Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Lary Sorenson... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080207/S PORTS0104/802070359/1004/SPORT S

Thank God this guy hasn't killed someone.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Holy Cow! That's another Budweiser grand-slam!"

-Harry Cary

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.48 BAC? Jesus. Anyone know how much beer that is?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a shit load

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just think of the great parties Steve Howe, Rick Leach and Sorenson had at UM in the late 70's

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is more sad to me then anything. I know his son who is a really good kid. Gotta be frustrating to see this.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umstucoach..I agree My Daughter went to MSU with his daughter..really nice kid...I feel for the both of them..He had the world by the balls and threw it away

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me where Lary Sorenson attended high school?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L'Anse Creuse

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.48 BAC? Jesus. Anyone know how much beer that is?

It's about 24.

Eastsiderules

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.He had the world by the balls and threw it away

Alcoholism is a disease. One that he apparently cannot conquer. Just an amateur opinion,but anyone with that level of alcohol in his blood may have been trying to pull a Leaving Las Vegas and drink himself to death.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 718
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still rather hear him on the radio than Jim Price even if he was plastered.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall, I completely agree. One of the only aspects, of the oncoming Tiger season, that I dread is knowing that I will be again subjected to hearing blockhead Jim Price. There was a time when I didn't too much mind hearing him, but his cloying, warm & fuzzy, quasi-homespun style has worn out its fragile welcome. It doesn't help, that he says the same shit all the time, in the same way, in the same situations, every fucking game. I think it is starting to infect Dan Dickerson, too; WXYT has a weekly show with him and Dan Petry, and the show is virtually unlistenable thanks to the fact that it is aggressively soft, if such a thing is possible.
As for Lary, I enjoyed his work on the broadcasts; when I learned that he was not going to be involved anymore, there was no explanation for his departure, and if drinking had anything to do with it, it didn't show on the air.
On another note, if Eastsiderules is correct about the .48 translating to 24 beers, I am neither proud nor ashamed to admit that, during my drinking days, I probably have reached that level, although I would have been home for the night well before.
Although, there was a time when I was chugging Southern Comfort (bleaacchh) straight from a pint bottle while driving around. I was, probably, way the hell over that .48. That didn't turn out so well. The officer who stopped me-- and delivered me to jail for the night-- may have saved my life and the lives of who knows who else.
I have been in some pretty dark places, by way of alcohol, and I feel real bad for Lary Sorenson. I hope he finds his way out of his dark place. One thing I know for sure is that it is really, honest to God, never too late.

Eastsiderules

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been in some pretty dark places, by way of alcohol, and I feel real bad for Lary Sorenson. I hope he finds his way out of his dark place. One thing I know for sure is that it is really, honest to God, never too late.

many of us have. Thanks for your admission Ravine!

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of sounding way too mysterious, I will say that several years ago I was working on a story, completely unrelated to sports or Sorenson, that inadvertently brought me in touch with Sorenson's family background. At the time Lary was pitching for Milwaukee, so this had to be in the late 1980s. The story was to have run in the Sunday magazine of one of the Detroit dailies but was killed by an upper-level editor. I've always believed Sorenson's drinking was his way of coping with it. I wish him well -- he seems a genuinely nice guy -- but on the other hand, I don't want some idiot blowing .48 BAC running a red light and killing my daughter, or anyone's daughter. Until he can somehow sober up, we're all a little safer where he's at.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not only does .48 = 24 beers - one would have to consume that much alcohol in one hour! no doubt, it must be a horrible existence to be that out-of-control.

and hey, sorry, i very much enjoy dan dickerson and jim price. they are informed, articulate, and their love and knowledge of the game and its players really comes through. and, they help people understand the game, like why is that guy hitting the ball with his bat. now, mario impemba and rod allen? i find them insufferable - especially with mario's obsession with "this batter represents the tying run," "the typing run's in the on-deck circle," "the go-ahead run's in the incubator," etc. in fact, i think someone must have said something to him because he abruptly quit doing it so much near the end of last season.

but, i just remembered...i'm starting to tire of dickerson and price flattering the other team so much when the tigers lose...and lose...and lose...

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: