Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through March 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6163
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth, Denby HS had printing? No wonder nobody from that district ever went to Cass Tech. It's all making sense now. jjaba can see it now, dudes with duck tails and pegged pants running Chandler and Price platen letter presses.

Just curious, does anybody at Denby know what a pastrami sandwich is?

jjaba, CT Class of '59, on the Dexter bus.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - Only Lutherans and Methodist know......Pastrami is an eastside sandwich........unless you attended Roosevelt, Durfee and Central...You had already left the neighborhood......with your Northlawn Sussex experience......shame on you! Some of us rode the Dexter bus even before your time....

Come East Brother......Come East......ES 61' 2-25-08

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & J: To tell the truth I don't remember any printing presses at TARland...that doesn't mean that they weren't there...I stayed away from that part of the building...those guys looked dangerous...auto shop, wood shop, etc.

"Does anybody know what a pastrami sandwich is?"...you gotta be kiddin' me Jjaba...it was invented on the Eastside!

GoBlue, Denby class of Jan.'59 in the '56 Ford Sunliner.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - Get with it.....even the printing press was invented at Denby....

Eastside 61, Class of '61 and '54 Ford Customline 4 door

Goblue

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'd heard of those ink stained wretches...but never really saw one on the Eastside...I had assumed that we outsourced such tasks to the Westside third world.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - that is totally right.....Denby became the pillar of academic excellence.......They moved that program to CT to make room for more academic college bound classes....

Goblue

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Which is why we all wore Princetons, chinos, loafers and madras shirts.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - These words( Princeton, chinos, loafers and Madras shirts) were NEVER in J Boys vocabulary.......the westside wus with wingtips......he could have made it at DHS....but chose CT.....how sad for his family......no wonder they moved further west to Sussex.

Goblue

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Ah well...Lord knows that we tried to convert him...or at least learn 'im how to be an Eastsider.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb- I see we took a hit on the Eastwood thread.....what can I say.....??? maybe meet me at Heilmann....????

Goblue

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah, apparently the guys don't know how to use their elbows in the corners...so, why don't we just let them play on Eastwood...we've got Denby and Heilmann.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby, Heilmann and a godzillion other threads. Please re-think your communication. MY thought. Anyone else>

Goblue

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glenfield: Spare us the whining...you sound like Hillary!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GF - Did you go the DHS? DId you hang at Heilmann - ever? If a TAR when that's a thread to join .... Ever go to the movies at the Civic Center? Any thoughts about living along Morang? RELAX and have some fun....some of the stories are even true! I will look forward to hearing from you....MY Thought....anyone ELSE????

GF - How is Hillary doing? Oh! Sorry but it will be over on 3/4

Goblue

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Amen Brother! Amen!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Is Glenfield a street?????...I remember a Glenwood like between FairCrest and Parkgrove......

Goblue

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yup...but to the best of my memory no one of any consequence lived there!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - It will not be mentioned in the book and removed from any maps that are used.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think a guy that was in my class at Columbus lived on Glenwood...a couple blocks west of Hayes...Dennis T...he ended up high in the administrative ranks of the DFD...heard from him a couple of months ago.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - GLENWOOD is in....Glenfield is a no no......

Goblue

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Oops...you're right...hard to say where GlenFIELD is located...never heard of it...probably on the westside somewhere...maybe even East Lansing.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Glenfield was made up by Jjaba for his actual address when growing up on the eastside that he will deny......I noticed that he has disappeared too.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...GlenWOOD is a better street...good solid Eastside...Dennis T. lived on it I think...and maybe Martha S., Maryann McF., and maybe Jim M...the latter is also a psychologist.

(Message edited by GoBlue on March 04, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a cheap house for sale in the old hood.
http://www.hudsonandmarshall.c om/PropertyInformation.asp?pro pertyID=40203&display=14615+Ma pleridge+Street+%2D++Detroit%2 C+Michigan&auctionId=414

Goblue

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the number that house would be on the north side of Mapleridge a couple of houses east of Celestine...that was once a solid working class neighborhood...that picture is incredibly sad to see. ES and I have facetiously talked about buying the area bordered on the west by Chalmers, on the east by Hayes, north by Seven Mile, and South by Six Mile...that would have to be probably 3/4's of a square mile...probably could get the whole thing for $100K-$200K.

I wonder about all of those houses that have been bulldozed into their basements...it seems to me that as all of that rubble settles and decays that thousands of ponds of standing stagnant water will have been created...great places to grow West Nile carrying mosquitos. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was gonna say the whole area would be good to buy wholesale and redevelop, maybe.
Yeah it's a bug breeding ground with roofs gone and all. I don't know about Nile stats, probably hmmmm

Goblue

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, a real big maybe on buying that area...it would probably cost more to level what is left than to buy it.

Our house on Fordham didn't have a basement...just a crawl space...but all of the neighbors did...looking at Google Earthwatch most of the homes have been cleared and the basements filled...I'm assuming that they just bulldozed the rubble into them...can't imagine that they would go to the cost of hauling in fill dirt...and even if they did it will settle and create pools. What a mess! Well...they rebuilt Berlin and Dresden after WWII...so I guess anything is possible.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L and GB - That house looks exactly like the one my parents owned between Salter and Morang.....it was an a 40' x 100' lot.....basement too. Gb has it right....and great working class neighborhood that became a model for WW II Dresden - Berlin - Hamburg films......NO JOBS in MI at this time makes for hard times if one were to try redevelopment.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And its not just the Eastside...a friend in A2 bought a house last fall for something like $380K that the seller had bought less than a year earlier for $510K...Pfizer pulling out killed the market...even with the company picking up $100K of the difference the guy still lost serious real money...not just a number on a brokerage sheet.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - We need change in Washington - But "McClinton" is doing more to look like a Lieberman Demo .... her next photo opt will be on the White House lawn kissing George Braindead....