Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through January 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Your Bronco cousin's history of when he left Motown is not known to me......He resides in West Bloomfield.....????? Farmington ????? He is still printing low budget pulp??? He is lost on the Dexter Bus and cannot get off????? he owns a home on Chandler Park Drive under an assumed name?????

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 981
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'm thinking that Jjaba is on the Detroit version of the MTA...the Dexter bus...if he lost his transfer ticket he may never get home. Personally, I think he lives in Grosse Point Park as part of the Westside witness protection program...is there a statue of limitations on vandalizing restaurants no matter how good the cause? Plus...I heard that he was instrumental in having a dean of men fired while he was at WMU...I was too busying studying and preparing for the future to be fully aware of such goings on.

Eastside61

Post Number: 800
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The CSI group has investigated "J" and the GPP residence is confirmed.....they are working on a new set of clues that DEVILS NIGHT burning of buildings was the brain child of "J"......Those Cass Pyro Tech HS programs which existed behind Printing curriculum should have been shut down.....other rumors: "J" the wanna bee Eastsider actually drives Bus# 4306 on the Dexter line....

Goblue

Post Number: 985
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Bus driver on the Dexter line...that would explain a lot of things...J had a sideline at WMU of driving attractive coeds back to D on the weekends...obviously if he used a bus the profit margin would have been significant. Didn't Valiant also make a mini-bus?

Eastside61

Post Number: 803
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So he would take the Temple Bus and tell his rabbi that it was being used for westside activities.....slip on the DSR Dexter sign and drive it to WMU.....since no WMU coed would hang with the "J"... these must have been coed's who were trying to get into Livernois University prinitng programs.....

Goblue

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep tellin' ya...it was the MSU coeds that had a real thing for us Broncos...they kept referring to some sort'a deficiency on their own campus...we figured it musta been the salt peter they put in your mash potatoes.

Eastside61

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Only know one individual who went to WMU other than you and Dexter Bus Driver.....I think actually MSU coeds felt sorry for you who went to WMU and but they would never travel west to K....

Goblue

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever...we were more than happy to accept their expressions of sympathy!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unidentified man

All: Let's return to a little nostalgia: Above is a picture of a man who always walked back and forth on Eastwood to shop on Kelly Rd. He never drove. He may have even lived on Saratoga or Morang. He usually wore a suit and was very popular with the kids on Eastwood....He always had a smile and would engage in conversation. For the life of me I can not remember his name. 7K, I know he was around during your era. He might been around during ES's era. The shot was taken in Eastwood near Redmond looking east (late 60s).

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep.......didn't he live 2nd house off rex.........on your side your block?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K,
Nope. He lived somewhere near Morang. I don't think it was even Eastwood but he would cut down Eastwood since it was the shortest distance to Kelly Rd. The people that lived near Rex had an Italian last name (I might just have to find my old route book to find their name....only 3-4 houses from where ES once resided)

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES?........

Eastside61

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think his first name was Eugene......????

Goblue

Post Number: 997
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm...funny...I thought his name was Edward...the hat is a dead giveaway!

Eastside61

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Ok OK....You win! and I still have the tie but the hat was sent to a director of an Arizona Educational Non-Profit consulting firm.

Goblue

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You're right...the Leadership, Evaluation and Training Services Group held a benefit dinner with a silent auction...I think our CFO told me that the hat brought in $.16...we advised the IRS of your contribution.

Eastside61

Post Number: 817
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Is it true that one of the founders of LETS was Harold Hammond? Was the $.16 in US dollars? You will Never get the tie! so quit begging for it.......NO! The tie is mine! Clip ons are difficult to come by...

Goblue

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: HH was dead and gone by the time LETS became a Fortune 500 consulting firm with worldwide clients. Best that you keep the tie...or send it to the Smithsonian!

Eastside61

Post Number: 820
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - sorry to hear about the passing of a true educator Harold Hammond. I thought that he died the day before he wouldn't sign my MSU application for Spring '61..I will offer you the tie for the TC CSI reunion.....and please do not "ralph" on it as you have been known to do when your are surrounded by MSU foxes.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Surrounded by MSU and WMU foxes is part of my resume...trust me...the Eastside charm and sophistication will be present.

