Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through January 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone remember the auto repair (I think) building that blew up in the late 60's? on the west side of Gratiot across from Houston-Whittier?"

Was this the place around Gouldburn ? I thought it was a motorcycle shop. In terms of who was involved with that situation, those were not rumors but facts. I believe the first incident took place in 1964 when the car blew up on Gratiot as an alleged organized figure attempted to start his car.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on January 20, 2008)

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was a motorcycle shop,I was in my early teens when that happened, and don't remember it well, just the flattened building and the bricks.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my memory of that it was a car wash.......I remember me and the boys were having a "sleep out" in my backyard when about 1 or 2 in the morning we heard this "BOOM" off in the distance..........and rode our bikes the next day in that direction

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 984
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My recollection is also that it was a car wash...that it blew up in the middle of the night but that no one was injured...and the rumors were that it was mob related...I'd have been in my early 20's at the time...it sure wasn't the Mapleridge boys that did it though...they were more into stealing apples from backyard trees.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apples!.actually the Mapleridge Boys had a deal with the local scout troop 706....who sold them in the St. Jude Parking lot on sunday mornings and would turn over 80 cents on the dollar to the Mapleridge Boys.....This Fordham troop leader thought that he as soooo cool with this deal....I think he eventually became a plumber in one of the first roto rooter type businesses....I think it was called Reynold's Rooter.....

Goblue

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw...706 had the corner on hot nuts. We drove up and down the streets with a loudspeaker advertising hot nuts...the younger kids hawked door to door.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of hawking door to door, one day my younger brother and I, along with two friends who were also brothers, and lived on our block, were playing in Flanders field, and came across a bag filled with unused trading stamps and their paste in booklets.

The older neighbor brother came up with the idea of trying to sell them, and we began going door to door to the houses on that block, and tried to convince the homeowner to buy some.

We actually did manage to sell some, but it probably wasn't because they really wanted them, more likely it was because they thought we four young boys ranging from about 6 to 10 years of age, needed candy money.

Anyway, we had covered about four blocks or so, when a young woman and her husband invited us to sit on their front porch after hearing our sales pitch, and gave us some milk and cookies. After about ten minutes passed, a police car drove up to their house. It turned out that her husband was an off-duty cop, and they had decided to put the kibosh on our brief trading-stamp sales business.

The two policemen made us get into the patrolcar, but my brother, who was all of 6 years old, became frightened, refused to get in, and ran down the street. One of the cops yelled and cursed at him to stop, and chased him down.

We were obviously too young to be arrested, so the cops told us that they were going to take us home, and tell our parents what we had been up to. Fortunately for my brother and I, their first stop was at our friends' home, and unfortunately for them, both of their parents just happened to be outside in the front yard when we arrived. Their parents were of course, quite upset to see both of their sons getting taken out of a police car.

One of the cops asked me if we lived there as well, and I said yes, so they released us. As soon as the cops left, my brother and I took off for home. Our parents never found out, as our friends' parents for some reason, never told them about it.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on January 21, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It got so bad around 1959 that the DPD was talking about putting in a sub=station on Fordham around Celestine because of by the White Ford Gang......These guys were really bad news!

Goblue

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders & ES: This is further proof that the DPD was an anti free enterprise organization...it reminds me of the time that they shut down my import business...the profit margin on resale of firecrackers from Ohio was approximately 300% until they confiscated my entire inventory and knocked me on my ass with a slap to the head. ES gets away with violating the youngest daughter of a DPD with a rebuke and an honest businessman like myself is penalized...there was NO justice.

Eastside61

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb- The DPD thought that you were a Republican.....and only one shot to the head......You should have gone into the consulting business where one makes more than the 300 % from Ohio Safe and Sane Fireworks.....(cough)

Goblue

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You're right...the officer in question never gave me a chance to offer a logical explanation...it was one clip to the head...picked up by the shirt and banged against the side of the car...he'd discovered who my father was...and asked me if I liked to have him drive me home to explain to my dad...I didn't say a word...just shook my head. It was the loss of my inventory that really hurt...about $100 worth of cherry bombs, hammerheads, sky rockets, etc.

Eastside61

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You were "Lost for Words" when picked up by your shirt? .....this cannot be true. How is your fireworks business doing in AZ? When can I place my 08 order????

