Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » What are your thoughts on Minor league stadiums in Wayne, Oakland ,Macomb Co's? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one would support a local AA or AAA team in the area at a price I could afford.
I have been hearing about the Lugnuts for so long with a bit of envy. A $1.00 dog and $2.00 beer?
Profit to be made in quantity.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends what you mean by the area. You won't see that level of minor league ball in metro Detroit. Ilitch would not compete with his own team and other MLB teams (who control where their affiliates play) can't move into the Tigers' market. Eat/drink before or after the game, have an overpriced coke and enjoy the Tigers. It's going to be a great season and for $5-15 it's a bargain.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5318
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there any amateur baseball around? I played baseball until age 31 on various teams. Some were often sponsored by the fire or police departments in Milwaukee and Waukesha County suburbs or farm towns. Those leagues went by the name of Land of Lakes (or Home Talent) leagues. More specifically, when playing for Brookfield's or Sussex's fire departments, those teams then were in the Eastern Waukesha County LoL league. Those were fairly large exburbs. The teams today have been realigned quite a lot with even more teams today than back then.

The 10KW radio station where I was the chief engineer in Waukesha even would pick a game each Sunday and actually broadcast its play-by-play. So, occasionally I might "get on the radio" as an outfielder or pitcher those days.

Some of those towns were very small, farm communities with more cows than people. The home team would run concession stands and made enough money to pay for expenses. The teams all would have beer licenses issued by the cities, villages, or towns (WI doesn't have townships--but towns instead). Some parks were the only property owned by the community outside a volunteer fire station. And some of those tiny towns had lights and nice permanent dugouts for their ballparks--no small expense there.

There might be some of that among the more rural parts of SE Michigan.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 22, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.