Eastside61

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I can't wait to see the Fordham Master in action........and here I was wondering if they would even talk to you.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Flowers and some Godiva chocolates go a long way...along with a little Southern drawl acquired during the Alabama years...'n some sippin' whiskey.

Eastside61

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MICHIGAN STATE 72 michigan 63 Cass Tech 0

Goblue

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, 7K, Flanders...anybody...HELP!! ES is off his meds again...he keeps writing numbers that don't make any sense...please get us back to the old man on Eastwood.

Eastside61

Post Number: 827
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a weekend! The Eastwood Old Man was right........We Big We Bad and we be green and white....Ooooooops....CT is green and white , too.......Jjaba will like it
Keep PRINTING those scores Jjaba......72 - 63 - 00

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my dad called him "Emil the Buffalo"........"buffalo" referring to anyone of
Belgium decent

Goblue

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup...the folks who owned our neighborhood grocery store...at the corner of Eastwood and Celestine were the Briggees (sp?)...they were referred to as the Buffalos in the pre politically correct days. Mr. Briggee kept a coop of racing pigeons above their garage...one day I found one of his pigeons (identified by the leg tag) tangled in some vines in the alley behind our house...I took it back to him and he gave me a single-dip chocolate ice cream cone. I'll never forget their display case of penny candy and the time spent trying to decide how to spend three cents. They were good people who could tell me how my sister who was eight years old came running to tell them that I had been born. It is so sad that such a sense of neighborhood has been lost from our society.

I'll bet that "Emil the Buffalo" frequented the Cadieux Cafe.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB,
Another chapter in the far eastside book...What happened to the corner stores? The store on Macrary and Faricrest was a stopping point before delivering the News. Stores on Hayes and Saratoga, Chalmers and Mapleridge, and several others dotted the neighborhood west of Hayes and east of Chalmers. East of Hayes had fewer stores. Of course the opening of Chathams and later 7 eleven along with the mass exodus to suburbia aided in the demise of our beloved stores. Those stores were first opened when public transportation was the only way to get to a bigger store and refrigeration was relatively new. Along with the corner pharmacy and local tavern, the general stores are just a footnote in nostalgia yet, as GB suggested, gave a sense of neighborhood.

All: What was your or your families' local corner store, favorite tavern, and/or drugstore?
Mine: George's party store (Moross/Kelly) or if adventurous the 7/brock store (this was for buying pop and/or candy), Regal drug later Revco Drugs on 7/Hayes. Bar..Jay's Paper Station on 7/kelly

Goblue

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhood stores, the neighborhood bars, the neighborhood pharmacies...these were the anchors of the Eastside and in truth of our society...my dad's favorite bar was Schoenherr's on the south side of 7 Mile between Gratiot and Chalmers...I remember sitting at the bar with him when I was maybe eight while he sipped a draft and I enjoyed my orange soda. I'm not certain why he preferred Schoenherr's...the Cozy Corner on 7 Mile at (the next street east of Celestine?) was closer...maybe he got a free beer for being a cop...I dunno.

There was a store at the SE corner of Hayes and (I think) Faircrest...the Unruh's owned it...their son Norman was a friend of mine...their garage had a basement...it must have been a barn or something in earlier days. They moved to Florida before we moved on to Denby.

All of these places though were social/community centers. The owners knew their customers...my folks had a credit line at the grocery store that was kept in a book behind the counter.

The first supermarket I remember was Big Bear...I think somewhere near 7 Mile just west of Gratiot. KR is right...refrigeration and the common ownership of cars after WWII made the transition possible. Before that we walked to the store...sometimes pulling my wagon...and waited for the ice delivery guy with his horse drawn wagon to come by...sometimes he'd give us a chip of ice to suck in the summer...this was all in the late 40's.

Eastside61

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the Green Oaks Bar on the corner of Morang and Harper at the X way????????? How many chapters do we have now Father Banana Head?