Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through January 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiders....didn't they also once in a while do some figure eight racing at MCS....and it was on early TV.....along with Soupy sales and his late night show.....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup...I remember figure 8 racing too...the forerunner of demolition derby.

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you guys remember going around car dealers on Gratiot and vicinity, when the new model cars came out (pre auto show days)... I'm trying to remember a Pontiac dealer on Gratiot between 6 & 7 mile and a Olds dealer on 8 mile just west of Gratiot...

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how 'bout Burke Pontiac.......and Key Olds (next to the Eagles Club........I'm still a member I think.

Goblue

Post Number: 957
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember any NEW car dealerships between 6 & 7 on Gratiot...that doesn't mean there weren't any...but I do remember many, many used car lots. I walked that route many times heading home to Fordham from either the Ramona, the library or from my job at Fox Studio. 7&K...do you remember a cross street for Burke Pontiac?

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Houston/Whittier..........E side of Gratiot...next to..........to...........a Sunoco station?

Goblue

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K...okay, yeah...now I remember Burke Pontiac...kept trying to think of it between 6 & 7 Mile.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It turned into Crest Lincoln-Mercury after Burke. I'm not sure whats there now

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burke Pontiac...right & Key Olds...they moved to
12 & Dequindre before shutting down a while back..

Eastside61

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sold an oil burning '54 ford (Bent cam and the noise was not to loud - well maybe a little noisy) to some used car dealership that had 57 50 watt bulbs hanging in front of a shed like structure.....For $90 bucks in 1964.....a very sad day for me but a great step forward for environmental causes. It was on the westside of Gratiot between 8 and 7 mile.....I later saw it a Eastland and was just amazed that it was still going.....

Goblue

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I traded my '56 Ford Convert for a new Plymouth Valiant when I graduated in '63...WHAT was I thinking!! Not a good year...married S.E.'59 at the same time...WHAT was I thinking!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valiant..... Valiant! wow....you are the first person I have ever known that drove a VALIANT......that is a real Wolverine Guys car...ha ha.....I can't stop laughing....valiant! wow

Goblue

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What in the world could possibly have been going through my mind? I mean...I sorta know what I was thinking regarding SE'59...it was the only way...sad as that is. But...to part with my beautiful oil burning, gas guzzling and memory filled Ford Convert...for a Plymouth Valiant...gag, gag...I have no idea what I was thinking. The only thing that I can come up with is that the world as I knew it was ending...graduation, marriage, job...and I...and I...WHAT in the world WAS I thinking?

Eastside61

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I think it was your beliefs in Eastern Religions that has helped you through the tough times...

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know there are some old f---s out there.GB- I'm surprised you don't remember Eastwood Amusement Park with great band stand aND DANCE area- pretty lax on drinking age- huge roller coaster and swimming pool.
I'm certain everyone remembers Wood Motors-VW and MB. Don Wood the founder and GM just died last year.

Goblue

Post Number: 967
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill_r: Yup, I remember the Eastwood Amusement Park but by the time I had wheels it was on its last legs. I remember being there a few times with a buddy. Don't recall ever going to the band stand. Certainly do recall Wood Motors...got my first VW there...a '68...no heater...God help you if you hit anything in the front end.

ES: It took Eastern religions, good mj and lots of Jack D. to get me through ten years of that marriage while driving the Valiant...what a catastrophe!

Eastside61

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will have to check with the CSI group to actually see if others purchased a Valiant......The Q 45 mentioned means you are a devoted husband.....I read that in the bible when Jjaba and i were at different religious camps to together......

Goblue

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was incredulous to learn that Jjaba also owned a new Valiant...for all of these years I have assumed that I owned the only one they ever sold...at least mine had 4 on the floor.

I dunno about devoted...the Q45 I mentioned means that ST generally refuses to drive either the Miata or the Ford...unless I have to go to PHX in which case she has no choice and generally opts for the F350. She claims that trying to get out of the Miata in a skirt entails a serious loss of dignity for a 61 year old woman. I love it...classy blond school psych having to wheel around town in an F350 dually! That happens once a month!

