Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Granderson signs extension « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080204/SPO RTS02/80204033

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080204/S PORTS0104/802040441/1129

Yay! The Tigers secured my Tiger.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is WONDERFUL news.
I suppose Curtis must be thrilled; when he wakes up tomorrow morning, he can say to himself, "Hey!! I'm rich!! I really am rich!! Whoo-hooo!," and he'll be correct, but I have to say that I think the Tigers actually got away cheap, here.
That's a ton of money, but Curtis is worth even more than that.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3724
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy is going to have an amazing career!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose the Tigers could say to me, Wait a damned minute, we love Curtis, too, but that's a lot of dough for a guy who hasn't learned to hit left-handers yet.
Still, what a guy. On top of everything else, he appears to be a helluva gentleman; a credit to his parents, and to our baseball team. I don't think I could have an opinion, of Curtis, much higher than the one I have. I am absolutely delighted by this news, and speaking as the father of two young-adult sons, I can just imagine how Ma & Pa Granderson are feeling, about now.
That whole bit where Gorkys Hernandez and Cameron Maybin were traded (to the Braves and Marlins, respectively) almost certainly would not have happened if we did not have #28 roaming Center Field. Both of those guys may turn out to be really good players, but I doubt that they will be any better than the guy we've got.

Kiara
Username: Kiara

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great news.. curtis is a great athlete and human being

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7049
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Curtis Granderson will eventually be in a league with the likes of Steve Yzerman for Detroit sports- soft spoken, competitive, respected, eloquent, and be the face of the organization. Locking him up to this sort of contract makes sense and will be another piece in what we hope will be a long run at titles.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the reasons the Tigs were able to trade Maybin was not only Granderson's abilities but his persona and other qualities.

Granderson will be given every chance to be a life long Tiger in CF and I hope one of the most popular of the recent era.

To me, having Maybin around 'just muddled the waters'.

I did not look forward to the idea that somehow Leyland had to figure out how to play both Granderson and Maybin without diminishing Granderson.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4517
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the consensus of the thread; Granderson is a great player and person. For $6 Mil a year, I think the contract will turn out to be a steal financially.

Like Ravine says, he has yet to show he can hit left-handed pitching, but I think that is just a matter of time. His defense and base speed will compensate that deficiency in the meantime. If they are forced to pinch hit him, how nice it is to have Brandon Inge on the bench to bat and replace him.

This promises to be a very good year, with more to follow. By extension, this promises to be very good for downtown too, which is good for us all. Now if we could just get those Lions going...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the Lions going? I'll help them and Bill Ford pack their suitcases.

Then maybe we could attract a contender with Davidson, Illitch, or Karmanos!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: