Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through February 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6145
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After Babe Ruth got his 1923 World Series bonus, he bought a $50,0000 life ins. policy from Heilmann on Oct. 16, 1923. They were friends.

jjaba, excuse me. jjaba had been asked about Heilmann in the context of an obscure Eastside location.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Mia culpa, mia culpa.....I had been thinking that GOL was in fact....Sheila F.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 970
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - May SR and SJ dump in your front yard.......once again the J influence is creeping back and you know that GOL was a roommate of J and Broncoville! She also drove the Dexter Bus - remember that he always rode the D Bus.......it was because of GOL!

Goblue

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Touchy, touchy, touchy! I dunno...GOL sure sounded like a Sheila to me.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom graduated from Denby in 1976

Eastside61

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A- Being a 61' grad puts me in another generation of TARS.....and GoBlue graduated in 1952 and now lives in a retirement community in Troy......He was the first male cheerleader at Denby!

Goblue

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES is back to smokin' that wacky backy that he grows in his backyard in California. I'm Denby '59.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are the two Denby threads the only ones not moved to the high school superthread?

Eastside61

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Set a TARS record from suspensions from HS......the only 59 is the number of times he was suspended.....He was a great cheerleader and was known as "Sweety" ......

Goblue

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus: Perhaps because Denby is far SUPERIOR!

Eastside61

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus - Start to FOCUS!.Lowell loves this thread and it will be added to the GOLDEN SUPERIOR HIGH SCHOOL category coming in March. Are you an Eastsider?

Goblue

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus: PLUS...we will contribute heavily to Lowell's campaign for mayor of our beloved city.

Eastside61

Post Number: 987
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus - Mayor and then Governor.....and then Emperor for Lowell......Stay focused will be the campaign slogan! Kinda like all these threads!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6149
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in.
A cannibal was kicked out of Chadsey Culinary School.
He was caught buttering up the teacher.

jjaba, Westside humor.

Goblue

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my rifle...this is my gun...this is for fightin'...this is for fun! Eastside chant!

Eastside61

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy's.......Denby v. Mumford BBall game....and you all remember the Shirley Ellis Name game......and the crowd is singing very loudly using Buck..."Buck ..... Buck fo F*#K....Banana fanna Fo F*%K....along with all the other verses. The school administrators were going crazy and as usual the TARS lost.....at least on the court.

Goblue

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Is that why Bill Reaume threaten to take away your letter sweater?

Eastside61

Post Number: 999
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - NO! Other issues that he felt I had done......

Goblue

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: "Felt you had done"....you were guilty as hell...admit it....'fess up!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Father Banana.....YES!.......but when I tried to explain he became very angry.......and somewhat goofy.......It was then that I decided to become a psychologist.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There were more than a few of the Denby powers-that-were that had a tendency to get a little goofy when their power was challenged...add BR to our growing list.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - I had the tennis team pic taken wearing a shirt that said Camp Hiawatha in BIG Bold print .......It was a Jewish camp located north of Mio MI that my brother RCE was a counselor at......Maybe Jjaba might have attended in the early 50's......anyways BR went nuts after he asked me what was wrong with the pic...and I told him NOTHING.......CHE did back me up that BR lost it and needed therapy....

Jjaba

Post Number: 6157
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has paddled the Rifle River, near Mio, Michigan.

As for camp, he attended Charles Howell Scout Reservation in Brighton for several yrs. in the 1950s. The Scout Camp was sold and $ million dollar houses line those hills near the lake.

Did Denby area send Scouts to Charles Howell in Brighton?

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - My father was the summer director of Charles Howell in the early 50's.........Close to Mio is the Au Sable.....have you done the Au sAble toooooo. GB is wrong and you do have some redeeming qualities......GB might have even spent time at CH scout camp.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & J: Yup...spent lots of BSA weekends at the Howell Scout Reservation...in all likelihood we might have been there at the same time for a Detroit area jamboree...they had MI National Guard there for security...if you remember the one where the giant campfire, which all were expected to attend, sort of exploded because some group of renegades had stashed a beer case full of firecrackers underneath the piled up logs, etc...when the fire got down to it the sucker went off and blew sparks and debris into the night sky. Laughed until I cried! I think we were about 15. I told those guys they should not do that kind of stuff!

I was canoeing the Pine River with our Explorer Troop and damned near drowned when my buddy and I flipped coming around a bend and hit a half submerged log. Its tough to swim when your boots are full of water. We lost all of the gear that was in the canoe although we did retrieve in farther down the river.

Jjaba did you belong to a troop that was selected to serve as Honor Guard at Mackinaw Island for a week? I know that 309 DID NOT...they were the Mapleridge Mob. The 706 Explorer Troop was there during the summer of '57...unfortunately due to a serious misunderstanding with some of the local Natives regarding their girlfriends the French and Indiana War was nearly recreated...despite our loudly proclaimed innocence we were never invited back.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6159
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, your experiences at Mackinac Island and at Charles Howell Scout Reservation sound "So Eastside." In fact, jjaba can't find Mackinaw Island on a map. Is that off the Eastside too?

No, Troop 328, "best troop in the state", out of Noble School, was not invited while jjaba was there to nuthin' special. Since our family never went camping growing up, scout camp was quite a culture shock for jjaba.

jjaba went for the 2-week period which included Fourth of July Parade in Brighton which the Scouts marched in. jjaba remembers how glad he was to see civilization and get a cold Coke for our efforts. jjaba fell for the tricks like when they read a letter from President Eisenhower sending best wishes while at Scout Camp.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Goblue

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Aw common...you're jivin' me about Mackinaw Island....right? Good Lord Jjaba...everybody in Michigan knows about the Island! Hell...even ES knows about Mackinaw!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J & GB - Sheila Fishman, Sally jensen, Sandy Reynolds and Sandy Hennick and I spent 6 wonderful days being together on Mackinaw Island......In other news my parents had a summer place in the middle of the Huron Nat. forest and the stream that ran through it eventually became the Pine R.......Come meet the girls and myself on the Mackinaw this summer....

Jjaba

Post Number: 6161
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinac Island, not Mackinaw Island.
jjaba learned to spell at Cass Tech. HS.
Perhaps the English teachers at Denby forgot the basics.
jjaba, LOL.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - It was waved as long as you enrolled in the Print Shop Program...Keep working on finding the 61 Mumford yearbook and quit dreaming about MACkINAW island......If you were terrorized while at scout camp....Mackinac is not for you! Stay safe and don't venture away from the Dexter Bus....