Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through January 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Omaha
Username: Omaha

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61. Is that when you graduated from Eastern? Eastern turned out great athletes in that era: a near 4-minute miler (the name escapes me), Reggie Harding (first high schooler drafted into the NBA), and a swimmer I knew named MacMillan (who I think owned city, state and later, at MSU, national records).

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5984
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, jjaba is pretty happy over here. The Westside has it all.

jjaba, Westsider on the Dexter bus.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - All What ????? Valiant memories and the Dexter Bus?.......As they say...."You comin' East Boy for the Tour?"

O - LIke my cousin Jjaba I am a graduate of a distinguished eastside high school.......That being Denby High....and where did you go to HS?????

Omaha

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have known, given the thread. DUH, MY BAD. The only person who I remember going to Denby was a kid named Vigliotti. He played football and is in real estate now. I knew him from spending my early years in the Indian Village. Haven’t seen him since the early ‘60s.

I wasn't in the Detroit area in high school. Moving around was very interesting. Lucky me, I got to spend 5 years in high school. Two years in the Buffalo area and then three more in western Massachusetts. I got to hear Tommy Shannon in Buffalo before he came to the Detroit area.

Likewise, I knew the MacMillan brothers who graduated from Eastern from the Indian Village in the late ‘50s.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey..you guys remember Bob Burnier,Mark Chi Teachers at Denby..65-84..I know these fellows well great people..

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omaha- Thats Tom Vigliotti, my father was good friends with his dad Ralph Vigliotti.

Omaha

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421 - Yep, Tom Vigliotti, thanks.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omaha-Tom has his real estate office on Harper service drive, west of Allard.east side bound

Eastside61

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler - do you remember a biology teacher Ron Mellon at Denby in the mid 60's

Eastside61

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all - Have yoo ever been in a Plymouth Valiant.????....they made exactly 5 of these.....It is known that a Cass Tech Grad who lived in the Mackenzie HS area was conned into buying one (But Westsiders have always had trouble making decisons) and a famous Eastside educator did purchase one (He also is in the witness protection program because of an Eastisde incident in the Hayes / Parkgrove area with the DPD)- so that is 3 others that maybe this forum might be able to locate....There is a rumor that one might be buried on the 20 yard line at the university OF michigan stadium....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that one was turned into a chicken coop on the MSU campus...right next to the hog barn.

Eastside61

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...I remember the "Chicken Coop"...It was the place where the university of michigan coed's (cough) went to stay when the Hog Barn was full of WMU womens weight lifting team members during track season...

Jjaba

Post Number: 5988
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does Cass Tech. have Astroturf?
So the Denby Cheerleaders don't graze on it at halftime.

jjaba, Westsider.

Goblue

Post Number: 976
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: We need to send you a pic of SR...lead TAR cheerleader and the love of my life for the summer of '58! You'll change your mind...trust me on this one.

ES: No, no...you're remembering the No-Tell Motel that was the all-campus sorority house right on the edge of the MSU campus...50 cents an hour...clean sheets extra!

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 19, 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5990
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SR? Bring it. jjaba forgot, it was the Aggie cheerleaders at State. They still got a lotta cows around there, eh.

It was all boys in the Cass Tech. Printing Dept. so it made you reachout to girls in Bio-Chem classes. Some of those Eastside girls were damn cute. It was those accents that made it difficult.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 979
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Go to the Archive thru Oct. 30, 2007 for this thread...about the middle there's a pic...SR is in the back row on the far left. ES's long time fantasy is the blond in the middle of the third row...but he had "relationships" with at least three in that pic that I know of!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5993
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like jjaba said, they were cute on the Eastside.
Thanks. What was this picture? A class photo?

jjaba's WMU roommate was the Howell, Mich. community photographer. He always had a lot of fun photographing girls.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 980
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: I worked at Fox Studio on Gratiot while at Denby and continued shooting weddings for them on an occasional weekend while at WMU. I also had a sideline shooting group pics which I sold for $1/copy...the one you saw is of a TAR sorority known as a social club since sororities were banned.

Great story about shooting a Rainbow Girls (pre-Eastern Star) installation for a girlfriend...didn't know that it was a secret ceremony with no pics allowed...a couple of the Shriner goons tried to take my camera away from me...was shooting with a Crown Graphic...think of old movies about reporters, etc...it had a flash attachment that held 4 D batteries...in other words it made a formidable weapon...I snapped it off the camera and offered to dent the head of the "first mf who touched the camera"...they backed off while I exited...end of relationship with girlfriend.

GoBlue...entrepreneur

Jjaba

Post Number: 5999
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue does have street smarts. Everybody in Detroit grows up with that. Goblue don't take any schitt from nobody, obviously. Not then, not now.
Goblue, Pure Detroit, pure Denby.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 983
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a million good stories about being a paid photographer on the Eastside in the 50's & early 60's.

Eastside61

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - did "J" print THOSE "other" photos??????

Goblue

Post Number: 986
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...J's skills lie in mass market distribution...the guy is a genius at delivering the market of the masses.

Eastside61

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the NE Shopper - GAngels News - Watch Tower - Gideon Bibles - Karl Rove fliers - Huckabee Constitutional Changes - DSR Maps Location of all EASTSIDE HIGH SCHOOL color maps Parade Magazine Bushisms and you say Genious! I am sure he is still using his valiant for delivery......

Wow!

Goblue

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You left out Bush's Bullshit!

Eastside61

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hope that J boy would never print any of the Bush propaganda - But westiside guys were always into Money first...

Jjaba

Post Number: 6001
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba musta missed somethin' walking home to his upstairs 5 room coldwater flat on Northlawn.
The serious money in Detroit was always on the Eastside, just next to the cute Italian girls and hard working Polish and Germans.

Last time jjaba looked, Grosse Pointe and Indian Village are on the Eastside hard by your yacht clubs.

jjaba, Westsider on the Dexter bus.

Goblue

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Mapleridge Mob had the corner on money laundering on the N.E.side...our 5 room, 1 bath, 900 sq.ft. house on Fordham was a tad less than top end...even for Fordham.

Eastside61

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mapleridge Mob's Estate was placed on a 40' x 100 lot.....three bedroom 2 bath....2 car garage.....we pretended that we were living in Grosse Pointe Park.....If the money was on the EAstside why is it now the biggest urban Prairie ....... Actually the $$$$ is still in the Northlawn area...get out the Map Jjaba and we can help you dig it up

Goblue

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say that the M. Mob had the corner on money laundering...and...backyard apple stealing...they were real big time hoods!

Eastside61

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The only thing that went down in the backyard was year around street hockey.......even when we were in college.....

What sports for you Jjaba "Printer Man" with eastern leanings...???