Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through February 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At last count we were up to 87 chapters...fortunately each one is only two pages...not counting the ones from your coloring book since you've decided not to donate them to the new MSU contemporary art museum...keep repeating "ya gotta stay within the lines!"

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 837
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - remember I went to DPS and was able to remain left handed without taking a beating like your catholic friends...and still stayed between the lines when coloring....

Goblue

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Left handed, eh? THAT explains it!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Sharks v Edmonton will be on TV tonight on Versus cable....take a look and see if you can handle a good high sticking penalty again....

Goblue

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I don't recall ever receiving a high stick penalty...some cross checking, a couple fighting, and maybe a few tripping...the later most notably in the city championship game when a wing had gotten past my defensive partner and was going in for a clear shot on goal...mia culpa, mia culpa...my bad...as he went down he swung his stick back at me and I took a half dozen stitches just below my left eye...it was the pre-helmet and face screen days.

I wish we got that cable channel...unfortunately no.

Eastside61

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - Sharks 3 Oilers 0...........and Internet Radio for live broadcasts of every game (NHL.com) Just like the old days in Motown listening to Al Nagler the radio voice of the wings in the '50 and '60.......

DId J boy the WMU cheerleader play hockey?????

Goblue

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Congrats to the hated Sharks...when do they next play the major league Red Wings?

J didn't play hockey...he was the voice on WIDR...was so good he almost put Wolfman Jack out of business.

Eastside61

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I wonder if J boy ever went to a game on his side of town at the Olympia....In the Big NO neighborhood.......and true westside school.....I have a feeling THAT J BOY with his fixation for buses never took a forearm to the head......

Goblue

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was surfing Lowells site...he's in need of donations...what do you think about a fundraiser for him?

Eastside61

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure....but maybe the Westside Banker - Northlawn Bank might just step up and support Lowell....keep me aware of Lowell's needs

Goblue

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Is it my understanding that the San Jose Foundation has agreed to cover DY costs for 2008?

Eastside61

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once the LETS group hosts the fund raising necessary to assist Lowell we can all move forward...........What about a matching fund challenge?....If Jjaba gets in he will only print some lame monopoly money with Dexter Bus drivers pictures on the bills.......but when I mentioned this to my Greek connections they thought that Jjaba should sit this one out and just print those hooded sweatshirts " Cass Tech the Distinguished Eastside School" Green with white or White with Green and only for $39.95 and donate some of the proceeds to Lowell......Remember Jjaba has discussed that there is money buried on Northlawn and Sussex......maybe there could be a westside hunt for Jjaba's money......I thing it is hidden on one of the remaining Dexter busses......

Goblue

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LETS will match any grant...in pesos.

Eastside61

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? LETS remember has all those off shore accounts.....Oh! sorry its tax season......and that is why you are hiding in the mountains of AZ......pesos.....????? Lowell lives in the detroit area...he wants Canadian dollars since they are worth more than the US dollar....

Goblue

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LETS Grp. maintains close working relationships with several Latin American countries!

(Message edited by GoBlue on February 05, 2008)

(Message edited by GoBlue on February 05, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So which Latin American country and account will you be tapping into ??????

Goblue

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta get back to Venezuela before Chavez nationalizes the banks!!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: I thought I'd transfer/borrow a discussion in the Morang Memories thread for duplicative or additional discussion in Heilmann...

Quote:
"hey KR.......do you remember being so anxious to play 21 et. el. that we pushed my dad's Oldsmobile out of the way and caught the door on McKitricks fence...thus springing the door and.....and......I got in a bit of trouble over that one........I think that's why you put a hoop in your yard........looking back I'm pretty sure Fritz, Chet, and Dick met and compared notes about us....................

7K,
Yea more fond memories in the chronicles of yesteryear on Eastwood. How inconsiderate that was to park a big oldsmobile right on the court. And it was also very cool that you had a flood light on the court...I'm sure the Mckitricks appreciated us jumping their fence chasing errant basketballs and hooping and hollering past dusk. As I recall Fritz was pretty laid back over all. I wasn't exactly there when the s*&% went down after the incident. But overall I'm sure Fritz, Chet et.al appreciated the close proximity of our recreation in the neighborhood. I do recall having to actually watch you practice your accordion before we could play hoops or mess around with your slot car or train set. When was the last time you played the accordion? That could be another chapter in the eastside book.

What ever happened to the accordion? It seems that many of the music stores on the east side gave lessons in guitar, piano, and accordion.

Goblue

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The accordion seemed to be the instrument of choice on the NEside in the 50's-70's...one of the Cardinali girls who lived next door to us play one...used to hear her practicing all of the time in her bedroom that was 15 ft. across the driveway from mine.

I would guess that virtually every wedding band that was playing while I was shooting pictures had an accordion player...had to love those Ooompa Bands.

Eastside61

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - You are soooooo right! It was an eastside thing.....Last time i heard one was at J Beard / S Lyle's wedding in the late 60's.....

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all:....I'm available!........take your pick."Lady of Spain"..........or.....or...La dy of Spain'.give me a call...........Venice 9-4583................7K...

Goblue

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K...no polkas?...gotta have a polka at the wedding reception!

Eastside61

Post Number: 905
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - be careful....GB has plans for the "Accordion" which I think is to soak it in Marathon gasoline and then light the match.......

7K - Was playing the "Accordion" done as punishment ?????? GB was in the eastside district band that met a Richard School in the late 50's - he played the "Tonette or Flute-A- Phone".....he eventually was asked to leave the dist band and just do his NE Shopper ....

Goblue

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This from a guy who's music ability is limited to the air guitar!

Eastside61

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snare Drum.....Boy! part of the Mapleridge ROTC program....Dennis Elvidge was the Lt. in charge of dress code uniforms.....The Celestine Corp eventually became Blackwater..right?

Goblue

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I KNEW IT! It was a phoney claim to be a Spartan! Admit it...you're a Calvin College alumni, aren't you? With a doc from Texas A&M!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone mention snare drum? Another Eastwood memory that most likely expanded to the Heilmann area was when yours truly graduated from the practice pad to a snare drum. Yes, a Rodgers snare drum (really wanted a Ludwig) bought used for $15 from a Fordham resident (still have it in my garage attic). It was probably the start of the down fall of the neighborhood (circa 1962-1963)...joined the St. Jude Marching band and took lessons and practiced. Practicing those quarter beats, long rolls, flams, paradiddles, etc in an upstairs bedroom with the windows open I'm sure tested the patience of the neighborhood probably all the way from Kelly to Morang. 7K, How come we never got together and jammed? The accordion with a snare drum perhaps played in the tom-tom mode would have been a mean combo!

Eastside61

Post Number: 914
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - We could be the drum corp for the Eastside Reunion band and if we can get GBlue to wear his Denby Cheerleading uniform this could be big........and don't forget the need to have a pair of brushes.....for the cool sound... GB does the Cheeerleading skirt need to be let out a little?????

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..(MS)......Geez buddy....I'm sorry...I don't remember your drum thing at all!.........sigh.St. Jude had a marching band?.hmmm.........certainly accordians didn't fit into that scenario....however a bit later the drum solo from "In a Gadda Da vida" cemented itself into my conciousness so maybe your influence had something to do with it....I'm sure of it.

Goblue

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I haven't gotten into a cheerleading uniform in decades...well...not since...SR!

I did have a thing for awhile though with a member of the TAR band...a Paula M...I think she was the class after me.

No doubt about it KR...ES61 is a for sure paradoodle!!