Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Difficulty figuring out a new ballpark « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 573
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll count myself among those who ask: "Why can't engineers figure out things like wind patterns, glare, etc. for new stadia. After all NASA can do that for space crafts.

Here is a long quote from Nationals Jim Bowden re: wind at his new ballpark and trying to make a priori guesses at the Cincy ballpark.

Turns out a losing effort.

BTW, there is a building boom around the new Nationals stadium so indeed strange changes. I work in downtown D.C. and we have bad 'wind tunnels' (gets annoying during winter).

Anyway, Jim Bowden:

""You can have theories all you want," Bowden said. "I went through [a similar] situation in Cincinnati, where eveyrbody had a theory and there wasn't a single person that said a little fly ball in shallow right-center was gone, and every fly ball in left and right down the line were gone. You couldn't calculate that. They did wind studies, and they were all wrong. Every single one was wrong. We're not going to know til we get there.

"I think it's changing. Every time a new building is built around that ballpark, I think it affects it. There are a few times I've been there when the wind comes in from left field, swirls around a little and goes out to right-center. Is that going to happen when the season starts? I don't know. But I know it's going be more hitter-friendly than RFK. I also know it's going to be pitcher's park. It's certainly not a Philadelphia, Cincinnati or Wrigley Field bandbox. We're not going into that, and we're not going into [another] RFK. So it's going to be balanced, and I think it's probably going to lean towards pitching."

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ball Four.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was Jim Bouton

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. Half awake on a Sunday morning. Should know Jim Bouton is not running the Nationals. The Ball Four comment still applies to the quote though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.