Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through February 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youth is wasted on the young! This whole age process is backward! You mean that you didn't take off for a couple of days to fly across the country with SH...or Sheila when you were in your 20's?

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in my 20's I was trying to find cheap oil to just keep my 54 Ford running.....and going as far as East Warren - Edward's Bar - Red Carpet and Francell's .......SH and SF had disappeared by that time and there were other names in the loop

Goblue

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SH hadn't disappeared! She was living happily in Ann Arbor. I used to run into her at games at the Big House. Okay...so SF took off with Jjaba...get over it!

Eastside61

Post Number: 936
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lie! SF loved to go to MYF with me at Mt Hope....cough!

Goblue

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My friend...I feel so bad bringing this news to you...SF was Jjaba's first wife...the mother of two of his children...he reported that they broke up because she never got over the Goy in her life. Could that have been you?

Eastside61

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was truly me she wanted.......Bronco DJ was much tooooo old for the black hair / Blue eye fox......

Goblue

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way I heard it she had a real thing for the older guys...like SH did!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6126
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has no recollection of such a person.
Perhaps you mean the other jjaba, the freaking Eastsider with the Elvis doo who was class president at Denby.

jjaba, Proudly Westside. This jjaba just got a notice of Cass Tech. 50th reunion in 2009. Does Denby wanna represent?

Eastside61

Post Number: 942
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both GB and E61 will pick you up so that you won't flake out as most westsiders would do.....should we pick you up on Sussex or Northlawn????? You will be traveling east and we know how you are a victim of anxiety attacks....

Goblue

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Are you sure that you're not just trying to forget...ES's taste in women was a tad suspect...and we've all made mistakes.

I'll pass on the CT reunion...made the mistake of attending the TAR 25th reunion...lots of memories destroyed at that one.

Eastside61

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had the great fortune to know a lot of Foxes and even have been married to one for 38 years........ES did have some skills that were learned on the EASTSIDE........But you Boys are in my thoughts always.....

Jjaba

Post Number: 6128
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the time jjaba gets out of psycho-therapy and ready for his Eastside excursion, he will live in the penthouse at the Book Cadillac, now under construction. Pick him up there.

jjaba, anxiety to the nines, phobia tenfold.

Goblue

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no question that ME is reported to be one hell of a fox...I've heard that report from several sources to date...the real question is: What in the hell did she see in ES61? She must have been a social worker type...out to save the nere-do-wells! I'll bet her parents just shook their heads when they first laid eyes on him.

J: Take your valium...and spent some time at a shooting range...it'll get ya ready for the Eastside.

Eastside61

Post Number: 952
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and ES have secured a crack house north of jefferson on Eastlawn and not the Book C......We will send in a hummer to pick you up....remember to sprint from the house to the hummer so that you will not be shot....GB will be driving and I will have the AK 47 to cover you!
Remember to bring the Mumford '61 yearbook .......or the Hummer doors will not open

Goblue

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent statement ES...no Mumford '61 book...we drive off! On the other hand...if you have Sheila with you we'll serve a fine Michigan wine...assuming we can find one.

Goblue

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 38 years!! Thirty-eight loooooooong years for ME! Good Gawd I feel sorry for her. Especially since I understand the betting line at your wedding was that she would throw you out in six months or less!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Good to read that you are an Honorary Denby Tar; looks very good on your resume...along with newly bestowed title of Honorary Mackenzie Stag - very good!

Let it be heard throughout the land:

1. Cheers to Goblue & Eastside61...Long Live Denby

2. Re-Open Mackenzie, Redford, Murray-Wright, Northeastern, Miller & Good Old Eastern High School.

3. Build a Nautical Careers High School on Belle Isle.

4. Ray1936 for Michigan's next Governor.

Goblue

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckj: Jjaba is well on his way to earning his "D"...all that's left is the fishing trip at the foot of Lakewood, sharing a six pack of Stroh's, and providing lunch from a Westside deli. If he brings Sheila F. with him ES61 will be delirious! What happens in Detroit stays in Detroit!

