Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through January 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5953
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much on the Eastside, so many ruins.
jjaba wants to see where Diana Ross (Cass Tech.) and the Supremes sang on the corner, where Barry Gordy's family store was, and where Hudsons were made.
jjaba.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Did not realize that D. Ross was CT. Okay...yeah...lots of ruins on the Eastside...neighborhoods destroyed and abandoned...same all over the city.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5955
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana Ross, Cass Tech. Class of 1966.
Member, Cass Tech. Hall of Fame.

jjaba, CT class of 1959. (not in HOF)

Diana Ross may have been the onliest Eastsider in her class. It was tough getting into Cass back then. Maybe somebody can confirm this.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 766
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba / GB = I will take you both to the home of Marvin Gaye....actually in 68 he was still living with his mother on J side of town....I went to a party one night with a friend (she taught English at CT ) and her roommate worked at Motown so it as a very exclusive group....they were all there!
In those days I hung out in the Euclid / Clairmont area...I have other stories too.....interesting times......

" WE BIG....WE BAD....We Southeastern"....Eastside 61

Goblue

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: So...where the hell were you when I needed you? You could have talked me out of marrying SE'59!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: another great eastside memory....the Better Maid potato chip factory on Gratiot and French road. I'd always roll down my window just to get that potato chip smell as I drove past the factory with the conveyor belt in the front with all those chips

Goblue

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Yeah...that one is a good memory...the conveyor belt filled with chips. I assume that its gone now. Wasn't there a railroad track that crossed Gratiot at about that point...maybe just a little north...wonder where it went?

After WWII one of my uncles and his family lived in the quonset huts there were just south of the 15th precinct until they finally bought a home...he was a motorcycle cop with DPD.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wasn't there a railroad track that crossed Gratiot at about that point...maybe just a little north...wonder where it went?"

GoBlue, that track just past French Road is still there. Wonder where it went ? LOL. I guess you didn't go "slumming" down there much back in the day. I know that some people east of the airport sometimes looked down at those that lived on the other side of the airport.

Going south that track was used by the following to just name a few: Cadillac, Fruehauf, Mack Ave. Stamping(Chrysler), Budd Wheel, Vernor Tool& Die(Chrysler, Jefferson Ave. Assembly(Chrysler). Federal Mogul may have used it as well when they had the foundry on Shoemaker. Again, I'm sure that I am missing some places.

Going north the tracks made a turn west at Gethsemane Cemetary and continued on the south side of City Airport across Van Dyke and connected into the set of tracks around the Lynch Rd.- Mt.Elliot Chrysler plants. Lynch Rd. assembly for Plymouth, the Huber St. Foundry, Dodge Forge were just a few of the plants in that area.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on January 15, 2008)

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana Ross January Class of 1962 .. I've got the yearbook...
Me .... jaja January class of 1963

jjaba maybe you know Lily Tomlin class of 1958??

Jjaba

Post Number: 5960
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Props to Jaja. Diana Ross graduated Cass Tech. Jan., 1962 a semester ahead of her class.

Diana Ernestine Earle Ross, was one of six children of Fred Ross and Ernestine Moten.
Diana was born March 26, 1944 in Detroit.
Fred Ross also was a student at Cass Tech.

Glad for this correction. Thanks Jaja.

jjaba.

Jaja

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another titbit... Diana Ross was also voted 'best dressed' in that class...

What about Lily Tomlin ??.. 1958? 1959?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5962
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Jean Tomlin, AKA Lily, was born Sept. 01, 1939 in Detroit and graduated from Cass Tech., 1957. Her dad, Guy Tomlin was a factory worker and her mother, from Paducha, Ky, a nurses aide named Lillie Mae Tomlin.

Lily Tomlin is in the Cass Tech. HOF. She lived on the Westside.

jjaba, reporting this on the Denby thread because they love to read about Cass Tech. Westsiders.

Jaja

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were five of us Eastsiders who chose to go to Cass instead of Denby (from-Goodale Jr High)
3 became MD's
1 is an FDA spokesperson
1 is an auto exec.
... not bad eh??

Goblue

Post Number: 949
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whit: I don't know about "slumming"... personally, I didn't have any reason to be west of the airport...except for funerals...I think kid's boundaries were largely defined by high school attendance areas and churches...which was where the girls were...my grandparents are buried just west and just north of the airport...blanking on the names of those cemeteries...folks are buried in Gethsemane...across the street from where the 15th used to be. I assumed that the tracks led to some major industrial plants...but this Eastsider made a point of not walking on RR tracks to find out where they went. My folks would certainly have known where the tracks connected...both were lifelong Detroiters...my dad patrolled the Eastside...my mother worked at Packard Motor as a sect'y from age 16-19.

J: No question that the Detroit High Schools produced some outstanding people...I know of several Ph.D.'s from my class...a few M.D.'s...a Pharmacist...a couple of Engineers...one Veterinarian...more teachers than I could count...etc.,...my class of 25 from Columbus had 3 Ph.D.'s...2 teachers...a senior DFD exec...those are the ones I know of. Denby had some really outstanding teachers...it also had some incredible losers too...my hunch is that the selection process for CT teachers was more stringent....but, for the most part it was an excellent education...especially in the English Dept...that got me off to a good start.

Jjaba has a sardonic sense of humor!

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue: Mt. Olivet is north of the airport. Forest Lawn is west of the airport on Van Dyke up about 4 or 5 blocks from Lynch Rd. Figuring all the plants between Conner and St. Jean it stands to reason why those trains were causing traffic problems on Gratiot.

