Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through February 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6096
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only no socks but loafers with those lawyer tassels. The Rock claims that GP is a boating community, therefore puts their silly ways on to us, the most notable with cigars at Tigers games after a hard day at the office downtown. Strictly by bias and rumor, I assumed it wasn't a look of the Eastside. The shoes accompany the pink Polo golf shirts, a real sight.

No, jjaba would rather not wash up at the end of his life at the US Rubber brownfield lot, East of the Belle Isle Bridge.

jjaba, Westsider, honorary Denby Tar.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6097
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Detroit River frozen over, how is rumrunning going on the Eastside? What kinda cutter do youse guys own?
jjaba.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a girlfriend at Denby...her father owned an ice boat...he took me out for a ride...took it up on two runners...we're going like a bat out of hell across Lake St. Clair...scared the living shit out of me...I took his point..."Mess with my daughter and you'll die."...I quit dating her! Ya gets across the lake in the winter on an ice boat...hoping the ice breakers haven't kept a lane open.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 882
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Just wear those velcro big boy shoes that your children gave to you for your birthday because of those arthritic hands that are a results of delivering all those newspapers during those tough winters in the 50's.....As for GB I hope he can remember the name of the Iceboat girlfriend.....which is a problem he has been suffering from since the 59 DHS prom......

Jjaba

Post Number: 6102
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much Vitalis/Brylcream did he wear on the duck tail doo that night?

Eastside, believe it of not, no velcro shoe tie downs yet, but they do look inviting.

Carrying 60 newspapers on a bike through snowstorms brooks no demeaning. jjaba is before widely owned tvs, when a newspaper was important.
Imagine trying to find out that Teddy Rosevelt stormed San Juan Hill in Cuba without jjaba.

jjaba, LOL.

Eastside61

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: You still need to get back into the Mumford neighborhood and find Sheila! A true westsider and Technician with class would get on it for his eastside brothers who have extended to you a real experience coming up this summer......

Goblue

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & Jjaba: I do recall her name...and I trust that the brown streak I left across the ice that day has long since melted and floated down to Toledo.

As for the Vitalis...as I recall it was a bottle a month...I'm embarrassed to admit that!

As for delivery of newspapers...those of us who struggled through wind, rain, and snow...to deliver the daily and weekly news were cousins to the mail delivery folks who set the standard.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6106
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brylcream, a little dab with do you.
We had that natural look over on the Westside.

So tell us, what pro teams are most popular on the Eastside or are they evenly divided?

On another thread, there as this gibberish about half-mile roads. As far as jjaba knows, nobody on the Westside would call Puritan, Tireman, nor Curtis Rd., "Half-mile roads." What about Eastside?

jjaba standing at Six and Wyoming.

Goblue

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jj: Vitalis!! Not Brylcream!!

I lived and died with the Red Wings...to this day baseball is my favorite although I'm on the verge of giving up with the latest steroid thing. The NFL has always bored me. Thank God I grew up in the golden age of Mickey, Willie, and The Duke. I have a ball autographed by those three. I also have a HOF collection of about 120 autographed balls from that era...plus about 30 Tiger team balls from 1934-1993...including all of the World Series teams.

Half-mile roads? Never heard of 'em...SixNichols...7Moross... 8Mile-Baseline ... no such thing as half-miles.

7 & Gratiot...as good as it gets!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1/2 mile rds???
Nevada (6 1/2), State Fair (7 1/2), Toepfer 8 1/2 in East Pointe), Stephens 9 1/2, Frazho (10 1/2..Roseville)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6109
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So find me one person who calls Nevada, 6 1/2 Mile Rd. Nobody. Where in the suburbs 9 1/2 Mile in Hazeltucky is called that although the sign says Woodward Heights Rd.

Goblue, ya, Terry Cashman's song is a wonderful baseball history lesson. So you got the balls, jjaba has the parks, 35 MLB parks visited, Cactus League season, and now Grapefruit Leauge this March. jjaba will send regards soon from Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, the first Fla. location for Spring Training. While there, jjaba will also tour the Flank Lloyd Wright Fla. Southern College campus.

jjaba, Bennett, Navin, Briggs, Tiger, Comerica.

jjaba.

Eastside61

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All - Red Wings were number one followed by the Tigers and then the Windsor Spitfires...ha ha......we started heading to the Westside temple ( you would be proud of us Jjaba) the Olympia as 14 year olds.......GO SAN JOSE SHARKS........

Eastside61

Post Number: 888
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All - Red Wings were number one followed by the Tigers and then the Windsor Spitfires...ha ha......we started heading to the Westside temple ( you would be proud of us Jjaba) the Olympia as 14 year olds.......GO SAN JOSE SHARKS........

Jjaba

Post Number: 6110
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside posts same message twice. Complete waste of bandwith.

jjaba remembers when the Grand River electric feeder buses would park on both sides of the the street at Olympia, dropping the poles.

When Red Wings let out, the white gloved dispatchers would fill 'em and go. Eastsiders would be delivered to Capitol Park terminal for a quick walk to their Eastside buses, street cars, or electric lines. Woodward PCC cars would be at the ready for those going up the spine of the city.

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end. Detroit had no subways or "L"s but they could move an Olympia crowd all excited that our Production Line, Abel to Lindsey, to Howe which just kicked some Montreal ass again, from Grand River Avenue back to The Forum.

jjaba, Westside memories.

Eastside61

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba.....were you ever inside the "O" for a Wings game????????

Jjaba

Post Number: 6120
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, jjaba went to many Red Wings games at the Red Barn.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Eastside61

Post Number: 892
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: many a night in the 60's were SRO and with a beer purchased for the Red Blazer usher then one could sit on the steps between the sections......No SRO tickets are sold out here in San Jose so I have season tickets in row 4 section 123 right behind the goalie.......look for me the next time the wings v. SHARKS are on TV.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6122
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Illinois, they call it San Joes.
Ok, we'll watch.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Look for ES with a fox on either side of him...they assign foxes to sit with the grandpas at the Sharks games.

Eastside61

Post Number: 893
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For tonight's game it will be Sally j to my left and Sandy R to my right........I love this west coast program for seniors.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see....SJ is about 63...and SR is about 65...although...once a fox always a fox...usually.

Eastside61

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ and SR were at the senior center finishing the Bingo Tourney so I had to sit between 4 of AAE's friends who came to the game......I won and the Sharks Won.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO WAY!! SJ AND SR had far too much class for bingo! After all...these were Balduck parking lot girls!

So...any more points for JC? It had to be demoralizing to be call "Sir" all evening!

Eastside61

Post Number: 906
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC gets a Hat Trick against nashville Sat night.......Go Fins.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd never bet against a Fin...unless they were playing the Red Wings!

Eastside61

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday the hated Flames (Not James Brown and the famous Flames) but the Calgary style come to the Tank........Look for me in row 4 behind the net....

Goblue

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll look for the foxes...forget you!

Eastside61

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would like the seats......you might even watch the game....

Goblue

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish I could join you...especially for a Red Wings game!

Eastside61

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings have made their two appearances this season....the Fins do play in Motown in about two weeks.......AAE is headed to NYC this weekend to see JC play in Madison Sq Garden......two week road trip and she has 4 days off .....Oh to be young!