Eastside61

Post Number: 789
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You can post photos on this site......lets start with the Miata and i could share them with CASP - California Association of School Psychologists.

Goblue

Post Number: 971
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'll post a pic of the F350 dually...with the back window gun rack...wouldn't want her to lose her license...her income supports my lifestyle...and Solstice desires.

Rosemary
Username: Rosemary

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. I finally joined your site
after reading entries for years. Enjoyable
site. Goblue, I do remember Woods Motors,
on Gratiot. Got my first car there, a little
powder blue Karmen Gia. Loved that little
car, but had a lot of trouble with it.
I used to live on the east side, on Rosemary
between Dickerson and Outerdrive and went to
Denby too!
Good site and good memories here!

Goblue

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosem: GREAT to have you join us!! Be careful about anything ES61 has to say...he's an aging debaucher! The Gia was a great little car...saw one on the road here the other day. I would much rather have had a Gia than the '68 VW...but...I listened to SE'59...another mistake! There are a lot of restored vintage autos here in the desert. When did you graduate from Denby?

Eastside61

Post Number: 791
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Was working as a consultant for a local SDist. They needed a full time psych....for over a year and finally hired one.....184 days for $110....That was in early Nov. 07......mrs GB can send you postcards and some spending money.....you remember the concept of highest salary when it comes to retirement benefits......so you could add it to your 27 other retirement buy outs and trade in the Miata for a Turbo solstice....

Goblue

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: HOLY SH__!! She'll be there tomorrow...I'll tell her when she gets home from playing bridge but gotta find my body armor first! Are you renting out your guest room? I'll drive over on weekends.

Solstice hell...I see a Benz convert on the horizon!

There were only two buy-outs...I learned fairly early that if you pissed a bd of educ off enough they would pay big $$ for you to go away. Local control doesn't work!

Eastside61

Post Number: 794
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell her to google San Carlos School District.......I worked for them in Nov / Dec 07.....Pop 35000 In the mid area of the peninsula....hilly......Centra l Middle School was EXACTLY like columbus in 1960.....I told my daughter who is a psych about the position and what the school reminded me about...I thought I was in a time warp..... weird in some way after working in diverse schools for years.....I saw three black kids and 11 Asians.....It was so different that I even looked for Valiants parked on the street next to the school......we can always talk by e mail if necessary.....you can bring your horses and put them in my paddock.....later E61 YOUR FINANCIAL PLANNER>>>>

Goblue

Post Number: 977
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The truth is that ST has no interest in working more than two days a week...any more and it would interfere with her bridge and girlfriend lunch dates...can't say that I blame her because I don't even want to do that much...being on boards, while more frustrating, is also less demanding albeit financially non-rewarding.

Interesting that the school is a throw back time wise in terms of diversity. Like you, I wouldn't know what to make of a school or district like that...although, even as I say that...Huntsville, AL was 50/50 in the district...but there were schools that were easily 95/5...we were also under court ordered deseg and so had to deal with EEOC stories about which would take the next week or two to tell.

Eastside61

Post Number: 797
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - I understand and you are set......and the good life is in front of you......I do hope you survive the TC CSI "guest Speaker from Prescott" program......that one will be a real challenge.......maybe you should buy the first round.....this Valiant thing does not want to get out - Right????

Goblue

Post Number: 982
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah well...it ain't the Valiant thing that worries me...its the SJ memory...like I said much earlier...its been my experience that the ladies tend to personalize such slights and to shoot every guy in the room just to make sure they got the right one...howsomeever...being an Eastsider...I always sit in the chair closest to the door...I'm counting on my charm and smooth talking to get me out of this...its worked countless times before...I have the scars to prove it. When all else fails...beg for mercy!

Eastside61

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "OK" "OK"......the CSI women carry Glocks......that would worry me...and they shoot at the mouth area first than all lower mid sections......go figure! Who needs to talk anyways!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the auto repair (I think) building that blew up in the late 60's? on the west side of Gratiot across from Houston-Whittier?

I vaguely remember seeing bricks scattered all over Gratiot and it was rumored to be mob-related. I also seem to remember that the repair shop was owned by the Mike Dorian Ford dealership.