Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Red Wings do it again! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NHL Red Wings extend longest US-sport playoff run

DETROIT, Michigan (AFP) — Continuing the longest active streak of playoff appearances in major US sport, the Detroit Red Wings have become the first team to qualify for the National Hockey League playoffs.

With a 5-3 victory Thursday over Dallas, Detroit clinched the Central division crown for a seventh consecutive season and secured a 17th consecutive trip to the NHL playoffs from the Western Conference.

The Red Wings have all-but locked up the home ice advantage throughout the playoffs with a league-best 100 points, 10 ahead of nearest rival San Jose.

It would be the sixth time in 13 seasons Detroit has won the Presidents Trophy for regular-season success.

At 47-18 with six overtime defeats, the Red Wings have matched the Montreal Canadiens for the NHL record of eight consecutive seasons with 100 or more points in the standings. Montreal turned the trick from 1975 through 1982.

"Give our organization a lot of credit for what they've been able to do, especially under the new salary system where everybody is on an equal playing field," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom of Sweden said.

"A lot of people thought we'd dip a little bit after we couldn't go out and sign all the free agents. You have to find other players or develop your own draft picks. That's been the most important key to our success."

http://afp.google.com/article/ ALeqM5gLawQDfr4J17WN7Jov1Wd92d ADkQ

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, The DETROIT REDWINGS, our hockey team!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they took the day off yesterday. Guess it was a let down after their accomplishment. The only good thing about the game was the $1 hot dogs and a few amusing fan stunts shown on the big screen. The game itself was a snoozer.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7332
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno where that early season magic went but they'd best find it soon. How much of this is contingent on Holmstrom & Cleary I'm not sure but scoring seems to have taken a nose dive as of late and I thought that was their one Achilles' Heel in the playoffs last year.

They no longer dominate like they did in the pre-salary cap days but they're still our Red Wings and worth our cheering on. Here's to hoping for a LONG Cup run this year.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are 8-2-0 in their last ten. They are fine.

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well yes they did lock up the "presidents Trophy" WOOP DE DOOOOOOO. gotta tell ya, its getting old, best in regular season, fall apart in playoffs, our Goalies are just not strong enough to last to the Stanley Cup round.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone talking about the Red Wings?

Can't we talk about something that Detroiters prefer to talk about...... like the Lions or Tigers?

Just turn on 97.1 FM and you'll get the drift.

Pffft...... Red Wings..... what sport do they play???

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings fans must learn to embrace the Presidents trophy. Face it, anyone can win a short tournament, its a crap shoot. Whoever is hot at the time and gets a couple of lucky bounces. But to win out over 29 other teams in the long grind that is the regular season, thats an accomplishment! Forget Stanley, we got the Presidents Trophy. Lets plan that Presidents Trophy parade on Woodward.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7459
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy there all. Late Monday PM/ early Tuesday AM here and last time I checked the Wings have NOT clinched the President's Trophy just yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here just yet. Granted our magic number is just one but with three games left you never know what's gonna happen and the Sharks are a sneaky lot.

(Message edited by smogboy on April 01, 2008)

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

President's Trophy is ours!

Way to go Zetterburg!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7472
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a beauty of a goal off the back of Leclaire. That poor goalie was great for so much of the game too. But within a span of a few minutes, he gave up some soft ones and the Wings singed them.

One teeny tiny trophy now... and hopefully a much bigger one to follow in the next few months.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We either get Calgary or Nashville in the first round. The playoff bids are set in the west.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its looks like we get Nashville in the first round.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7482
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phew... not that Nashville is a pushover by any stretch BUT it'll spare us having to fly to the coast and seeing Roberto Luongo possibly heat it up at the wrong time for us.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings Fan (first and foremost) ..... always. With "1" point tonight the Capitals will .... make the playoffs. Ovechkin is the real deal.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 870
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nashville has played them tough all year. I'm worried about that matchup. If they can get by them, I think they will go far in the playoffs.
It's amazing how good they were early in the season.
I think many are still getting to know the new players. Not many big name stars on the team and that seems odd after all these past years.
Management has done a standout job keeping them as contenders year after year with low draft choices.
Red Wing scouting has to be the league's best.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7499
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think beyond the Red Wings scouting department, a LOT has to fall on Ken Holland & Jim Nill for their management. You can have all the wonderful scouts in the world telling you all the good/ bad things about players but it still takes a savvy management team to sign the right ones. In this day & age of salary cap restrictions where Mr. Ilitch's deep pockets can't buy a winner any more, it still takes crafty drafting & smart wheeling and dealing to secure a solid contender.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One down, three to go in this series.
Not bad.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow nothing since the last, POS game?

