poor guy needs all of the help and support that we can offer.

Goblue

Post Number: 914
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders (again): Your posts are fascinating. I hope that you find the pic of your great-grandmother in front of the school that became Denby. My folks lived on Flanders at one point...I think somewhere near Gratiot...until my sister was about three when they bought the 900 sq. ft. house on Fordham in 1936 that I knew as home.

I sure do recall the N.E. Detroiter...my route...from about 1952-54..was Fordham...Gratiot to Morang...although once I crossed to the eastside of Hayes I always kept my Wham-O slingshot handy...there were dangerous gangs prowling that area. I never had to turn over my tip money but I did nail a few of the bastards...as evidenced by the welts on their butts as they went running home crying...the gang activity subsided after their leader moved to Mapleridge...SH reported one time that he still had a scar after being shot in the ass by a ball bearing from a slingshot...her father...who was DPD...reportedly added to the scars when he caught them "interacting" in his basement.

I hope you'll keep up your posts of the history of our homeland...it's really interesting. I recall reading that Houston-Whittier was called Hessian Rd...but the fact that Chalmers was once Lang Rd. was new to me.

Eastside61

Post Number: 744
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders - Enough from the TWO clowns, one who is a wanna-be westsider who for some reason even though he was NOT from the true westside (Central HS) and not Mackenzie or Cody area or whatever who also attended a true pillar of EASTSIDE Education Cass Tech and the NE Detroiter delivery boy of the year 1953 who also opted to go to WMU with Jjaba.......What will be beneficial will be your perspective about the area and its transition during your era for the book that is planned.

GB is a true educator with great insight about Eastside Detroit and we have offered to JJaba who wants to so badly to be accepted as an eastsider but he his not sure how to go about it. A true Baptism, which will be a first for him would be held at the foot of Lakewood fishing. Jjaba needs to be honored for his lifelong work for the civil rights of others...that actually was needed on both the westside and eastside of Detroit.

Goblue

Post Number: 915
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flan: Okay...so ES truly is a noted psychologist in the Bay area...having maxed his learnings from one of the other Michigan institutions. The true measure of his skills lies in the fact that he convinced ME to marry him despite his wayward ways...and the fact that he has fathered some brilliant daughters...one of whom keeps him in free season tickets to an expansion NHL hockey team.

I agree with ES...a fishing expedition off of the foot of Lakewood would instill Jjaba...who happens to be a stellar civic leader...as a TRUE eastsider...although I don't know that the use of the word "baptism" works with a guy whose friends call "The Rabbi"...he claims to wish to hold onto his westside upbringing but too often the feelings come through in his writings that he has longed to join those of us from the true Detroit.

Eastside61

Post Number: 747
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flan/GB - A true measure of being an eastsider is the various outreach methods we extend to others....even those who took the Dexter bus to Cass......."All are Welcome to the true side of Detroit"

Goblue

Post Number: 918
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...we must open our arms to those who wish to join the true fold...to join those of us who are the descendants of the original French farmers who in the early 1800's establish the east side as Detroit. Great sources of that early history are the four booklets I have in my library titled: DETROIT: A French Village on the Frontier; PONTIAC'S SIEGE of DETROIT; THE GREAT FIRE OF 1805; and THE STARS And STRIPES Come To DETROIT...all were published in 1951 by Wayne University Press. They clearly establish the eastside as the core of Detroit.

Jjaba, Jjaba...won't you please come home.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5940
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is home anywhere's in Detroit thank you.
jjaba, Proudly Westside, pack a lunch.

Goblue

Post Number: 921
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Are you certain that we won't fall off the edge if we venture to the westside?? There is no definition of limit on the westside...whereas on the eastside the edge is defined by the lake and river...plus...other than ES's lost love Sheila...and you of course, the folks over there could be dangerous. I dunno...maybe its best to stay on the eastside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5942
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is correct. The Westside doesn't end until you get to Lake Michigan. The Westside Detroit City Limits are purely political because the City ran outta tax forms, so Livonia and Dearborn took over since they had over-printed.

On the Eastside, they ran into East Pointe, Grosse Pointe and Ye Olde Strip Joint.
jjaba.

jjaba.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB..if ES is a noted debaucher of sweet young things, um yea, I certainly can relate to & really see nothing wrong w/ that...LOL!!

jjaba...As far a ye olde strip joints, it was fun watching other guys beat their drumsticks and stuff $$$ down the strippers g-strings, while I would pretend to ignore the girls and/or look at the others while one would dance on our table, it would occasionally result in getting for gratis what all of the other guys could only hope for and keep throwing money at.

