Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through December 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd, goodthing you said that, i wanted to check that out, might be gone from detroit yes for awhile give ya,ll a break from the reddog.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where you goin?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: Does DFD still have ladder trucks that have tillers? I haven't seen any in a long time.

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936: Yes there are still 4 tillers in service they are assigned to Ladder Co's 8,20,21 & 25 Two Pierce (8 & 25) & Two American LaFrance Rigs (20 & 21).

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know who squad 7x is running for in the 7th battalion? Ladder 22???

Lansingfire

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, who staffs the Hazmat rigs at the Waste Water plant?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Maddog. I guess they're becoming antiques any more.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don,t wanna sound like kramer from seinfeld, but i wanted to be a tillerman when i grew up, heard the sirens, hopped on my bike to joy rd to watch the ladder truck, only 4 left? i last saw one about 10 yrs ago in the middle of winter, didn,t envy the tillerman one bit.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they (tilers) are a dying trend, they have the need in those tight areas. However, it is a manpower problem with being an extra "driver" when there could be a shortage of qualified guys to drive. We will see soon since other then a platform they are the oldest trucks.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone know who squad 7x is running for in the 7th battalion? Ladder 22???

Yes, that is Ladder 22. I don't know what happened to L22's rig.

quote:

Also, who staffs the Hazmat rigs at the Waste Water plant?

Members of our Hazmat team.

quote:

i last saw one about 10 yrs ago in the middle of winter, didn,t envy the tillerman one bit.

The tillermen don't have it as rough these days -- they sit in an enclosed cab which has a diesel-powered heater. I couldn't find a photo of one of ours, but they're similar to this one:

quote:

I don't think they (tilers) are a dying trend, they have the need in those tight areas. However, it is a manpower problem with being an extra "driver" when there could be a shortage of qualified guys to drive. We will see soon since other then a platform they are the oldest trucks.

It was a big undertaking by our Training Academy but everyone is a certified driver now, so that shouldn't be a consideration anymore. I don't know what plans the department has for tiller rigs in the future. It would seem essential for Ladder 8 to have one, as there are some pretty tight turns in their district (Southwest).

Ray1936

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You smoke eaters will get a chuckle to know that one of the "hot stove questions" among trainees in the Police Academy is the following situation.

A hook and ladder truck with a tiller is responding to a fire. Making a turn, the tillerman misjudges the turn and strikes a parked car with the back end of the rig. The question becomes, in making the accident report, who is responsible for the accident: The rig driver or the tillerman?

The answer? The driver. He is the one powering the vehicle. Of course, the tillerman is still gonna get his ass chewed out by his chief...... :-)

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waste Water Treatment plant Haz-Mat is staffed with DFD firefighters on overtime paid by the water board....

Lansingfire

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, my friend, it's NEVER a fire fighters fault. They owner of the parked car is totally at fault for parking in the way of the fire truck.

Example:

Lansingfire

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of tillers, I have this photo cir 1920's DFD anyone want to make a guess as who it is? I have been over it with magnifing glass and can't find a number.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray, my friend, it's NEVER a fire fighters fault."

Oh, no argument there. The question is merely rhetorical.

By the way, the fire house at W. Grand Boulevard and McGraw had better coffee than Starbucks. We'd sometimes babysit the place when it was empty on a run. Nasty neighborhood, even back then.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, you asked whose fault it was for the tiller striking a parked auto going around the corner. It the fault of the owner who parked his vehicle too close to the corner. I believe the Mich Motor Vehicle Codes states 30 ft from an intersection and thats usually back up by local ordinance and regardless, the tillerman is still gonna get his ass reamed by the Batt Chief and HQ.
Although when "The Hub" was still our Mayor, anyone who had an accident with any city vehicle, regardless of fault, paid for the damages out of pocket

Dfd

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures and info!
There are some photos of tillers in action on "firehouses 3" of this thread.
Is that ladder truck parked in front of a one or two bay firehouse?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing about that car with the hose through the windows, Lansingfire. It has a California plate.

Out here in Nevada, every time I note a driver doing something really dumb, the car has a California plate.

Eaglelv
Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here know a Capt Mulford or Sgt Dimarco?

Dfd

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case you haven't already seen it (I hadn't),here is a video with fire footage from the 1967 riot.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/pl ayerIndex?id=3418195

Lansingfire

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad video, thanks for posting.

Dfd

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroitteacher, how's your dad? Haven't heard from you for a while.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's doing great! Surgery went well and he's back to his old self :-)

Have a safe holiday season!!

Dfd

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas everyone! Stay safe.

Dfd3117
Username: Dfd3117

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas! Come see The Memorial Rig at the North American International Auto Show.
Gave the FireBrat shirt design to our shirt guy and never heard back will contact him again.

Dfd

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the t shirt update!

Dfd

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a video from a warehouse fire.

Detroit FD

Lansingfire

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, an oldie but a goodie. Bread boxes for the squads. The tiller with the american lafrance (may be) cab.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD3117: Welcome to the forum. I was wondering what happened to the shirts!! I have a few folks who are waiting patiently for theirs (most are brats who have moved out of state).

Dfd

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another one I just saw.

fire video