I had no idea those schools were all closed...shows how out of touch I am!

Its amazing that no one has ever established a nautical trades school somewhere on the lakes...given all of the freighter traffic.

Ray1936 has a distinct advantage...having married a woman with a Denby background! I'm certain she wised him up quickly...if he knew what was good for him!

Eastside61

Post Number: 958
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ - You hit it a homerun.....we will be fishin' at the foot of lakewood with the WESTSIDE cousin who is a grad of a great eastside HS (CASS) and wants to repent his misguided ways and truly wants to look east again....so join us when we do the Jjaba Eastside tour soon......

Goblue

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ: Repeat! What happens in Detroit stays in Detroit!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6139
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although jjaba doesn't know the Eastside, jjaba's father came to Detroit in 1928 and lived around E. Lafayette and E. Grand Blvd. He worked at 2460 E. Grand Blvd. and later in the Murray Body Works reincarnation at Russell and Clay in the envelope factory and shopped Jewish Hastings St. and the Westminster/Oakland Ave. area.

Most probably, this is not in the Denby sphere but interesting none the less. jjaba does have some legacies in the Eastside, although he's hardly ever been there. For certain, he has never set foot on land within many miles of Denby.

The therapy goes well and jjaba is trying to lower his Eastside phobias. He is considering pistol training in the alley behind his Westside house as recommended by Goblue.

jjaba.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba...I've already mentioned to detroitteacher that I'd like to spend a day in her classroom at Cooley High, during first week of April.

I will also be visiting with my sister and brother in-law, who live two blocks west of the Heilman Center (near convergence of Kelly/7-Mile Rd); perhaps this would be an opportunity for Chuckjav and Jjaba to meet with Eastside61 & Goblue...spend some quality time at Denby?

This would be Lead Story for Channel-7 Action News!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6141
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent invitation but jjaba is in Idaho that week helping son with his business. Besides, jjaba still has a few phobias to conquer yet before chancing a trip with strnagers to the Eastside.

What's Heilman Center?

jjaba, Fear and Loathing on the Westside.

Goblue

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: The Heilmann Center is a NE Detroit recreation center...at 7 mile and Morang. Its named for Harry Heilmann...late-great Tiger. In our day it was basically baseball fields and an outdoor artificial ice hockey rink in the winter...although there was also an army missile site there in the 50's. I played on a city championship hockey team from Heilmann in the winter of '59. Today its gone high cotton with a pool, tennis courts, etc.

How are you shooting lessons going...gotta have some skills with a .357 or a 9mm to be a true Eastsider.

Eastside61

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew....who helped J find Idaho? Talk about being culturally deprived the poor Northlawn/Sussex boy is one. How can you live in MOTOWN in the 40's and 50's - support the Tigers - and not know H. Heilmann? Clueless comes to mind for Jjaba.....I am not sure dragging him around the eastside is now worth it.......he will never figure it out...He did graduate from CASS? and WMU? Right?
He is now carrying a gun...and shooting at who? What if he is Cheney like???? and starts shoot out of one of windows of the tour bus at eastsiders ??????

Jjaba

Post Number: 6142
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61, oh THAT Harry Heilmann.
The Heilmann who was a Detroit Tigers right fielder for 17 yrs. That Heilmann who recorded a .403 batting average in 1923, and who got into the HOF in 1952.

Now tell us, Eastside61, what's the special relationship of Babe Ruth to Harry Heilmann?

jjaba is plenty enough Detroit, trust him.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Eastside61

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - Babe and Harry were both in GB's first wedding......no matter what you do the Bus has left for the EASTSIDE and you missed it...maybe you can catch the Dexter Bus and try to join us.....

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this thread supposed to be about Denby?

Goblue

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G.O.L.: I guess I must have missed your enlightening posts regarding Denby and/or the Eastside...would you please give us your brilliant observations one more time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Be nice now....GOL used to date Jjaba and was a westside cheer leader at Murray-Wright.......she also missed the BUS as stated earlier..... You being a minister in high desert of AZ now need to calm down and be more accepting of others and their opinion...(cough).....