Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through January 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 882
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I know what you mean about the peacefulness of being out in the snow...I was in Kalamazoo last week and was reminiscing with an old friend about living on the WMU campus in the early '60's... walking about a mile downtown with a date to go to a movie and then walking back to the dorm through the quietly falling snow...we didn't notice the cold...plus it was a good excuse to stop from time to time to rub noses.

You're right...ice chopping...and earlier in the fall leaf burning...were neighborhood social times...my recollection too is that there was more leaning on the shovels and choppers than actual chopping...and during spring breakup the rush of water to the sewers.

Weird as hell...50 degrees in January in Detroit...sure not the winter weather I remember as a kid. Today we're getting the rain and wind from the storm that hit CA yesterday...here in the high desert we NEVER complain about rain...we'll take all we can get...at this point the snow is above 5500 ft...could get some here tonight. The report on the news said that 400K were without power in CA...hope that ES has a wood burning stove.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 714
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - where was the '56 white convert? Walking a mile each way maybe uphill both ways....are you sure this one time date enjoyed the "quietly falling snow".....Did you get her back to the dorm on time.....?????

Kid memories of the winter on the eastside included Fox and Geese and Backyard Hockey that seemed to be played all year long....and lasted from grade school through college and beyond

Goblue

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The white convert stayed home with my sister for my first year at WMU...one of my dad's conditions...he said something about not wanting to be a grandfather before his time. It worked until I met NS...whose father had given her a new black Olds convertible as a H.S. graduation present.

Few rules were ever sillier than the required dorm time for women...it just meant that we had to start earlier.

Backyard hockey? Sheeeeuuuttt!

Eastside61

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You are right! amazing how things started earlier when the discriminatory rules were applied to women! sometimes in daylight....and for sure before 1 AM on the weekends.....

Goblue

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 1:00 A.M.! My recollection is that women had to be in their dorms by 10:00 on weekdays and midnight on weekends...which meant that whatever we were going to do had to start somewhere around 8:00 during the week and 9 or 10 on the weekends...right after the movie let out. Of course, after the women had to be in their dorms there was nothing to do except head to the bar and shoot a few games of pool...unless one also had a "townie" or student nurse at one of the hospitals as a "friend".

Eastside61

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - didn't know that the YWCA had hours.....the Y was the only women dorm on the WMU campus.... Right?????

Goblue

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Never knew of a YW in Kzoo...there was a pregnant girls home...which was understandable given the nature of Broncos...but never knew of a YW...on the other hand...we always believed that the entire MSU campus was a YWCA which was why so many Spartanettes came to Kzoo on the weekends!

Eastside61

Post Number: 725
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - What???? Bronco's only went out with guys from the YMCA....Please....! You and Jjaba were not in the original Village People......????? YMCA......Y...M...C...A!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K. Not sure about the Latin Mass....I'll have to check out the availability of cassock and surplice in my size. It is interesting to see the availability of a more traditional format Mass especially in old gothic churches that graced Detroit back in the day (we all love to wax nostalgic don't we).Hopefully, this winter or early spring I can get back with mom to St. Jude.

I wonder if ES and GB are interested in booking a warm-weather get away in the Detroit area...63 degrees today....forget about the snow shovel....the leaf rake used today took me back to the elm lined Eastwood tunnel of trees..yes even in January.

(Message edited by kellyroad on January 08, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7k, Notice the lights in the nave. I believe you commented on them before.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=479ff853 04b7356845dc98128ba0e00e&q1=st +jude&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2=& rgn2=vmc_ti&type=boolean&med=1 &view=thumbnail&c=vmc

Goblue

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: A good friend of mine in Yuma, AZ is a lay deacon in the Catholic church...as such he performs weddings, baptisms, funerals...I was surprised...didn't know that such a role existed in the church...a great guy...for a Notre Dame grad! He's very much a committed Christian...living on the border he is called to act on his beliefs and faith. I could give him a call to see if he might have an extra cassock and supplice if you're considering taking the vows.

I agree...miss those old gothic churches...I shot a lot of weddings in those churches all over the Eastside...a zillion stories to tell. Much prefered shooting in the Catholic churches...the priests were a whole lot easier to work with than the uptight Lutheran, etc. ministers.

I think I'll pass on the warm weather trip to Detroit in January...it'll be at least 50 here today with full glorious sun...got down to low 20's last night...ya'll are sure experiencing some really strange weather...I wouldn't go ice fishing on Lake St. Clair if I were you. We used to drive our cars out to the shanty villages on the lake. If fact, I think that SH first gave it to ES in an ice shanty out on the lake.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The lay deaconship is becoming more prevalent especially with the critical shortage of priests. I guess I left my commitment to wearing a cassock and surplice 40 years ago on the east side at St. Jude church....perhaps 7K can help rekindle my spirit in such matters of faith and tradition. I've seen older acolytes (altar boys) serving now but very rare. It will be interesting how acolytes will serve with the resurgence of the Latin Mass (what young kid studies or even memorizes latin responses any more).

Did you shoot any weddings at Assumption Grotto (6 and Gratiot) or St. Joseph (Jay and Orleans just off of Gratiot)?...These are just two of the churches offering Latin Masses.

It was kind of interesting seeing a runners club jogging around the Riverview reflection pond in shorts on January 7....suppose to snow this weekend however...so if the dessert gets to cold at night you can always come to the big D wait a few days and enjoy winter wonderland.

