Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » MSU vs. UM Hockey « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 971
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The #6 Spartans took down top ranked Michigan 5-2 in front of what I thought was the loudest crowd in Munn Arena history tonight.

Jeff Lerg stole the Game for MSU who was badly outshot through the first two periods. Billy Sauer was back to his old ways for Michigan, allowing two soft goals.

Anyone else going to The Joe for tonights game? It should be a sellout, or close to it.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats, have fun tonight.
Go Blue

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5-2 Michigan Sat. Night.

Man, they always seem to even things out, even with lopsided scores.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disappointed in Saturday's result, but encouraged by the crowd of 20,066 (thats a sellout).

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome sellout crowd. I have been going to this game for the past few years, and there has never been a crowd like that.

PS- DetroitSTAR, I saw you on the PeopleMover

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People still like hockey, it's just these outrageous prices to go to an NHL game that hurts attendance for the Wings. When I went to a UM/MSU game at the Joe a few years ago, the ticket was less than $30 dollars and I was on center ice, 2/3 up on the lower bowl.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 993
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was spotted on the peoplemover?? How did you know it was me, lol!

Congrats to Michigan on winning the CCHA title. I hope MSU gets another chance at them in the CCHA championship.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game last night. Northern Michigan gave Michigan all they could handle. Tonight's the Big Dance as far as college hockey is concerned in the CCHA.
Michigan over Miami. You heard it here, first.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can the NMU Wildcats still get in the NCAA tournament? They gave U of M a good challenge last night, being underdogs through-out the Mason Cup CCHA tournament. And they are all mostly freshman?

Holy cow! I smell another NCAA title in their near future. Go 'Cats!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NCAA Men's Ice Hockey tournament is mostly decided by a computerized system. NMU is in the top 25 teams so they are considered a "team under consideration", but they will not make the 16 tournament.

Walt Kyle is a great coach and NMU has some quality young talent. I see them in the top tier of the CCHA next season.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverines beat Miami for CCHA title.

2 - 1

(Message edited by thnk2mch on March 23, 2008)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM is in Albany as the #1 overall seed, MSU got sent to Colorado Springs to play CC on their home ice.

I like UNH, UM, BC, and and Denver to make it to the Frozen Four.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan faces off against The Purple Eagles of Niagara at 4pm today from Albany, NY. UM is the #1 overall seed in the tournament. NU is a pesky team that can skate with the best. If UM advances, their game tomorrow would likely be an easier test.

Michigan State faces the Colorado College Tigers on their home ice at the World Arena in Colorado Springs. MSU has history on their side, having advanced to the frozen four after each of their previous championships. MSU is the defending National Champions coming into the tournament, but they also have the toughest road to repeat.

For college hockey fans this is the real march madness! I've got my bracket filled out, and have my spot at Hockeytown Cafe staked out!

Enjoy!

Schulzte1

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CCHA had a great day yesterday. Michigan State, Notre Dame, and the Wolverwienies all won yesterday. MSU beat Colorado College on its home ice. Notre Dame scored 7 goals on the Hockey East champion. Very impressive.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU and Notre Dame played in the Regional Final last year with MSU winning 2-1. Hopefully history will repeat itself tonight. I could use a vacation to Denver!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU fell short of the mark last night, so with Michigan's shut out of Clarkson University, the Wolverines will get their chance against ND.

Schulzte1

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never gone from rooting against a team to rooting for a team so quickly as now with the Fighting Irish.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL i agree. I am still in shock after that loss. It has been a truly remarkable run and I look forward to starting again in October.

Kenp

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM vs Notre Dame in the Semi's tonight, Thurs. Winner plays for the national championship.
Go Blue!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout them Victors!

ND took down UM in a wild overtime game early this morning. I thought Red made a big mistake in taking out Sauer, who was a top 5 goalie nationally all season.

I think Michigan is in good shape going into next season with likely 9 or10 (maybe 11) freshmen returning. The question will be if they can fill the shoes of the graduating Porter and Kolarick.

Kenp

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw next season, this one hurts. We got off to a bad start. Oh well, congrats to ND.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really felt that Red should have stuck with Sauer. He was one of the best goalies in the country all season and deserved the chance to prove himself. It was interesting to see Michigan get outskated in the overtime period.

UM was the fastest, most well-conditioned team that I saw all season. I thought they would skate circles around ND in the OT session. ND got 8 shots on goall in 5:44 of OT play. UM had their chance and they came out flat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.