Goblue

Post Number: 923
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders: Trust me on this one...ES damn near got himself killed messin' with the daughter of a real tough DPD officer on the eastside during his TAR years...other than the comment about max security pen...all of the rest is true. His wife has been nominated for sainthood by the Presbyterian Church...as an elder in the church I signed the papers myself. He was her senior thesis as a social worker in the Haight-Ashbury area in the '60's. Ya gotta wonder!

Regarding the strip joints...I never could figure out why anybody would pay a professional when there were so many willing and good amateurs.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Regarding the strip joints...I never could figure out why anybody would pay a professional when there were so many willing and good amateurs"

I suppose "professionals" could be comparable to ordering a pizza, when you are finished all that needs to be done is to "toss" the box it "came in" away....at any rate the amateur could sometimes end up becoming more expensive and time consuming, not to mention VERY angry if/when she found out that you considered her only to be one certain piece of bedroom furniture.

Eastside61

Post Number: 752
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders - Remember that GB worked as a male stripper for only several nights and then went back on unemployment while living in Kalamazoo......not sure if it was his "white Guy" dancing skills (Zero) or the body ?????? He did go directly into therapy right after his 3 night dancing career....

Goblue

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders: Good point...some of those "amateurs" ended up costing a small fortune...especially the one I married!! Classic gold mine and shaft story.

There goes ES ranting and raving again...he's clearly off his meds!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside of Detroit, skanky beer and women. That's all they ever talk about.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 927
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: What's your point?

Stroh's beer skanky? Heresy!

Eastside61

Post Number: 753
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - don't you get it yet ????? You were born in Harper Hospital in 1940.....I have the microfiche printout......

We have tried to extend our insight with your knowledge of West of Woodward and you continue to take cheap shots at those of us who did make it even though we were not from the affluent Mackenzie neighborhood......but there is still time....let us know what you need my Detroit Brother! Your friend Eastside 61

Goblue

Post Number: 930
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: STROH'S skanky! Can you imagine? Did they ever brew the nectar of the Gods on the Westside! There is a good reason they didn't!

Didn't know that Mackenzie was affluent. Thought that was reserved for GP...loved it as a TAR when those GP sweet things decided to go slumming!

Eastside61

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - GP was......Mackenzie was totally westside, lame and totally out of it....although you know of Jjaba from bronco land......? Any redeeming qualities???? Right! CORE but there is more to life than CORE stuff....

Jjaba

Post Number: 5944
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba lived in Mackenzie district but attended Cass Tech. Most neighbors and jjaba lived in two-flats, 5 rooms up, 5 rooms down. Any ideas of Westside affluence is over-rated.

Evidently, all the good German brewers built on the Eastside of Detroit. jjaba doesn't remember any brewers on the Westside. Faygo was also an Eastsider.

Speaking of brewers, where is Vernor's now brewed? jjaba lost track of them after Woodward and Canfield.

jjaba, honorary Denby Tar.

Goblue

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Jjaba has devoted his life to the teaching and working on behalf of civil rights...not only during his life in CORE but continued on into "retirement"...as a Bronco I remember Jjaba as a smooth dude who facilitated communications between the sexes...was a booming voice on the radio...and courted more than a few Bronco and townie lovelies of his own. Like yourself he was saved from a life of debauchery and decadence by a wonderful woman who has provided love and stability to an otherwise reckless life. Both ME and Mrs. J have been far more successful than I ever was as I tried to provide a sound model of behavior for both of you.

Eastside61

Post Number: 759
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "Redemption is possible....." Mt. Hope Methodist 7/Morang.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue remembers the velvet voice, jjaba on WIDR radio, in Kalamazoo, spinning a stack of wax.

jjaba, enjoying an Eastside Faygo Red Pop.

Goblue

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & Jj: Have no idea where Vernor's is brewed these days...assuming that it still is...don't think I've seen it on the shelves here.

ES You're right about the possibility of redemption...Mt. Hope Methodist, Messiah Lutheran...or...maybe KR could put a gown on and shake a little water on him at St. Jude.

You're right Jjaba...you and Wolfman Jack coming over the airwaves in the early sixties...do you still have your collection of 45's?

Better go easy on that Faygo...it'll give ya a belly ache and you'll be up all night peeing!

Eastside61

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - Hope you have a great jazz collection to fall back on and when you come over for the fishing trip we will hit Fordham, Mapleridge and the foot of Lakewood. At each place we will toast using Faygo Cream Soda......

Goblue

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & Jj...I feel sick just thinking about Faygo Cream Soda...how about a Vernor's in a shake with vanilla ice cream instead...we'll also need to go down on Gratiot and watch them making potato chips