Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » 2008 NCAA Men's Hoops Midwest Regional « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who else plans on attending part of the Sweet 16, which is right in our backyard? A quick search revealed that hotel rates for the weekend are nearly double (or more) what they typically go for (as expected). Basketball games on Friday and Sunday (March 28th and 30th), followed by Tigers Opening Day on Monday! The last weekend of March should be a fun one in Detroit.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 994
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had every intention of selling my NCAA Regional tickets because it is obvious MSU will not be there the way they are playing right now. But like you mentioned above, with Tigers' opening day on Monday I think a sports weekend just blocks from home would actually be a welcomed vacation from reality. Although, I think I just this might lead to a weekend of inebriation.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5456
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonsense, the top six Big Ten teams usually go to the Regionals. Besides, MSU had ten losses going into the Big Ten tourney last year. However, MSU will probably be killed off early this year.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 997
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU helped their case to be placed in Detroit today. these last two games will be huge in helping them out. In my opinion they have to win the final 2 regular season games and go until Sunday in the BTT to get the favorable seed.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year the Big ten will only have 4 teams in the tournament, I dont see OSU getting in.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree kenp. The only way OSU should get in is if they make it to Sunday in the BTT.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i plan on attending...is it 2 games worth of ball?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the only tickets available are fo all 3 sessions...2 friday games and 1 sunday.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5505
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OSU has a decent chance to go regional if they beat MSU this Friday. And much better if they win two in the BTT.

And it's a remote shot that they could outseed MSU in the regionals if OSU has a decent BTT outcome. The back end of the season carries more weight than the beginning.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tickets that I have in hand are actually separate. The first ticket covers both semi-final games on Friday and the other ticket is for the Regional Final on Sunday.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OSU has done nothing to deserve a berth in the NCAA.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If MSU's record drops to 24-8, they'll drop from a weak 5 seed to 6 or 7. Even if UW loses any game in the BTT, they'll be no worse than a 3 seed.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knocturnal, that is correct. I just meant that you have to purchase the whole weekend, not a single day of tickets if you buy from the ncaa.

I know the NCAA will put one of the Big Ten schools in the Detroit region, but I think it is likely to be IU or OSU. MSU's only chance left is to win the B10 Tournament, which will not happen because they have been too inconsistent.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DS...if thats the case...then they probably WILL win the BTT

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5562
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good, 11 seed Kansas State beats 6 seeded USC. So Wisconsin probably makes it to Detroit this year, only to lose to Georgetown... Barring a miracle, they get to play the other Kansas team and then most definitely lose.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kansas is going to blow through Detroit and win the whole darn thing.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 612
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY,

You are dreaming, K state is gonna beat up on Wisconsin and their "free throw shooting" offense. Wisconsin had a hard enough time with Cal-Fullerton. They are going to have a helluva time stopping a real opponent.

Knocturnal

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Wisconsin makes it. With the Big Ten being as maligned as it is, it would look better. Besides, I think more Cheeseheads would be willing to make the drive over.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7367
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Indiana was the first Big 10 team to take the gas pipe. Let's hope MSU & Wisconsin fare better.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IU was only a minor upset--a 9 seed beating up on an 8. There were two instances of that. The biggest jinx usually is a 12 beating a 5 seed. MSU--a 5--escaped that particular jinx. All told, there were eight "upsets." For a six (or worse) seed to lose isn't really much of an upset.

So far: Two 8s gone, one 7, one 6, two 5s, and two 4s. Nothing really major, yet.

For the second round, if the seeds were properly chosen, no 5s or worse should survive two games. Only 4 seeds or higher should make it to the "16."

(Message edited by livernoisyard on March 22, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7368
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'bye Duke! Wow, this year's tourney is full of surprises so far!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5567
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprises? Really?

The Badgers won by 17 points in its second round, and Purdue is out. MSU (26-8) doesn't travel well with its 4-6 record on the road. So Pittsburgh's (27-9) 11-7 on the road should be problematic for MSU.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, where are ya today?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5571
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year, a number of teams are playing on borrowed time after the first two rounds because with a perfect seeding, no teams seeded 5 or worse should have gotten this far: Villanova (12), Davidson (10), MSU (5), Western Kentucky (12), and West Virginia (7).

After the third round, only teams seeded 1 or 2 should remain. On that basis, Wisconsin makes it to the third round and loses. But this year, a 10 seed beat Georgetown (2), giving the Badgers an ideal opportunity to make it to the fourth round.

Of the five "Cinderellas," Villanova, Western Kentucky, and MSU have the worst chances to succeed to the fourth round, with those three playing number 1 seeds.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on March 24, 2008)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is crazy to say 5 seeds dont belong at this point in the tournament. Traditionally the 4 and 5 seed have more success in the suite sixteen than 3 and 4 seeds.

Wisconsin sure got a lot of help yesterday from the upsets, but. I still think Kansas is the best team in the country, and will blow through the rest of the tournament.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY...I think MSU has a stronger chance of advancing to the Elite 8 than Wisconsin does. Memphis is one of the worst teams at the line, and MSU is playing damn good basketball right now. My only question...where was this Drew Neitzel all season???

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5572
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh! I prefaced my points by stating with a perfect seeding...

It's simple math, pure and simple: No 5 seeds should remain after two rounds. Period.

Also, 3 and 4 seeds make it to the 16, but all 3s and 4s lose during round 3. Due to the math. Again, another period.

Wisconsin, a 3 seed, gets a break, only having to play a 10 seed. That gives them a much better chance to get to the fourth round--which few 3 seeds (or worse) make.

Are any of the three Cinderellas going to beat the 1 seeds they play? Not that likely, but because there are three of them, one might, and it's possible for two or more to, but that's doubtful.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5646
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, with less than ten minutes left in its third-round game, it's obvious that the Badgers are up to their old tricks--trailing by 15...

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wisc met their matchin Curry, where was the "D"?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5670
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, all the #1 seeds were assigned properly. Never happened before...

Smogboy

Post Number: 7448
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be one heckuva Final Four! Sure my brackets got hosed, but as a basketball fan to see the top teams going toe to toe, this is gonna be GOOD!

Just think about how much future NBA talent is going to be out there on the hardwood this series.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5675
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do the latest rankings have the top two of them? It would be interesting to see how they survive to the finals. Or if the highest ranked team gets to play the fourth ranked.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5769
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kansas had 18 unanswered points against UNC up to around 5 minutes left in the first half to lead 40-12. No doubt how this game will turn out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.