Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through January 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba clearly has a hard drive full of info about the "other" side...who knows...Sheila might be in the data bank.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - J never ventured into the Mumford neighborhood as far as I can determine. He was certainly affected by his experience at the Eastside HS Cass Tech....but he has started to take cheap shots at the Eastside again.....We need J to make some choices about hangin' with the Eastside Brotherhood.

Goblue

Post Number: 928
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: AW...he's a good guy...just confused...I mean, after all a childhood on the Westside...even though he attended Eastside CT...could not have been a growth experience...so...I think it behooves us to be as concerned about the deprived...as he is about the depraved. A fishing expedition off of Lakewood would certain help...or as was possible in earlier days...a couple of days in an ice fishing shanty on the lake...driving out to a shanty and hearing the ice crack under the car was a religious experience.

Eastside61

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I predict that he will never meet us at the foot of Lakewood...I don't think he has ever seen L. St. Clair or the Det. R.

Goblue

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We could always just kidnap his ass and throw him in the river to see if he floats?

Eastside61

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB = Sounds biblical ...... he might like that!

Goblue

Post Number: 936
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We'd have to be certain to tie a rope to one leg...otherwise he could get caught in the current and end up in River Rouge...or worse...in Toledo.

Eastside61

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both places are considered WESTSIDE........He would fit in with no problem and is it true that Jjaba is actually living in Canada.....actually London Ontario??????

Goblue

Post Number: 939
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...not true...Jjaba is a Detroiter down to his plaid bermuda shorts, calf high black socks and wingtips...high fashion on the Westside!

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 14, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder is wonder boy "Jjaba"....which means star in the east....ever went to a park.....socialized with others......and what kind of format did Bronco radio let him spread??????? White Guy music??????

Goblue

Post Number: 945
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very definitely Jjaba socialized with others...especially female others...mostly townies but not exclusively as I recall. At WMU in the early 60's there was little else than "white guy" music...Kingston Trio, etc...Motown was just getting to campus.

Eastside61

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT? The westsiders probably listened to radio on the their crystal sets....and Mr. Core if he was so hip.....(Sure- he was...cough) should have been at DENBY High School dances that had Frantic Ernie Durham as the DJ......Cass being an eastside school I am sure was able to soak up the beginning Motown sound of the late 50's and early 60's as we did at Denby.....WCHB and WCHD were on my radio dial and listened toooooooooo

Goblue

Post Number: 953
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At WMU it was Wolfman Jack out of Chicago who provided the up to date sounds...the juke box in the union and campus WIDR were always a year or two out of date.

Goblue

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Just noticed that MSU is building a new art museum...have you donated your coloring books from your doc program yet?

Eastside61

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

California Western University took them away from me and put them in their museum for the three of us who graduated from this great institution....

Goblue

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to be a good tax write-off...still think you should have given them to MSU...they could have devoted a gallery to the works of a noted alum.

Eastside61

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CWU crayons were not even crayola's.....the cheap waxy kind that an aunt would give you for a gift.......I am searching for anyone who actually drove a Valiant????? Valiant Victor model.....two tone ...maze /blue...blackwalls......4 door...

Eastside61

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Your religious cousin J also drove a Valiant in the mid 60's....Whoa! You guys went to WMU......what other common things are the boys doing together?????

Goblue

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'm hanging my head in shame about that Valiant...can't believe that an astute guy like Jjaba drove one also...wonder what his excuse is...I was driven to temporary insanity by my pending nuptials.

Eastside61

Post Number: 784
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try to move it behind me so that I can reestablish my respect for a very insightful EASTSIDER.....I am driving an 07 Solstice Trubo because I have never left the 60's.....quick for sure and still getting 31 MPH.....

Goblue

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Right now I run around town in a '96 Miata while ST drives the Q45 to work, to play bridge, to shop, etc. (what's wrong with this picture?)... and the Ford 350 sits around waiting for work projects or hauling horses...The Miata rides like a '62 MG...not a bad little car for runs into town...but nothing I'd want to take on the interstate...have been looking at a Solstice...sounds like you like it.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I still had the 66 Corvair (thanks Ralph Nader for convincing GM to add the stabilizer bars....glad to be still living today)...air cooled, rear engine, with plenty of trunk space in front....My competition to 7K's 63 chevy impala convertible or DV's 69 trans am....Corvair wins hands down....what moxy!...The pride of Eastwood Avenue on the eastside. LOL

Goblue

Post Number: 968
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A '66 Corvair or a '68 VW...it took brass cojones to run around in one of those 'rods...no protection in the front...hit something and you ate the steering wheel...or shredded your face!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'63 Impala super sport convertible I'll have you know...mmmmmmmmm...mmmmmmm..32 7......didn't know a thing about engines but a bottle of turtle wax went a long way.....

Eastside61

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where GB goes and buys a VALIANT I decided that a Chevy II SS Stick convert might be able to compete with those wonderful Chrysler products....My mentor buys a Valiant......but I still trust him because he is a TRUE Eastsider......and a Man of Honor!

Goblue

Post Number: 970
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You were a young single dude...partying on the Eastside...seeking to win back SH...whereas I was trudging forward into the dark abyss of marriage to SE'59, a mortgage, kids...day in day out work...as Zorba the Greek said, "The whole catastrophe!"...in light of all that...a Valiant seemed logical. But...hope springs eternal...I see a Solstice Turbo on the near horizon. Thank you MI pension system!

Eastside61

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who does your taxes?????? I hope you pay him well....it is probably Jjaba the Westside Accountant.....

Goblue

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba is too caring a person to be involved with the IRS.

Eastside61

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than the eastside HS Cass tech...and all the westside mumbo jumbo.....all he can do is still ride the Dexter Bus and wish for the old days of living in 2 family flat and shopping on Livernois.....

Goblue

Post Number: 978
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: True...he hasn't yet been able to come up with an interesting Westside itinerary...you don't suppose that is because none such exists?