I guess schools and neighborhoods played a large role concerning places to hang around. I think some Catholic schools differed from public schools in that kids came variety of different neighborhoods. For instance De La Salle and St. Anthony had no parish restrictions for attendance. Students at St.Anthony that lived at 7 Mile and Van Dyke, Harper and Gratiot, etc. and same with La Salle. Point being students came from all over and were exposed to different neighborhoods. Warren & Outer Drive was a completely different world from Chene & E.Grand Blvd.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue: My mother worked at Packards too....and her father worked out of the 15th......

Goblue

Post Number: 951
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whit: Yup...those are the two cemeteries...my grandmother and step-grandfather are buried in Forest Lawn...my grandfather who abandoned his first family and had another on the Westside (of all places) is buried in Mt. Olivet. I don't remember ever being stopped by the train crossing Gratiot...just the tracks.

7&K: My mother would have been working at Packard Mo. around 1924-27...she dropped out of S.Eastern. when she was sixteen to support her mother and infant sister when her father abandoned them. My dad was at the 15th 1930-1950...before that he was at the 5th. He joined DPD in 1924 when he was 20...lied about his age...and lived until 1984...collected 34 years on that pension...a damn good deal for a guy with an 8th grade education. Another story of poverty and abandonment there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5965
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaja, welcome to The Forum. Your post #24 is a classic. Cass Tech. does a nice job, eh.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 952
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Do you have a thought about how teachers were selected to teach at CT...I have to believe that DPS selected the best and the brightest for CT. Denby had many great ones...and...a few real dogs!

Eastside61

Post Number: 769
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that the science department at SE in the mid 60's was one of the BEST....DPS knew what they were doing for those innercity schools.......Go Jungaleers...... another proud Eastside school that will be on the Jjaba's tour bus schedule....after we leave SE Jjaba you can start getting your first time fishing gear ready....I cannot believe how deprived you are...but we are here to help YOU! Your Eastside61 Brother..

Jjaba

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Tech. teachers are selected as the best Industrial Arts teachers in their field. They are seasoned professionals, who also went to college.

As for the academic core teachers, jjaba thinks they were probably as good as anywhere's else. Remember, you spend 50% of your day in your own curriculum.

Eastside61, jjaba agrees. He's gotta lot to learn, expecially about your Eastside. Definitely, pack a lunch and get gassed up for a long journey. Tires, check. Battery, check. Oil check. Clean windows.

jjaba, Cass Tech. Printer.

Goblue

Post Number: 955
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll arrange for a platoon of Marines to accompany us as we tour the eastside neighborhoods in armored humvees...Mapleridge was dangerous as hell in the 60's...what could it be like today? Fortunately Fordham no longer exists as a neighborhood...we'll be safe there...as has always been the case.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5974
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, jjaba is seeing a psychiatrist for confidence-building. When he gets well enough to chance a visit on the Eastside, he'll tell ya.
This is a monumental commitment, much like your foray into the Westside. Maybe we can do a home and home sometime.

jjaba, stay tuned.

Goblue

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Confidence is not needed...just body armor...but...we'll be with the former leader of the Mapleridge Mob...they ruled the N.E.side in the 50's & 60's...I suspect that many of the current members are his offspring...so...we'll be fine.

Home and home sounds good...so...what's interesting on your side of town?

Eastside61

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba's Eastside tour - Is currently being planned......I do know for sure that "J" Mr. Studly Westside Guy will get an opportunity to visit the St. Jean/Mack area...."J" you will be alone to shop or shop lift or just run for your life.....Even wearing the CORE pin will not work like it did 40 years ago....We (GB and myself) will be saying several Kaddish's for you and you can bring your mini Torah for help if needed...then we will head to the Southeastern / Foch neighborhood for other photo opts......Remember that the Mapleridge Mob Alumni Association will be hosting a luncheon in your honor at "Sinbads" which is still located at the foot of either Marquette or St. Clair - you pick which street you want to travel down as we head to the river.....Please feel free to google earth other eastside sites that are of interest to you.......All Photos of you on Fordham Ave have been taken care of from Fox Studios and the WMU DJ Clubs......You might want to bring your CT sweatshirt or other wear that shows your eastside existence.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5980
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside1, you are better than psychiatry.
He cuts to the chase, pack a lunch, bottle of water, and body armor.

Nice touch on the personal jjaba references except the Kaddish. That's a prayer for the dead. Oy veyesmere!

jjaba, trying to get up his courage.

Goblue

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allriiight...lunch at Sinbad's...now yer talking! Getting there is a little bit trickier but it can be done...just gotta drive like hell...and be packin' a 9...can't remember the name of the street but there used to be a sign pointing to the river. As I recall its not much to the East of where the submarine used to be docked...hence the locale for the midnight races. Some great times too, watching the summer roostertail races on the river down there.

Eastside61

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - be thankful for all prayers coming your way.....You will like Sinbad's.....It is located next to the old Roostertail Rest. and I do have some Southeastern HS faculty stories to share when the tour bus arrives......GB will be arriving via the Sub......because of his sub races and other activities in the late 50's have finally been recognized. Things are looking up for Jjaba.......I think he already misses the EASTSDIE......ha ha.....Jjaba? Did you ever drive a Valiant?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba did drive a 1964 Valiant, bought new, at the dealer on W. Seven Mile Rd. and James Cousins. What the hell, what else do you know about jjaba? This is disgusting. The Eastside has been lying in wait for jjaba.

jjaba, Proudly Westside, honorary Denby Tar.

Eastside61

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba - CSI Eastside solved GB's prom memory issues and now we have you in our scopes.......the only way out would be to move to the eastside.......that can be arranged.....YOU IN??????