I know I'm biased, but I'm glad to see Babcock making the right choice to put Ozzie in net tomorrow. He played extremely well all season, and Hasek looks real shaky out there. Yes, the Wings have been flat on their backs after the Preds score, but Dom should have stopped at least a couple of those goals. His save percentage is bad. He just doesn't look right.

You wanna know my guess? He's hurt. I think it was last Saturday's game (that's game 2 if I'm remembering correctly), he was crashed into and was slow to get up. I was watching the game with a friend and said "he's hurt, but he won't say anything". Who really knows, but from that point forward he played differently. Normally I applaud people who play through pain or injury, that's the stanley cup playoffs. But when you're the goalie, and you got a guy like Ozzie ready to go, you need to speak up and get yourself off the ice.

I just can't believe that three games in a row, Nashville had back to back goals 3 times in less than 32 seconds (9, 11, and 32 if I remember). Unacceptable.

The wings had better come out without sloppy D and bad changes. I'm confident Ozzie will pull more than his weight. Hate to say it but even Lidstrom and Chelios are part of the problem here. Normally those two guys you can count on to NEVER make a mistake.

We have gotta win Friday night. Cannot go back to Nashville down 3-2 after they win 3 in a row. They've already go the mojo we almost had completely taken from them.

This series is 9, 11, and 32 seconds from being OVER right now. Instead here we are 2-2 and in somewhat of a must win at the Joe. I'm gonna blow a GD gasket if the wings lose in the first round again.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too, too.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa baby, what a game! Ellis saved Nashville way too many times for comfort. Ready for the ending in Game 6.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie!

So glad they put him in tonight. Check, the stats for this year. Better yet, just watch him play. He's our guy for the playoffs.

Lot's of good hits tonight.

Of course it should have been 10-0, but Ellis stood up big time. Need to break through Sunday!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7616
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These last few games are what absolutely makes hockey playoffs the most stressful for fans to watch. Dan Ellis gets peppered all night long. His confidence grows as does his team's, whereas it's got to play into the Wings' head. "Is this guy really THAT good?" While down at the other end, Ozzie's kicking back not getting too much work, nearly going cold and eventually gives one up. Despite it being a 6 on 5, it's still disheartening to a certain degree to have the momentum swing like that in the last minute of play. Thank goodness our team's somewhat battle tested, has a solid coach and doesn't seem to alter their style of play too much (they know it works).

It still doesn't do us the Wings' fan any favors though when we're rooting for our team to move onto Round two.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoever picked the 3 stars of the game at the Joe last nite should be shot. Dan Ellis third star behind Osgood and Franzen???? Ellis had over 50 shots, many of them quality scoring chances. One of the greatest goaltending efforts you'll ever see in a playoff game. Third star? I'm a Wings fan but c'mon, give credit where its due. Thats embarrassing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7619
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have to agree there Downriviera. Ellis should've gotten the first star by a long shot. He was the only thing keeping the Preds in the game for the most part. I can see where Franzen gets a star because he netted the game winner but Ozzie getting selected as well? I can easily see where it could've gone to a Holmstrom, Kronwall (two assists), Zetterberg, Datsyuk or even a Samuelsson.

That being said, I don't want to see Dan Ellis even being close to getting nominated for a star selection the next game. Ideally he'd get chased after a barrage of Wings goals and his back-up isn't any better.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.