ES: Haven't talked to the bro-in-law recently...but it seems SJ had some interesting winter weather also.

Al Gore, where are you now?

Goblue

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: We shot a lot of weddings at AG...Fox Studio was a baseball throw down the street but on the west side of Gratiot...3 doors south of Saunders...I don't specifically recall shooting at St. Joseph but I must have...it seemed like we were in every Catholic church on the Eastside in about a seven year period from 1956-1963. Actually my funniest memories of AG are heading home in the late afternoon from the Ramona with the Fordham gang...cutting through the cemetary...10-12 yr. old boys can conjure up wild fantasies...especially about the above ground crypts.

I talked to my daughter in Kzoo this morning...same kind of stuff that you're getting...weirdly warm...and then dropping off quickly with snow. The desert temps swing about 25-30 degrees from night to day...its beautiful today. I think I'll pass on the winter visit to D...this last trip to IN, A2, Kzoo and Bridgman was enough for me...it really reminded us of why we moved out here...300 days a year of sun is to die for. As soon as they finish the pipeline to pump water from Lake Michigan to this area we'll be all set! George Bush promised so we know that it's true! Its true...he really did...during a speech in Phoenix...I was rolling on the ground with laughter when I heard about it...there were people who actually believed it.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Riding thru AG cemetery on bikes: another cherished eastside memory......If the detroit news delivery to the Maple and Celestine Detroit News paper station was late many of the carriers would hang out there (only a couple of blocks away)until the truck arrived.

Lame ducks don't have to keep their promises do they? As you know sharing the great lakes is a political hot stove issue, especially in Michigan. Don't mess with Jenny Granholm!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL:.....my brother used to make me watch "Thriller" and Twilight Zone and tell me they were DOCUMENTRIES!...Then take me through the AG boneyard...........I still think its the scariest cemetery around. Hey Mike...how come we never biked down to that cemetery?........we went to Eastland enough times............We'll definately take an excursion through the hood come spring.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, I guess the impetus of our youthful exploration took us north to Kelly Road, Eastland, Heilmann, or the "blacktop" or south east to the lake...occasionally 7/Gratiot area. The AG cemetery was utilized with the "Troester" gang at the paper station. I remember hanging out at Merit Drugs in the magazine section reading MAD mag.....I think it was you that introduced me to MAD....it really helped develope a healthy cynicism of mankind.....kind of reminds me of the current day Simpsons.

My brother and I do make an annual east side excursion in the spring time. We try to time it during Easter week during the St. Jude rummage sale. Believe it or not there are still members of the Rosary Altar Society that were active back in the 60s. Jean Michaels is still the Corr. Secretary....What a time warp..Think spring 7K, think spring

GB: Just got back from dinner and a grocery store run with my daughter in AA. Very strange seeing joggers in short shorts and a light sweat shirt on Jan 8.

Goblue

Post Number: 900
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR & 7K: You're right...the AG cemetary was the scariest place in our Eastside realm...probably because it was the only cemetery that we had access to...plus it was CATHOLIC...which also was forbidden and unknown...SCARED the hell out of me at that age...a couple of times when we were late...and the sun was setting...I think I might have broken the olympic record for the one mile dash getting home before the ghosts got me...the older guys would scare the hell out of us.

Weird weather ya'll are having...hope that it settles down and that ya'll don't get the tornados that are in IL and WI. Our basic worries here are lack of water...and fires in the dry season.

Eastside61

Post Number: 726
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bay Area Weather at 9:30 PM 1/8/08.....

50 Raining 35 mph winds...........5 straight days of rain.....There is a guy in Prescott, AZ who will buy this bottled water.....we call it Kalamazoo Crystal Magic......

Only in the AG cemetery once .......

Goblue

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: High today 48...clear skies...brilliant sun...another boring day in paradise...we'll take all of the water we can get.

ES: Is that the time that you and SH were "studying tombstones"...or the time she was taking her vows?

Eastside61

Post Number: 731
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - We were being blessed by Father Wolverine......He brought all the Ripple and Annie Green Springs.........He said it would help us find the true meaning of our relationship......he was wearing a Denby letter sweater, too

Goblue

Post Number: 906
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We BOTH know what the true meaning of your relationship with SH was! By the way...let me know when you want older sis's phone number so you can call her to locate younger sis...time to step up!

Eastside61

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Wolverine - your turn to step up.....I would rather call Sheila!
We need to find a link to Mumford.....Jjaba????? even though he went to an Eastside HS!

Goblue

Post Number: 908
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My son...if you call Sheila I will do my absolute best to contact SR...deal?

Eastside61

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - What is her current married name??? Help!

Goblue

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: SF or SR?

Eastside61

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we need a link to Mumford! someone who remembers SF......Even your cousin Jjaba who lived in the Mackenzie area is clueless.....So it is over about the SF search.......just a memory now!
Sniffle sniffle......

Goblue

Post Number: 917
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Don't give up too easily...after all...we at least identified SJ...and...have the route to contact SH through her older sis if you really wanted to...to say nothing of the countless others in your past.

Eastside61

Post Number: 748
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Wolverine - Mumford......Mumford - Even Jjaba never ventured to the 7 and Wyoming area......at least a '61 yearoobk pic would be good.

Goblue

Post Number: 919
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Try Amazon or Ebay...somewhere I've seen a site offering old yearbooks.

Eastside61

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going with Jjaba......If he is truly Dr. Westside he will get it done...except he does not read this thread....