Goblue

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sadly, with the total loss of inventory and the threat of jail time Fordham Fireworks, Inc. declared bankruptcy and has gone out of business. So much for free enterprise!!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the DPD frowned on any type of youthful entreprenureship involving sales unless it was by the very low profit margin of selling from a makeshift lemonade stand in front of one's parent's home.

Such discouragement obviously deprived the D of future business run in the city by those same harassed children, who merely wished to learn how to become self-sufficient, instead of resorting to selling drugs and/or joining marauding gangs. They eventually became adults and left for greener pastures, and as a result the DPD's shortsightedness contributed to Motown's current abject conditions.

Eastside61

Post Number: 816
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F-Fields - I do have the DPD "wanted" poster of GB....... He really looks scared, especially the profile pose.....

Flanders_field

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did GB manage to elude the long arm of the law, and how long has he been on the lam?

Does the poster offer a reward for information leading to his arrest & conviction?

Why does he look scared?

Goblue

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & Flanders: The pic referred to was taken shortly after SJ told me that we were expected...I heard "might be expecting"...I thought the worst which was enough to strike fear in the bravest of TARS.

Plus the good officer scared the shit out of me with the threat of my father...it didn't seem prudent to start yelling about police brutality! Fathers on the eastside had a simple motto..."Do what you do...but don't bring the police home!"...in my case it was "don't bring one of my partners home!"

The statue of limitations has long run out...but even if it hasn't a good friend in the Bay area has offered to do a cut rate facial alteration...says he can make me look like an E brother!

While we're speaking of fear...we should ask if ES still has the yellow socks and high top canvas Keds caused by SH delivering a similar message to him a month or so after their basement tryst?

Eastside61

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The unwritten Eastside motto was for sure - "Rock and Roll BUT don't bring Detroit's finest home and NO phone calls" ES made it through Wayne County but was shot at twice in Alcona County in '58........very close call and scary night!
GB - When we are visiting AZ and since a former Tar did your face who should we look for - Soupy Sales?- Howdy Doody? Pee Wee Herman? Boris Karloff? Scooby Do? or Trigger?

Goblue

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well actually, RB assured me that I would look no worse than one of the E brothers if such alteration became necessary.

Eastside61

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - So glad that RB has finally done the makeover....with your princeton I still think that Pee Wee herman is a great western states look that you would like.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The way I heard the story about Alcona County you had it comin'...that her daddy caught ya'll virtually buck neked! Never the less...glad he missed.

Eastside61

Post Number: 825
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alcona Co. News - Buck shot for sure but not buck naked

Michigan State University 78 uOFm 63 Cass Tech - 5

Goblue

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The same nonsensical numbers...I have no idea what they could mean!

I'll bet that the Alcona County sheriffs blotter tells a different story...I sure hope she was older than SH!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From about 40 yards was this reply to the Question - "Anyone home?" which was shouted out of a car window......Ya! you god damn son of a bitches....then a shot...( one then moves below the window line - learned Eastside behavior) and then a second shot...and then the car stalls......more later....

Does the Prescott Star Journal have a sports page.....but if you missed it....MSU 78 uOFm 13 and they will play on one more occasion....How Sweet it is Holy Father Bananahead!

Goblue

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sorta reminds me of the grasser at Bloomer State Park...probably 200 of us drinking beer and having a good time...three or four State Police cars pull in with lights flashing, sirens, etc...everybody scatters...I'm running for the woods with a buddy...cops fire shots...I assume in the air...we went to the ground and crawled the remaining 50 yards...got back to our car...alls well that ends well...we encountered a couple of sweet young things that we didn't know who'd been separated from their friends and needed a lift back to the Eastside.

And yes, the local paper reports sports...the Coyote victory over the hated Sharks was well covered!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What.......Sharks play in Edmonton on Tuesday night.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coyotes kicked Sharks butt...a couple of weeks ago...just think what the Red Wings will do to 'em!! So much for expansion teams!

Eastside61

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - While you are expanding your brain....the SHARKS remain in first place in the Pacific Div.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Like I said...expansion division...roughly comparable to the Heilmann Center teams of '58-'59.

Eastside61

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH my god! What if AAE and JC are in TC visiting her grandmother in July....I can't wait to see who survives the hip check or forearm from JC v. gb heilmann pick up squad....

What a great YouTube video.......