Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through January 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Barlow's...?

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Barlow's Diane '58 and jerry (jan '61) and the old man was one of the biggest racists that I ever met......really a whack job and scary to talk too......Barlow's lived on Somerset between morang and whitter.......jerry actually drove a '55 Ford black convert throughout HS......

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the Cadieux Cafe or Hunwicks Gas Station on Harper at Woodhall? How about Officer Sandy Roberts and his son Alex Roberts(mounted police). Are Cupids or K's still there?
Friday dances at Guardian Angel? Am I the only really OLD timer?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez.I hope the Cadieux Cafe is still there.........Its been a while (I'm in Farmington for the present time)...but still.an old Buffalo from way back..........(and mussel lover)

Goblue

Post Number: 913
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill: Cupids, K's, Hunwicks...all gone...along with the heart that was the eastside. I'm not certain about the Cadieux Cafe...it was still there the last time I was through that area in the mid-90's. KR might know...I think he makes nostalgic visits to the area from time to time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 746
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another chapter in the book......eastside eateries.......

Goblue

Post Number: 916
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right there with Kavan's Colony East...and a German place on Gratiot...can't come up with the name right now...plus Buddy's Pizza...to say nothing of the many little neighborhood bars that also served great hamburgers, etc....others?

Eastside61

Post Number: 749
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am wondering what the CSI sisters and all the others at the TC Book Seminar will want to add?????

Goblue

Post Number: 920
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These CSI sisters scare the hell out of me...I'm thinking about talking to RB about some facial alteration...and adopting a new persona...nothing worse than a woman scorned or forgotten...they tend to personalize every little thing.

Eastside61

Post Number: 750
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - They already know that you made a major mistake and went to the u OF m.....RB has repaired more women who have been scorned and few Guys who have scorned....You already look like Groucho....or Harpo.....so stick with what works for you!

Goblue

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My Groucho mask will be a hell of a lot cheaper than RB. Geez, if they consider a small thing like university choice to be a serious sin...what do they think about forgetting SJ?? Maybe I better rethink my attendance...although with a bunch of Greenies I figure a pitcher of Bud Lite will calm them down...besides...I'd rather be in TC in the winter...although MI skiing really isn't...I've crashed and burned for longer runs than the highest MI mound. Thinking Keystone this year...sure wish you'd clamp on a pair...I need a partner.

Eastside61

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Just talked with Maryland Moe (Brother) and we are discussing health issues, sailing and the TC trip......so don't bail just yet......as far as the CSI sisters....they have moved past the SJ fiasco you pulled........we could bring the GB lifesize cut out and stand it up at the pub and make a conference call to AZ.......

Skiing - Broke off left knee cap in 1970 here in CA and was advised by various DR's to only go to the lodge, but no further...

Goblue

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Not to worry about me bailing on TC...if the day comes that I can't charm, sweet talk and otherwise bedazzle a group of MSU-CSI...I'll know that it's time to hang it all up and check into assisted living!

Oh yeah...I remember now that you got knee capped...the word on the Eastside was that it was either ME or that SH finally caught up.

Trust that all is well in MD...I recall a health issue with your sis-in-law?

Eastside61

Post Number: 757
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - initially happened at MSU......details have been destroyed...health issues have hit all of us...ME, ES61, maryland Moe and Mrs Maryland moe......interesting! one of the things about getting older!

Goblue

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: This aging process is hell! Only one alternative and I don't like that one either!

Eastside61

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - party hardy......and don't get run over by a bus......

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and a German place on Gratiot...can't come up with the name right now"

Are you referring to Kragers(Gratiot & Rochelle) or Little Cafe (Gratiot & Barlow) ?

Goblue

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whit: Thanks...another piece of info added for the chapter on Eastside Eateries...it was the Little Cafe...my folks used to really like to go there...the food was good and the prices were right...my old man figured he'd been screwed if he had to pay more than $7.95 for a dinner...but then that was 30 years ago...he'd be rolling over in his grave (or figuring that he sired an idiot) if he could see the tab every time my wife and I go out to dinner.

Bill_rush

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe still going strong even with the feather bowling-see their website. Little Cafe was near or next to a tiny bowling alley on Gratiot. Courville Cafe on Harper had great fish and chips. I remember when Aldo's opened.The St. John Italian bunch really went big time for him.

Eastside61

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All - Go Blue took all....everyone of his four dates throughout high school to the DUCHESS........what a guy!

Goblue

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Duchess or a picnic "dinner" at the foot of Lakewood...aka a six pack of Stroh's and a bag of chips...then learned to cook and serve dinner at home...so much easier if someone wished to express her appreciation.

Bill_rush

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bowling alley was Klees, I think. Anyone remember a second floor bowling alley on Gratiot at 7 Mile? No one has mentioned the big bands at Eastwood Gardens. Too long ago?

Goblue

Post Number: 942
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill: I grew up a couple of blocks from Gratiot & 7 Mile in the 40's & 50's...no recollection of a second story bowling alley...Schoenherr's Bar, Cunningham Drugs, Florsheim Shoes, Tom's Barber Shop, Federal Dept. Store, Kresge, Woolworth, Monkey Ward's...and a few blocks north on the westside of Gratiot an army surplus store...those I do remember...still have a pair of pilot's sunglasses that I bought at the army surplus when I was 14...along with a hunting knife that I bought at Federal's when I was 15...and a putter that I bought at Ward's when I was 16.

Don't even recall Eastwood Gardens...where was that located?

Eastside61

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Eastwood park was located at Gratiot and 8....and the army surplus store was Epps.......

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Cafe(Gratiot& Barlow)had a few bowling lanes. The original Klee's was located further up the street at Gratiot & Seymour over with Remer's. In the 1960's the pro bowler Ed Lubanski bought Klee's and opened a new place on 6 Mile just east of Conner.

Goblue

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Eastwood Park...was that the same as Eastwood Gardens? There was a auto dirt race track located at that intersection...we could hear the cars some nights at our house a mile away. Yup...Epps...that's the name...I remember buying a bayonet there when I was about 12-13...used it to make a set of bookends in woodshop that I still have...imagine buying one of those things...and then bringing it to school today.

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think the Dance Hall may have been called Eastwood Gardens. They did have Big Name bands there back in the heyday of Eastwood.

The Race Track was Motor City Speedway, and it was at Eight Mile & Schoenherr.

You guys are really getting into the old days now, I'm Denby '53, and thought I was the only one remembering all that stuff.

Senior

Goblue

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior: Thanks for the update on the Motor City Speedway...we could hear them and watch the races on our B&W RCA TV in '51. My dad didn't want to buy one until they had "perfected the system"...he was the same way before he went to color.

I think you hold the record to date...I think Bill_r is '53 or '54...I'm '59...ES is '61...the rest of 'em are just kids...from the '70's, etc...they still paying into the social security system...thank God!

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motor City Speedway ....jalopy races were televised weekly ...Freddy Wolfe and Don Wattrick were the commentators....remember
Joy Fair was a top jalopy driver ...

Goblue

Post Number: 950
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Wow! Good memory! I remember Fred Wolfe but not the others. I recall midget racers, junkers...and I guess the forerunners of NASCAR...although for sure not at that level.