Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through February 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Remember the GB (Father Banana Head) did live on Fordham in the Celestine area which we all knew was the home of Kinky stuff that was for years hushed up.......All those women's clothing that was found in the White Ford Convert were his.....those photos showing what was found will be revealed at the TC conference in August......They .will also be on-line by 8/15/08.....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! We've got a band going here...KR on snare drum, 7&K on the accordion, ES on the air guitar and tonette...I can't wait until the next wedding reception.

Only one piece of apparel was ever left in the '56...it was returned in school the next day...I was always a gentleman.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, Your memory must have been suppressed by the loud erratic quarter notes and long rolls attempted or perhaps your mom protected you by closing the windows and doors during practice time....Actually I only played the drums for a short while and much of it on a practice pad.... and yes St. Jude did have a marching and concert band. We use to take lessons upstairs in the gym classrooms and practice as a band on the gym floor even marched during the St. Jude football games..circa 1962 early 63. We actually had uniforms (capes) ...too bad the accordion didn't fit into the band's plans. The only claim to fame I had with the drums was doing a solo playing the "roll off" (the prelude to 76 trombones in the Music Man)...Wasn't that refined enough to read/practice music very well but somehow became obsessive about that particular piece and auditioned very well much to the surprise of our band teacher. I can still play that piece today 45 years later...Hopefully, I have a set of drumsticks with the snare. LOL

Who could forget grooving to the Iron butterfly played on your HiFi stereo sitting on your porch, especially that drum solo. I'm sure Mrs. Iola remembered too. LOL

Eastside61

Post Number: 923
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR ; Wasn't Iola the Janis Joplin of Eastwood? I thought that she sang in your St. Jude Magical Mystery Tour Band......I also notice that GB (Father Banana Head) lays NO claim to playing an instrument and only talks about playing around......No wonder that his father made him sleep in the garage!

Goblue

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES is finally correct with a comment...there is no claim for musical ability here...the closest I ever came was memorizing about three chords on a guitar...taught by a cute little cabaret folk singer (J.B. from Atlanta) in Birmingham, AL in the very early 70's.

However...I do know a paradiddle or doodle when I hear one!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Perhaps that was Iola that was belting out a tune of "Down on Me" after the Eastwood evil-doers did their dirty deeds...All along I thought it was the B side of a Janis Joplin hit from 7K's stereo. As for Father B, perhaps the only practice he wanted to endure had nothing to do with a musical instrument..his inspirations took him elsewhere..How fortunate to have a garage on Fordham near Celestine back in the day!
By the way we may be spelling Mrs. Iola incorrectly. According to my sources it was a Finnish name and started with an E....The Magical Mystery Tour lives on.

Eastside61

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - either spelling meant that the poor woman's door bell was rung continuously for about 40 years..........I think that I do remember a son.....who lurked around inside a house that never seemed to have the drapes open.......maybe GB was that son and that he never lived on Fordham....

Goblue

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now wait just a minute you two! This is how rumors and gossip get turned into urban myths! We did have a garage...but I guarantee you that I certainly never slept in it...it was unattached...with no door...which allowed some SOB to steal my bike one night. Now that I think about it...the cops recovered it a couple of years later on Mapleridge.

Lord knows there were plenty of evil-doers in that Eastwood-Mapleridge piece of geography bordered by Hayes-Morang-Six Mile-Seven Mile...it was a dangerous piece of turf. Further...if ES was singing "Down on Me"...we all know to whom...and what it meant!

Eastside61

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - GB would even travel to Eastland to buy 78 rpm records in 1962.....Talk about hip - he was it........I liked the bike but you were banned to the garage when your parents found out that you were going next door to "assist" the catholic princess ..... She kept singing "Light my Fire" and you had major trouble singing "Doin Time" (Sublime) because of her age...

Goblue

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope...never bought a 78...that was my sister's era...had a ton of 45's though...wish I still had them...still have a few 33's...although I'm not certain why.

I keep tellin' all...music ability is beyond me...absolutely no singing or playing ability...but lots of appreciation. And...I do recognize a paradiddle when he's writing!

Eastside61

Post Number: 937
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get with it CUDA....... There is a program that you can get (TOAST) that allows you to hook up your stereo to your computer and transfer those classic LP's to your Itunes, etc........We are here to assist you Grads from AA who are challenged.....and quit diddling yourself and go get toast.......

Eastside61

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Bo Diddley and Prescott (para)Diddley who toured together in the 60's ....In the photos Prescott wore the Nehru jacket and the wide bell bottoms......

Goblue

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the 33's have been remastered onto CD's...the sound on the old ones is pretty scratchy...we're talking over 40 years old on some of them. The best one is a collection of JFK speeches.

What I wouldn't give to have that Nehru jacket back...just like my '56 Ford Sunliner.

Eastside61

Post Number: 946
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - techno boy...Toast takes out the pops, scratches, etc.....as part of the process.....Is there electricity in the prescott area that you can hook up. tooooooo.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup...that'll work...as long as the generator don't quit! Ask not what the TARs can do for you...ask what you can do!

Eastside61

Post Number: 949
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I have understanding for your plight......I am buying all TC beer...I am bring all the fishing gear for J's eastside tour.....I have the TC 08 gift award that you will be receiving as an honorary Spartan all packed.....I will let you borrow my Barracuda jacket....and the Nehru jacket 42 R is almost completed.....GO BLUE!

Goblue

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Why am I suspicious of your sudden generosity?

Eastside61

Post Number: 954
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Trust me! don't worry about a thing......things are all falling in place.....it won't be long now......You do trust me ....Right?

Goblue

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Let's see...when was the last time I bought that line? Oh yeah, SE59 said, "Don't worry, I won't get pregnant its the wrong time of the month...trust me on this one."

Eastside61

Post Number: 960
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh those jungleleers had a sweet tongue....and some were split....were you wearing your "cuda" when "trust me on this one" was whispered in both of your ears that night.....???? The Cuda shield would have protected you....it was in the plaid lining that prevented trouble......or a stuck zipper...I can't remember....

Goblue

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Actually...it was after a drunken WMU homecoming party...three years post graduation. Great party but the hangover has never ended!

Eastside61

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALERT: SR's guest appearance at the TC CSI has been rescheduled for Fall 08.......Look for her at the MSU homecoming game....

Goblue

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the date is to be moved the logical weekend is the U-M/MSU game...then we got somethin' ta cheer about!

Eastside61

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Remember this is MSU......Homecoming is probably against the Bronco's and that might not even be a sure victory for the SPartans........GO GREEN!

Goblue

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Serve ya'll right if the Broncos kicked your butts!

Eastside61

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - you will be suiting up this fall......The Bronco's need a lot of help.....don't forget your leather helmet.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I've been skating hard at the local rink 2-3 days a week for the last month. Send me in coach!

Eastside61

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB- Whoa! My son-in-law's team needs a good right winger....Southwest Airlines to SJC and I will pick you up prior to game time....Schedule to follow...... Montreal Uniforms with a hockey player on crutches - Known as the Rehabs.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: God help me...was skating with my grandson (9 years old) in Kzoo over Christmas...was skating backward...he came toward me...tried to put a head fake on me...had to stop myself from taking him into the boards...God help me!

Your son-in-law's team needs more than a right winger...besides...I'm a left defenseman...I delight in taking wingers into the boards...or did 40 years ago!

Eastside61

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - When you do make it to the SJ area we need to go to a game...they seem to be playing 13 months a year now.....and actually they do need a "fore arming" defenseman....what NO# is needed for the uniform..????